Working at Disney- Ruin the Magic???

ajt5027

If you really, really want to work for Disney especially at the professional or corporate level, they always try to promote from within. They get thousands and thousands of resumes all the time and they just get filed away. I have had a lot of friends who say I send Disney my resume all the time and never get a response.

The easiest way would be to accept any job maybe in attractions or resorts or food and beverage, then you can applying for the internal postings, at least, they will look at your resume and give you a chance to be considered.

Good to know. Thanks.

littlegoofy1

I did CP in 99 and it was a great experience....although during Orientation we toured the tunnels at MK and I saw Prince Charming and Peter Pan kiss in a breakroom..that dashed any hopes of being PCs next Cinderella..:ROFLOL:I worked as a CM at AK in the boneyard...for I while I would cringe when I heard any other music played in there, now I hear it and smile. I am still a Disney fanatic with 2 boys of my own that also love WDW....they asked at least once a month when we are going back to Disney World...and my 5 year old says he only likes to go on the interstate when we are going to the world. So, did it ruin the magic, not at all and I still recommend the CP to anyone who asked, and often do to those who don't..lol...

If you really, really want to work for Disney especially at the professional or corporate level, they always try to promote from within. They get thousands and thousands of resumes all the time and they just get filed away. I have had a lot of friends who say I send Disney my resume all the time and never get a response.

The easiest way would be to accept any job maybe in attractions or resorts or food and beverage, then you can applying for the internal postings, at least, they will look at your resume and give you a chance to be considered.

thanks for the tip...
it is a dream of mine to work for disney and eventaually we plan on moving down to florida. the wife and i have always wondered how we could start to work for disney and the be one of those people that are in the suits. Being use to retail hours, its not a big deal for working from 6am to whenever.
this post is great and gives me a better understanding from cms perspectives on the behind the sceens. being a disney freak we have always had worries that it would spoil a lot of things with working at disney, thanks to everyone who posted in here with their insight

rct247

Most people have summed it up pretty well, but I'll add my two cents.

When I first started working at Disney, my excitement was as anyone's would be. I'd go to the parks all the time. Disney was my life 24/7: eat, breath, work, play... ALL DISNEY, ALL THE TIME.

Now, I have toned things down a bit. Disney is still my life, but it is also a job. I don't always spend my days off at the parks anymore. Dumb tourists bug me a lot and there are so many things I could point out as wrong that I normally wouldn't see. You get to see where budgets are cut, how cast members really feel, how neglected some things can get, and that there is always a different side to the magic... an ugly truth or a hidden technicality or a shocking realization. You see what works and what doesn't, what gets fixed and what doesn't, who works hard and who doesn't. You see the best and the worst, and yes the "pixie dust" sometimes just becomes "glitter".

But I haven't lost the magic. There are far too many things on property to experience, far too many details to be amazed by. Despite seeing backstage Mickey yesterday, onstage Mickey will always be real, my pal, and the best "boss" I could ever have. The emotional take away that rubs off from others is what sticks. I get reminded everyday about the magic I make in my job whether its a "kid's say the darnedest things" moment or the sincere thank you I get from adults. I get to play and pretend while doing a job and getting paid.

Working at Disney is not for everyone. It does take a very VERY, and I MEAN VERY VERY patient person, but if you can laugh at the bad times and buy into your imagination, you'll never lose the magic. It's special to be a part of and something to take pride in.

Coach81

Original Poster

So in about 5 - 10 years.. what would be step on for a "retired old guy".. just send a resume' and take any position offered???

Most people have summed it up pretty well, but I'll add my two cents.

When I first started working at Disney, my excitement was as anyone's would be. I'd go to the parks all the time. Disney was my life 24/7: eat, breath, work, play... ALL DISNEY, ALL THE TIME.

Now, I have toned things down a bit. Disney is still my life, but it is also a job. I don't always spend my days off at the parks anymore. Dumb tourists bug me a lot and there are so many things I could point out as wrong that I normally wouldn't see. You get to see where budgets are cut, how cast members really feel, how neglected some things can get, and that there is always a different side to the magic... an ugly truth or a hidden technicality or a shocking realization. You see what works and what doesn't, what gets fixed and what doesn't, who works hard and who doesn't. You see the best and the worst, and yes the "pixie dust" sometimes just becomes "glitter".

But I haven't lost the magic. There are far too many things on property to experience, far too many details to be amazed by. Despite seeing backstage Mickey yesterday, onstage Mickey will always be real, my pal, and the best "boss" I could ever have. The emotional take away that rubs off from others is what sticks. I get reminded everyday about the magic I make in my job whether its a "kid's say the darnedest things" moment or the sincere thank you I get from adults. I get to play and pretend while doing a job and getting paid.

Working at Disney is not for everyone. It does take a very VERY, and I MEAN VERY VERY patient person, but if you can laugh at the bad times and buy into your imagination, you'll never lose the magic. It's special to be a part of and something to take pride in.

Great reply.. this sounds like how my attitude would be.. I believe... thanks so much.

Coach81

Original Poster
Next Topic- Has anyone ever Quit?

So have any of you ever heard, or have yourself quit working at Disney because you really didn't like it???

HS0411

So have any of you ever heard, or have yourself quit working at Disney because you really didn't like it???

I'll be totally honest. I did quit DCL.

When I transfered from WDW to DCL, I was expecting longer hours, but the same management philosipy. It didn't happen. I really don't want to get nasty or spill major "magic-making" secrets, but I will comment on one of the biggest complaints I got at Guest Services. "This isn't how they do it at WDW." CM on board never understood why it would upset guests so much, but I was able to empathize with them, cause the same thing was happening backstage. One of the biggest negative complaints I've heard is that DCL is nothing more than a typical cruise ship with characters on it. And sometimes I can't disagree. The working conditions are hard too. Long hours, little sleep, and just no social life just about destroyed me. It's not a lifestyle everyone can live.

Do I regret moving to DCL? Not at all. I got do my "dream" job at Disney; working backstage with the CM. I always tell people they are 1000 CM on board, 50 are American, and they represent over 70 countries. Who wouldn't want to interact with them? My crew was truly amazing. I've meet people from countries I thought I would never go to and now get an amazing opportunity to go just cause I have a "friend" there. I cannot say enough amazing things about the crew. I would give them everything I could.

When people find out that I worked for DCL they always ask if I liked it. And my response is always the same-- "It is the best and worst job I have ever had."

EvanAnderson

When I first started, it was so amazing. I loved the attraction I was at, and the Cast Members I worked with. They were very fun, and made work a wonderful place.

Then came the guests. While working, you will (WILL) meet the lowest scum of the Earth. They will scam you left and right, lying straight to your face, yell at you, attempt to hit you, tell you that you were the reason their vacation is ruined, attempt to fire you, make fun of you, threaten you and make you realize that no magic in the world is worth this.

If you can deal with that on a constant basis, then you'll love it.

flavious27

I'm sure this has been asked before.. but I was just wondering while we were on our way home the other day....

Everthing seems to be so "perfect" and "magical" while you are staying at WDW..

I've often thought of retiring and getting a part-time or even full-time job there... but I wonder for those that actually work for Disney.. does it ruin the Magic???

Does Disney just become "just a job"?

Do Disney employee's get up in the morning like a lot of people and "hate going to work"?

If any current or former Disney employees would like to.. I'd love to hear your comments on this..

Thanks...

Anytime you see the interworkings, the magic is lost. As for dissatisfaction with your job, working at disney does not make a bad job better.

graphite1326

Wife and I have often talked about retiring to Disney....

I'll be the "old guy" at Disney Junior (playhouse disney) watching the stage...

My wife wants to run the monorail... LOL

I want to be the old guy that yells "ALL ABOARD!"
8 years till I retire. Think the job will still be there?

Coach81

Original Poster
When I first started, it was so amazing. I loved the attraction I was at, and the Cast Members I worked with. They were very fun, and made work a wonderful place.

Then came the guests. While working, you will (WILL) meet the lowest scum of the Earth. They will scam you left and right, lying straight to your face, yell at you, attempt to hit you, tell you that you were the reason their vacation is ruined, attempt to fire you, make fun of you, threaten you and make you realize that no magic in the world is worth this.

If you can deal with that on a constant basis, then you'll love it.

Curious is to how the guests try to "scam you"? How do they try to get you fired?? Please, give details.. this is facinating to me..

Anytime you see the interworkings, the magic is lost. As for dissatisfaction with your job, working at disney does not make a bad job better.

Yes, this is what I am afraid of... when you see the "nuts and bolts".. it just becomes a "regular job"..

I will always appreciate what Disney does
AMEN!!!
I want to be the old guy that yells "ALL ABOARD!"
8 years till I retire. Think the job will still be there?

I've got one more year 'til my 20th here in public education.. I want to be the "old guy" at Playhouse Disney Jr... ;)

Edeyore

How is the cost of living in the Orlando area? I was thinking of trying to get a job with Disney, but the pay rates appeared a bit low.

sbkline

I was talking to a coworker about this sort of topic yesteray. Not WDW specifically, but it did come up as an example. She was talking about how when we're kids and we think it's the coolest thing to see the leaves change colors, almost like magic. But then we find out the scientific reason why it happens and it just sucks all the fun out of it now that we know "how" it happens. So naturally, I used the example of WDW and how it is such a magical place for me, but I can't fathom working there for the same reason. When it becomes just another day at work, and I see it every day and I know the inner workings of the place, I'm afraid it would just suck the fun right out of it. It is such a beautiful place to see as a guest, but then as an employee, you walk backstage and see the garbage bags and the off duty employees cussing, talking about each other and the "workzone" rather than the illusion created for the guests and I just think it would ruin it for me. But that's just me.

CP_alum08

I wouldn't say it ruins the magic, no. It just shows you different aspects of the WDW, both good and bad. Like most have said, obviously there will be good days and bad days but as long as the good outweigh the bad, you should be all set.

For me, I wasn't a big WDW fan before I did the College Program. I had been with my family before, seen the movies, shows, etc. but it never really hit me. Something changed in me those 6 months I worked at WDW, corny as that sounds! I started going to parks at least once a week on my days off, started reading books and watching behind the scenes shows/movies, I began to love it. So for me, not only did it not ruin the magic, I think it actually made it stronger. Now when I take people to the parks I can say "hey look at that, I used to do that!" or "I know how they do that!"

olinecoach61

I have always dreamed of retiring and being a ticket taker at the front gates. Seeing the look in people's eyes as they enter must be great!

I worked as a CP then a part time CM (total a little over a year). It did not ruin anything for me, but I think it really depends on you. A lot of people just look at it as a job, if you do that, well than it probably will ruin the "magic" for you.

I worked at Pleasure Island, so I dealt with drunks complaining about $8 beers, so I still enjoyed going to the MK multiple times week. If you have to stare at the castle all day taking photo pass pictures, it's obviously going to take away from going to the MK for fun.

If you want to work for Disney and not ruin your feeling towards it, try and get a job somewhere outside of the parks, or just not at your favorite park if you think it will ruin something. As a CM you can still go in the tunnels if you want even if you do not work at the MK, and if you want all that to stay a secret, don't go down there.

That's my advice.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I became a Disney geek largely because I was a CP in 2004. I worked at the Palm/Magnolia golf course and picked up a LOT of hours working door host at 8-trax(may it RIP).

Now I'm seasonal but I work at least one day a week and I have a full time IT job. Working at WDW can destroy the magic if you let it. My biggest peve is with management from frontline all the way up to Meg Crofton(I think Staggs and Iger are doing a good job). Having said that, I do 2 things to control my "magic" level. 1. I understand the things I can not control and do not focus on them. I walked into a VP's office and expressed some concerns. Nothing was done and now I just let it go because I know I personally did the right thing and went to the highest level I could. At this point, it's on Disney's hands. 2. I take a personal pledge to protect the magic and keep Walt's dream alive.

It sounds corny, but there is a reason I'm on message boards and go on big group cruises on DCL, talk to Disney legends, see performances by Disney people(Jodi Benson being one) etc. Disney isn't just a job for me, it's a hobby and one I'm QUITE passionate about. I'm the guy walking around the park not working, picking up trash, closing gates that are showing backstage areas, taking pictures for people, and budding into conversatons when I hear questions from people that I can answer(I really try to limit doing that...some like it some hate it).

Seeing the tunnels never threatened the magic for me. It's all about seeing things that don't preserve Walt's vision that hurt me. If you take a personal interest in keeping the magic alive for others, the magic will never disappear for you and I firmly believe that.

If, however, it's just another job and you would have no interest in talking to someone like Bob Gurr or hearing Jodi Benson in person, then it's like every other job. It's up to each individual to create their own experience. Unfortuantely there are way too many who view it as "just another job" but that's another subject coughCPscough

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom