The Potter Affect......

elatino

Just wanted to know if the WWOHP has influenced your Disney Vacation this year.......I was planning on 4 days at AKL for the holidays and now I have had a change of heart and decided to do 3 days at AKL and 2 days at Universal .....I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. Not too crazy about the 15 dollar/day self parking fee Universal (Royal Pacific) is hitting me with.....Strike One!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Went in August. Instead of our usual 8 night stay, we stayed 13 and drove down so I had the car to go to Uni on the days we went there. Stayed on-property at WDW and spent more days there than Uni, it was fun.

Disney's gain, we stayed longer.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, but then again Uni started taking away from my WDW trips in 2009. Unless I am heading down for just a long weekend, which is rare. I will be spending 2 days at Uni and 5 or 6 at WDW, where as it used to just be 7 or 8 at WDW.

Disney has been stagnant, and seems to purposely be ignoring my demographic (Mid 20's couple). So now we spend time at Uni and Citywalk.

The addition of Harry Potter it is just all the more incentive to spend my vacation dollars at Uni. And we are DVC members.

Upvote 0

Disney05

No not really. Although I'd like to see the new Harry Potter area and I haven't been to Universal in many years, we don't plan on going out of our way to go when we're down at WDW on our next trip.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

We just got back and DH, DS 6, DD5 and me were all schemeing to try to get to WWOHP. We drove too, so getting there was not a problem it was the lack of things to do in general for our 2 year old and 6 month old. Seemed like a lot $$ to go to US/IoA for WWOHP instead adding an additional day at WDW (like 6 buck per person= 24.00 and free parking)
However we are going back to FL (Naples) in April and were thinking of stopping at WWOHP on the way down as we will have babysitting for our youngest two kids. No WDW on that trip, save a trip to DTD.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

We just did 7 nights at AKL and for the first time ever, left one day to go see Harry. He absolutely changed our vacation. I've got a trip report going if you want a preview.:)

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

I have no interest in going to Universal. It just doesnt interest me, I dont know. Not to say I'll never go back, but with going to Disney, I have all I want.

Maybe when my girls get a little bigger, I'll take them so they can see something else different, but right now, there are no plans to visit Mr. Potter.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I am not by any means a Potter fan, i have not even had a chance to see all the movies and have not read a single Potter book. I do want to see how the themed area looks but not plans in the future to see it.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

We're setting aside one morning/afternoon of our June trip to check out IOA...and we're only doing it because WWoHP is there. So it's influencing our trip a bit, yes :)

Upvote 0
MR. Potter got me and my family. We were there yesterday and going back Fri. It is one of those thing I will not see every time we come down to Disney. Potter was cool, but the rest of IOA is still the same and just not worth the trip down I4.

Upvote 0

Mammymouse

I'd like to see Harry and the rest of Universal at some point, although I have never seen a movie other than bits here and there. We have only been to Universal once back 11 years ago and I know there have been many changes. But our recreation dollars right now are pretty tight so if we do anything it will be Disney. We are DVC so what money we spend would be on annual passes at Disney because that is our favorite vacation or day trip place. Maybe next year will be a better year financially and we might consider Universal, put my crystal ball has not forecast a that yet. As they say - the checkbook rules.

Upvote 0

Ilovewishes

We've just come back :)cry:) and made a point of seeing WWOHP although it didn't change our plans in anyway. We always do 2 days at Universal and just drive over from Disney.

Personally, I thought the ride was fab but was more than a little disappointed with the rest of it. The shops are too few and too small for the crowds in them and the merchandise is overpriced for what you get, IMO.

We did the ride four times over two days, first thing in the morning and last thing at night. One thing I am grateful for though - the other rides at IOA were pretty much walk on all day!

Upvote 0

erstwo

I won't affect my trips to WDW, but neither my husband nor I are Harry Potter readers/ fans.

Now my mom and sister? Huge fans! They would love to go on our upcoming trip, but are scared of the long lines, so have decided to wait until next time.

Also, if my children ever read the books (which I think they might) we will be happy to take them to see the WWOHP on a trip to Orlando.

I read an interesting article in Forbes that said that Harry Potter will actually ECLIPSE Star Wars! :eek: at some point this next Spring/ Summer as the highest grossing movie franchise - inclusive of all merchandise, movie ticket, etc.! (but it looks like Star Wars will take the title back soon after when they release one or more of their movies in 3D.)

At first, I totally agreed with most on here that WWOHP would be irrelevant in a few years. Now I think Harry is here to stay! :)

Upvote 0

fosse76

I read an interesting article in Forbes that said that Harry Potter will actually ECLIPSE Star Wars! :eek: at some point this next Spring/ Summer as the highest grossing movie franchise - inclusive of all merchandise, movie ticket, etc.! (but it looks like Star Wars will take the title back soon after when they release one or more of their movies in 3D.)

It already did this in May.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

We did 3 nights at Universal in August, and 13 at Disney. We're doing 16 nights at Disney next July, and skipping Universal for the year. Don't get me wrong - We love Universal, but it's not a "need to do" every year, especially with the kids still very young.

The new HP ride was cool, but will not change the way I vacation in the least bit. Many things at Disney I enjoy a lot more.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Unfair analogy as half of the Star Wars films came out close to 30 years before the Potter movies came out. Adjusted for inflation, all 6 of the Star Wars films rank in the top 100 of all time:

#2, #12, #15, #20, #58 and #85

Only the 1st Harry Potter ranks in the top 100, at #67.

Same thing goes for merchandise. Star Wars merchandise was at it's peak in the late 70's, early 80's.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom