Press event Tuesday, Jan. 18th.

rct247

Much better press event than the last mistake, but still nothing amazing. I know things have changed with the internet, but where was the excitement. I was pleased with the info provided about the new castle projections, but I was bummed to not hear more info on Fantasyland. I know projects can change, but why not provide more details on a timeline or more ride details on the Snow White mine.

I also understand they don't want the media to forget about other previous announcements like Countdown to Fun, Disney Dream, Star Tours II, etc, but is it really necessary to repeat it all each press event. If this presentation was an English paper and I was back in high school, my teacher would get on to me about unnecessary fluff. Get to the point, eloquently.

I am also all for Walt Disney quotes and philosophies and making magic, memories, and having dreams come true, but I do hate when corporate execs talk about it. They make it feel so superficial and disconnected from what actually goes on in the parks. Along with that, their research felt fake too. I see and overhear children at WDW everyday the ones interviewed are out there, but few and far between.

Press events are all about painting the magical perfect scenario of course, but sometimes Disney press events take it too much to the extreme.

I'm happy with the new concept art and the new information released today, but the past press event in New York and the "new" Countdown to LAME parade still leave sour tastes in my mouth that Disney needs to realize. Impress me Disney, don't woe me.

raven

Original Poster
Seven Dwarves Mine Train...that'll have the park hitting capacity more often. :brick: Not sure TDO is grasping what families want these days.

Aren't they striving to fill the park anyway? Sounds to me like that's what they want.

Rich1

Raven...Im saying it won't have people rushing to the park to fill it. I wish it would and I know that's what Disney wants/needs. I just dont think this announcement included something that is going to have a wow factor for guests. I know they are trying..but R&D needs to do a better job of realizing what guests are hoping for when they visit WDW. I'm telling you..unless this "coaster" is at least as intense as Space Mountain then it won't be a major hit. WDW needs a major attraction with an OMG, im going to ______ my pants kind of feeling. And with this whole "family friendly" attitude..it gets forgotten that families eventually consist of teens and young adults. Just not sure that SW is going to get ppl pumped.

S

stphnbogert

Raven...Im saying it won't have people rushing to the park to fill it. I wish it would and I know that's what Disney wants/needs. I just dont think this announcement included something that is going to have a wow factor for guests. I know they are trying..but R&D needs to do a better job of realizing what guests are hoping for when they visit WDW. I'm telling you..unless this "coaster" is at least as intense as Space Mountain then it won't be a major hit. WDW needs a major attraction with an OMG, im going to ______ my pants kind of feeling. And with this whole "family friendly" attitude..it gets forgotten that families eventually consist of teens and young adults. Just not sure that SW is going to get ppl pumped.

thats the thing though. FLE isn't the answer to HP. Something else is i'm sure. I'm sure the Monster's Inc. roller coaster being proposed is one of those OMG feelings. Disney knows what they have to do. I'm sure they know they need to broaden their demographic but this wasn't the event do announce it in. I'm sure A LOT of things are being proposed right now on how to counter attack HP.

raven

Original Poster

Did you not hear what was said in the press announcement? Disney researched kids and asked them personally what they wanted from a vacation. Riding the attractions with their parents and siblings rated pretty high. The mine coaster is in Fantasyland which is geared for younger guests. Why make an intense ride, that younger kids can't go on, smack in the middle of a place like that?

Another time, another place for that.

Rich1

..again there is no answer or response for what HP is. Thats not possible. Disney needs to create experience for all ages..even the forgotten. Everyone thinks that family friendly means that all attractions should be able to be enjoyed by every member of the family. That's not the case, there should be attractions for every member of the family. WDW has 3..in four parks..they have 3 that are really a wow factor for teens and young adults. I'd argue not even so much Everest or ToT at this point are that thrilling as it is. Unfortunately, they forget sometimes that ages 2-6 arent the only ones going through the turnstiles.

raven

Original Poster
thats the thing though. FLE isn't the answer to HP. Something else is i'm sure. I'm sure the Monster's Inc. roller coaster being proposed is one of those OMG feelings. Disney knows what they have to do. I'm sure they know they need to broaden their demographic but this wasn't the event do announce it in. I'm sure A LOT of things are being proposed right now on how to counter attack HP.

I especially liked how a blogger responded a few times on the Wesh 2 site about how Universal Execs were laughing somewhere. Well, Disney did research on it's guests on what they want and they are gearing it toward them. The majority of attractions at IOA are geared toward different age groups and not ones that incorporates all guests.

Tigger1988

I swear people just go LOOKING for things to complain about.

You were told in great detail what the press event was going to include and were warned to not get lofty ideas about big secret announcements. Yet people still complain.:hammer:

Tom

Beta Return
I especially liked how a blogger responded a few times on the Wesh 2 site about how Universal Execs were laughing somewhere. Well, Disney did research on it's guests on what they want and they are gearing it toward them. The majority of attractions at IOA are geared toward different age groups and not ones that incorporates all guests.

Exactly. WDW and UO cater to completely different demographics.

TalkingHead

I wouldn't trust Disney's "research" to tell me if the sky is blue.

If you actually think they respond to the research and don't create the research to justify their decisions, you're crazy.

Rich1

Raven..I agree that FL isn't the place for a ride like that. And I'm sure kids ages 2-7 did say this about riding with their families. I'm just stating that as long as there are plans in the works for more then great, I just hope that certain potential guests arent forgotten over the long haul. Prime example is Alien Encounter, its ok for WDW to have something intense sometimes. It doesnt need to be dumbed down so little ones can somewhat enjoy it.

Lee

Adventurer
The guy talking about the castle projections has 100X more energy than Eric Jacobson did talking about what probably most of us were most excited about :lol:
That's his style. Jacobson is kinda dry like that. Not at all firey like Rohde.

Where's Lee with all his hinting about something huge being announced tonight?
I hinted that they had something else that they could possibly announce. When they released the art and press release, it became clear that nothing else would be forthcoming from tonight's event.

Lee said something may be announced, though doubtfully tonight, most likely within the year, or at the Destination D conference. He (nor any other insider) made any promises that there would be another announcement, though they hinted it was a possibility.
Yep. There is more brewing that we haven't really discussed here yet...well...one thread maybe.:lookaroun

Seven Dwarves Mine Train...that'll have the park hitting capacity more often. :brick: Not sure TDO is grasping what families want these days.
It'll do fine for what they are aiming for. Trust me, it'll draw more guests than those overdone M&Gs they had planned before.

I'm telling you..unless this "coaster" is at least as intense as Space Mountain then it won't be a major hit. WDW needs a major attraction with an OMG, im going to ______ my pants kind of feeling.
Just wait a bit...
There are cards they haven't yet played....;)

S

stphnbogert

yeah. lol. i LOVE the FLE. every part of it. i think its all amazing. but i was just saying i'm sure Disney has at least one amazing ride up their sleeve. they probably have a lot of stuff being imagineered right now thats in the beginning phases and i'm sure it'll be a while before its released. i'm honestly satisfied with what they're doing now. FLE will keep me coming back there because i'm sure that'll be my favorite part of the magic kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom