Working at Disney- Ruin the Magic???

Magenta Panther

Does WDW hire older people? My aunt has expressed interest in moving to Florida and working at the park. (By "older" I mean she's in her late '50's.).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Coach,

I'm with you. I would love to retire and go to work at Disney. I just need to convince my wife to move back to the Orlando area.

BTW, I read somewhere else that Disney is VERY hesitant about hiring someone from outside the Orlando area. I was told that it's simply because they will rarely pay for relocation, and only if you have a very specific job skill that is hard to come by, and no one local really fits the bill. Very rare I would think for anything other than very upper management.

I would not have a problem with losing the magic. I have been going to WDW since the mid 70's when I used to live in Orlando, and have been on the backstage tours, and I think being able to make magic for someone else would be awesome!

As far as dealing with guests, I am VERY patient, and could withstand the stupid guest onslaught. I have worked customer service for over 30 years, and I am not surprised by the dumb things people will say to get what the want, or think they deserve anymore! I see it every trip we make when some guest thinks that because they spent money to get there, they should be able to do whatever they want. Sheesh! It's amazing sometimes! Best advice is to kill them with kindness. Usually does the trick.

Good luck! Let us know what happens, and we'll be sure to look you up!

Timekeeper

BTW, I read somewhere else that Disney is VERY hesitant about hiring someone from outside the Orlando area. I was told that it's simply because they will rarely pay for relocation, and only if you have a very specific job skill that is hard to come by, and no one local really fits the bill. Very rare I would think for anything other than very upper management.

Disney doesn't have to know where she is physically residing at the time of her application. For example, lots of screenwriters outside of Hollywood maintain a mailing PO BOX in or around Hollywood so that they might be "taken more seriously" by the readers and studios. If applying for [any job really, Disney or otherwise] that is far from your current residence, it's common practice to list a local address, often friends or family in the area.

Edit: The only scenario in which this wouldn't work is if your specific job required a license to practice in a given locality, such as a lawyer who desires to move into a new state (and must pass the bar exam in that new state).

Especially in a bad economy, a job applicant needs to be viewed as "readily available," even if that really means taking a long drive or booking a last minute flight in order to make the scheduled interview, etc.

Good luck :)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'm heading down next Monday. I think what'll keep it good for me is simply that I have realistic expectations. That'll make all the difference in the world.

Journey_On

Timekeeper, I really like your magic trick analogy!! So true.

I like my (seasonal) job at WDW more than my current FT job outside of WDW.

It hasn't ruined the magic for me. Actually in October 2010, I went to go see Eeyore, and I almost teared up when I met him.

I also really like learning about all the behind the scenes stuff. I feel honored to be a part of helping guests have a memorable vacation experience. :)

yensid67

I'm sure this has been asked before.. but I was just wondering while we were on our way home the other day....

Everthing seems to be so "perfect" and "magical" while you are staying at WDW..

I've often thought of retiring and getting a part-time or even full-time job there... but I wonder for those that actually work for Disney.. does it ruin the Magic???

Does Disney just become "just a job"?

Do Disney employee's get up in the morning like a lot of people and "hate going to work"?

If any current or former Disney employees would like to.. I'd love to hear your comments on this..

Thanks...

#1- NO, the magic doesn't get ruined, even for the Casat Member. I was amazed how things change from the time I would leave the parks until I returned the next morning!
#2- Like in all jobs, it is what you make of it! Attitude has alot to making it more than a job! You have to WANT to be there to make the magic, basically with Disney its CUSTOMER SERVICE that you have to deliver on a daily basis and if you are not willing to do that then you might as well work for McDonald's where its emphasized as much!
#3- When I worked there, I always LOVED getting up and making the magic everyday for the guests. Its not only rewarding for the guests, it is very rewarding for the Cast Members!

I always thought of it this way...(something that they said in Traditions and it has stuck in my mind to this very day)

"Many of the guests have saved for years, sometimes even longer. It is our 'role' to make magical memories that will ast them a lifetime!" (or something to that effect)

I always felt it was a priviledge to make their memories magical in everyway we could! I will say without any reservation, Being in a role at Walt Disney World was the best thing I could have done in my life!

SMS55

It would depend on the employee. I had an ex-girlfriend who worked there as part of the hospitality program and she loved it. She definitely bought into everything and had a good time. She even got mad at me a few times when I said something that would "ruin the magic" around a child. It did help to learn a few things to make the most out of the trip and even get things to benefit me. I went backstage a few times to certain areas that family and friends were allowed. It didn't ruin it for me. I found it kind of interesting to see how some things work.
The one negative she did say was that foreign students are treated a little differently. She says that the belief is they know kids from the U.S. won't put up with stuff that foreign kids will. Some foreigners are threatened with termination and loss of their work visa (which means they must return within a week) for certain behaviors. They fear being "blacklisted" if it's possible. They fear that if they ever return whatever happened at Disney would prevent them from returning. Most of them are here to make a little money to take back home because lots of overtime is allowed and to improve their english. In many countries learning english carries as much weight as a college degree.

ddbowdoin

I just wish I could honestly afford to take the paycut and move to FL. I suppose working for a hedge fund here in Boston I could transfer some skill sets and try and work corporate. But there is no way I could leave here and become a CM inside the gates... I owe too much money to too many people

SulleyanBoo

I worked there full time for a few months and also did a 6 month internship last year in January. It doesn't neccessarilly "ruin the magic" but, it does feel different than being there as a guest. It feels like a "job" when you work anywhere in quick serivce food and beverage. I would NOT reccomend working in QSFB. Try something like attractions, or main entrance operations where you greet guests. It doesn't really spoil the magic as much because you are more so enjoying everything WITH the guests as where in food and beverage you are stuck on register all day or cooking in the kitchen all day. Disney is a fun place to work and you get to meet a TON of amazing people from all around the world. The experience is great and you get into the park for free...what gets better than that :animwink: Good luck!

ddbowdoin

I worked there full time for a few months and also did a 6 month internship last year in January. It doesn't neccessarilly "ruin the magic" but, it does feel different than being there as a guest. It feels like a "job" when you work anywhere in quick serivce food and beverage. I would NOT reccomend working in QSFB. Try something like attractions, or main entrance operations where you greet guests. It doesn't really spoil the magic as much because you are more so enjoying everything WITH the guests as where in food and beverage you are stuck on register all day or cooking in the kitchen all day. Disney is a fun place to work and you get to meet a TON of amazing people from all around the world. The experience is great and you get into the park for free...what gets better than that :animwink: Good luck!

cleaning up trash and smelling oil would likely suck no matter where you are... I know what you mean there

SulleyanBoo

cleaning up trash and smelling oil would likely suck no matter where you are... I know what you mean there

:lol:Yes! I hated cleaning the trash cans. It ruined ketchup for me for a while lol. I loved when they would have me as a greeter because I just got to interact with guests and give them helpful information about the parks..I was in heaven there. I would LOVE a role in guest relations. I wanted to be a Guest Realtions CM since I was about 5 years old.

ddbowdoin

:lol:Yes! I hated cleaning the trash cans. It ruined ketchup for me for a while lol. I loved when they would have me as a greeter because I just got to interact with guests and give them helpful information about the parks..I was in heaven there. I would LOVE a role in guest relations. I wanted to be a Guest Realtions CM since I was about 5 years old.

I think it's a shame what these people make... I mean how the heck do people support themselves? I know I make X amount more an hour and I struggle myself.

SulleyanBoo

I think it's a shame what these people make... I mean how the heck do people support themselves? I know I make X amount more an hour and I struggle myself.

I know. Hense why I said I worked there full time a couple years ago, and then I also did the college program last year. A couple years ago when I worked there, I wanted to make a career out of it but that is when the economy started dropping at a fast rate and my fiance and I could not afford it as much as we LOVED living in orlando and working for Disney. When I did the DCP I lived in their housing, so rent was taken out of our paychecks so it was easier to afford.

Communicore

Hah, tell me about it. I was the king of the closers at CRSC for two years. That means closing at 3 or 4 am sometimes. I reeked of fryer oil, AVAC, and spoilage combined. But I had a ton of fun. I worked a couple months in the back which felt like a real job but when I became a runner, tray gatherer, cashier, and working the fixin's bar it was great. I still reeked of the condiments and the fixins, ha ha ha...Working in the back had its moments though.

I_heart_Tigger

It only ruins the magic if you let it. My first week I was backstage and saw a girl wearing the Mickey costume but she had the head off and was leaning on it, smoking a cigarette and screaming at her boyfriend on her cell phone.

But...

I went to the parks all the time on my days off, met the most amazing people and have friends now that I still see that worked with me 15 years ago. We are actually having a 15 year reunion in September at WDW.

I've been back on vacation a dozen times since then and, you know when you check into your resort and they say "Welcome Home" well it feels more special for me because it was my home for 18 months.

Besides, how many people can say that Belle is their best friend and that they used to date Tigger - btw he is a bouncy and wonderful thing :animwink::lookaroun

SulleyanBoo

Hah, tell me about it. I was the king of the closers at CRSC for two years. That means closing at 3 or 4 am sometimes. I reeked of fryer oil, AVAC, and spoilage combined. But I had a ton of fun. I worked a couple months in the back which felt like a real job but when I became a runner, tray gatherer, cashier, and working the fixin's bar it was great. I still reeked of the condiments and the fixins, ha ha ha...Working in the back had its moments though.

AVAC--OH THE AGONY HAHA
Yes! Working in the back can be a killer. People don't even know lol! My favorite thing was taking up the trays (sometimes) Mostly because I got to interact with guests. They had me on register A LOT. I mean 4 hours at a time during busy season. I knew if I was greeter and the restaurant started getting crowded I was going to hear those coordinators calling my name "Lauren, get on register please" :rolleyes: And, I worked at Electric Umbrella so that got crowded every darn day! But, I won't lie..I do miss it a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom