Working at Disney- Ruin the Magic???

Crockett

Banned
For me it would. Living in the Orlando area period would take away the magic of being on vacation. Don't get me wrong, I love the area down there and have nothing but respect for CM's and all they do. Just not for me.

To me it's special seeing Spaceship Earth in the distance for the 1st time after being away for a year. That would lose it's effect being a resident and working for Disney. The place is special as being my home away from home.

Wilt Dasney

For me it did take something away from the place, at least temporarily.

Someone mentioned earlier that it couldn't ruin the magic because they already know it's not real. That was basically my approach. I went in with the attitude of "I already know this stuff is fake and I already know that the real magic is because of hard working cast members providing illusions to guests, so I'll just gain a deeper appreciation of that."

But I still wasn't prepared for the psychological effects of having the veil pulled away, even if I thought I was. Even though I knew the place wasn't powered on pixie dust, I guess I expected to see something a little brighter and warmer at the center of it all than what I found.

Too many people seemed to be there because they were just there, instead of because they loved the idea of making people happy. Even with one of the best "roles" on property, the work became too rote for me and didn't inspire my imagination. Cliques and drama and everyday junk bled over into my working experience (much of it likely due to my own status as a narcissistic undergraduate at the time!), and it wore me down mentally.

Whatever the combination of factors was, it disenchanted me, and I honestly didn't think I'd ever be interested in going back when my program was up.

But...for better or worse, that all faded away. When I go back now, it all feels "real" to me again. Whatever it was about the place that spoke to me still does, even knowing what I know about it. There is something there, even though I know I can find it more easily as a guest.

So my own answer would be...yes, it can spoil the magic. But if you're on this board and interested enough in Disney that you even consider this question, there's probably nothing that can permanently kill the magic for you.

Coach81

Original Poster
Great comments..

I know I would be stunned to some degree if I saw Cindy or Ariel tokin' on a cigarette!!!

I also imagine there is some "drama" and I'm sure some politics involved as is with every other job... such is the way of the world I guess.

As I think about it.. I'm not sure I would ever want to be an employee.. It would devestate me to have my "happy place" burned down due to the everyday stress of "work"...

But still I wonder... would'nt it be better to work for Disney than almost any other job???

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I was a Castmember on the College Program in 2003. It does 'ruin' some of the magic for some people. But for me, it made me appreciate with Disney does day in, and day out, that much more.

I'd do another CP or work there in a heartbeat.

Coach81

Original Poster
Wife and I have often talked about retiring to Disney....

I'll be the "old guy" at Disney Junior (playhouse disney) watching the stage...

My wife wants to run the monorail... LOL

pluto77

I did the college program for 8 months in 2004. I kind of feel like it made it magical in a different way. I could make memories for other people, and being able to walk into the parks whenever I wanted was great for me. Some people may say they get tired of it, but I thought it was great to be able to go just for a few hours out of the day to may ride 1 ride and go shopping, and experience the atmosphere. I went on the college program knowing that I was kind of taking a break from my life though, so I don't know if my feelings would be different just working full time.

It was a little strange seeing a headless Minnie running through the tunnels my first day lol. Or seeing Cinderella walking around talking on her pink cell phone. There's typical work place drama, and gossip spreads faster than high school it seems. And, of course, a lot of guests seem to leave their brains at home when on vacation. I loved it though. I definitely still feel the magic now.

Nicole220

It does ruin the magic a bit. Whenever I walk around DCA on my day off and hear the background music that I have to listen to for 4-6 hours a day, I think "ugh, work." Makes me glad I don't work in Disneyland. I would never want that ruined for me. The saying "work in DCA and play in DL" is very true.

But I absolutely love my job. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Yes I get yelled at, I get the same stupid questions a thousand times a day, I work a lot of hours with little pay, but then there are the moments that make it all worth it. Plus, the CM friends I have are the best and really make my job. There's drama and whatnot backstage, like others have said, but that can be avoided/ignored.

pintraderpayee

I have been "behind the scenes" a tiny bit with students attending Y.E.S. Programs and was worried that it would take away the magic, but it never has. In fact, it made me appreciate the "show" even more. I admire the CMs so much because over the past decade of annual trips, I have seen CMs have to deal with some VERY rude guests and still keep their cool. I actually yelled at a man because he was rude to a CM at Epcot. She was telling me it was okay, but I let him have it anyway!:lol:

beyondyou

Wife and I have often talked about retiring to Disney....

I'll be the "old guy" at Disney Junior (playhouse disney) watching the stage...

My wife wants to run the monorail... LOL

Ah, youre talking about my old job(the people that sit in front of the stage at Disney Junior)
That was such a fun job. If you want to do that one, you also will want to love The Little Mermaid.
I saw that show and Disney Junior about 7-8 times a day.
Overall some of the magic does get ruined, especially if you work at a park. After work my friends would want to go to a park and i would say "anything but Hollywood studios!!!" haha. It makes you appreciate more too though. you try to look for the details in the parks that many people overlook

ImaYoyo

depends on where you work too. remember, the frontline cast that you see every day are just a portion of the picture. Less than 1/2 of the Cast Members here actually work in a frontline position. Don't forget about us other people :)

I personally work away from the parks in more of an office / traveling environment, so I deeply appreciate getting to the parks and resorts. It's refreshing and a wonderful change of pace to stop by for fun!

HS0411

Ah, youre talking about my old job(the people that sit in front of the stage at Disney Junior)
That was such a fun job. If you want to do that one, you also will want to love The Little Mermaid.
I saw that show and Disney Junior about 7-8 times a day.
Overall some of the magic does get ruined, especially if you work at a park. After work my friends would want to go to a park and i would say "anything but Hollywood studios!!!" haha. It makes you appreciate more too though. you try to look for the details in the parks that many people overlook

I have no idea how I could work at DHS (MGM when I was there) during the day. I had one day shift at 50s Prime Time Cafe and could not stand the HSM Pep Rally that I head like 7 times. I couldn't deal with it everyday.

I guess my biggest advantage was working at the resorts, so the parks were not my "work" environment. Even when I picked up shifts at the parks, it was like being a guest. I could have fun. Just don't ask me where the closest restroom is, cause I have no idea!

EvilQueen-T

my sister didn't work at disney but did work at the front desk of a great resort in orlando when she was just out of high school. she has always said it can be hard when you feel the day to day drag of being at work when everyone around you is on vacation. she says it often made it really hard to get up and go when she was tired or didn't feel well that kind of thing.

yensid67

I'm sure this has been asked before.. but I was just wondering while we were on our way home the other day....

Everthing seems to be so "perfect" and "magical" while you are staying at WDW..

I've often thought of retiring and getting a part-time or even full-time job there... but I wonder for those that actually work for Disney.. does it ruin the Magic???

When I worked for Mickey in 1998-1999, I was just as amazed as they were with the 'magic' of the World!

Does Disney just become "just a job"?

For some it is and will always be 'just a job', but its what you put into it that makes it more than 'just a job'.

Do Disney employee's get up in the morning like a lot of people and "hate going to work"?

Those who 'get up and hate going to work' should not even be working for Disney! If you love your job, it will show in your interaction with the guests. So next time you are at WDW, if you have a good guest experience with a Cast Member, you know he/she loves her job! Its depends on how you look at your ROLE in the parks. You can either love or hate it and it doesn't matter how much pixie dust is available!
My personal experience was I looked at my role from a customer service point, I enjoy helping others. I often thought how long my guests had to scrimp and save just to spend one day in the World! That really got to me and kept my head on straight. There were times when I was driving to work that I felt like crap, but as soon as I passed through the gates a sort of "MAGIC SPELL" came over me that made me happy! Being a Cast Member was the highlight of my life and I will always treasure my year of memories. I hope this helps!?

Will:wave:

If any current or former Disney employees would like to.. I'd love to hear your comments on this..

Thanks...

My answers are in BLUE!

Coach81

Original Poster
I have no idea how I could work at DHS (MGM when I was there) during the day. I had one day shift at 50s Prime Time Cafe and could not stand the HSM Pep Rally that I head like 7 times. I couldn't deal with it everyday.

I guess my biggest advantage was working at the resorts, so the parks were not my "work" environment. Even when I picked up shifts at the parks, it was like being a guest. I could have fun. Just don't ask me where the closest restroom is, cause I have no idea!

Yeah, I bet that would get old REAL QUICK!!!

DisneySaint

It is what it is and no one will be able to definitively tell you how it will be for you. I have friends that have worked in the parks for 10 years and still go every weekend. And we're talking about people like tour guides who already live in all 4 parks 5 or more days a week.
For me, it didn't "ruin" the magic, per se. I did become "bored" after a time, however. For example, my first year I used up every single "free entry" I had in the first few months. By year 3, I had used maybe 1 entry. While there won't ever be the "pure" and "innocent" magic of before for me, it certainly isn't ruined for life.
My advice? Pace yourself. Too many CP's or otherwise get there and just burn themselves out going to the parks every second possible early on. By the end they are trying to find something to do. Preserve the magic as long as you can and in every way you can.

Alektronic

I have worked here for over 25 years, many different depts, about 10 or 11, every park, a couple of resorts, even the water parks. Every location and every dept is different and that is what I like about it. If you get tired of your job or don't like the hours or schedule or maybe the supervisor or manager, just transfer to another dept and still keep your seniority and vacations and everything.

I still enjoy going to the parks, but instead of going like a tourist and try to pack everything in one day, I just go for a couple of hours and grab a meal or see a show or visit a new attraction or new event then head back home.

I know a lot of my co-workers plan to work here part-time after retirement just to give them something to do. Just a fun job for something to do.

Alektronic

I've thought about this for a long time myself. Did I really want to ruin the magic? And I came conclusion that If I'm going to do the 9-5 thing, why not do it at a place I love?

That being said, Does anyone know if there is a way to follow-up with Disney HR? I have been applying for jobs at corporate the past couple months and I really want to follow-up with someone but I dont know how. I know with Disney its a waiting game...but I've been flooding them with my resume. Any intel on the subject would be appreciated.

If you really, really want to work for Disney especially at the professional or corporate level, they always try to promote from within. They get thousands and thousands of resumes all the time and they just get filed away. I have had a lot of friends who say I send Disney my resume all the time and never get a response.

The easiest way would be to accept any job maybe in attractions or resorts or food and beverage, then you can applying for the internal postings, at least, they will look at your resume and give you a chance to be considered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom