_Scar's Vacation @ the Disney World and Wizarding World

Before I head straight into my trip report I'd like to tell you I had a GREAT time! In fact, this was my favorite vacation I've ever had which I spent with my wonderful family. Although not a cruise or exotic destination to a common Floridian, WDW (& Universal) offer something so magical and special that you forget you're even in the muggle realm. So sit back, relax and enjoy my trip report (;

Saturday- July 31, 2010:

I had stayed up all night prior to this day, an ongoing tradition due to my awful sleep cycle and pure excitement, so this day felt entirely extra long. We left at around 9:30 am and arrivied 1:30-2:30 pm (don't remember specifically).

Alas we arrive in the world and our first stop before check in is to eat a scrumptious burger at Beaches n Cream.

We couldn't believe it when we got there and the head hostess told us we had a 60 minute wait!! We decided to wait it out even though we saw a few families leaving after hearing that wait time. But then, after a good 5 minutes, we get buzzed in and our family is seated. What's up with that! Is this some strategy to help keep from overflowing with guests?

I loved the look of the place and especially its proximity to the pool! Man oh man was Stromalong Bay looking great, but they're really checking you at the gate to make sure you aren't a pool hopper ):

Going into it we thought we'd have the best burger ever, but we weren't impressed at all. In fact, we compared to being like a Five Guys burger joint (filling and more filling). I guess the food was decent enough, but I wouldn't go back without just getting ice cream.

As a side note, I don't get how people can eat a full meal and one of their ice cream desserts! They look so filling! :eek:

Anywho, after our snack and taking a brisk walk through the lobby area (BCV is so tremendously gorgeous), we are now heading to our destination: Saratoga Springs.

Check in was a breeze and we even got what we requested (a Congress Park room)! I was soo excited and had no idea what to expect and for good reason- this was only my second stay in a real Disney resort besides a cabin at FW!

Our room was absolutely wonderful and the view was amazing. I wasn't even expecting a DtD view, but oh did we get it :)

View:
12fixed.jpg

I'd really have to say the biggest benefit of staying at SSR is the proximity to DtD area. It was a 5 minute walk from Congress Park and our room. Plus relazing on the balcony after a long day at the parks hearing the night sounds of DtD was really pure bliss.

Later that day we headed on over to Disney Quest and we stayed here for a good 2-3 hours. We thought it was just 'okay'. We strongly disliked the Aladdin virtual ride which we all had remembered as being pretty cool, and we also loved playing the racing and score games that we used to always avoid doing here (pretty ironic, eh?). I'd say try this place once before judging it, but make sure to go when it isn't busy to make sure you can have the pleasure of trying everything (something we didn't get to do)

We ate at House of Blues, which we also thought was just 'okay'. We originally hadn't planned on eating here, but we found a $25 off coupon on Restaurants dot com so we just went for it. I ordered the peperoni pizza which we all agreed was very tasty, while my parents did not particularly like their meal (can't remember what they ordered though, sorry). Overall, we probably weren't going to be headed back to House of Blues anymore- but it was worth a shot.

Some DtD shots from across the pond at the Congress Park quiet pool area:

2010vacation2245.jpg

2010vacation2249.jpg

2010vacation2248.jpg

DHS day will be posted tomorrow! :wave:

_Scar

Original Poster
We could see that sign from our room glistening :)

We were wondering what that white building was with the triangle shaped out of square windows is. Is it an extinct PH club?

And (final question), where do you find this tasty sounding crunch chicken?! *licks chops*

sweetpee_1993

Sounds good so far. Can't wait for more.

We tried HoB @ DTD in 2006. It was pretty bad & way overpriced. We've not been back to that location. However, we've never had a bad meal at HoB in New Orleans. :)

Same impression on Disney Quest. We did it once. Doubt we'll go back...

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Crunch Chicken is at Planet Hollywood. It is the only thing worth going there for and it is AMAZING. Its chicken strips breaded with Captn Crunch Cereal.

meganw1985

Wonderful pictures! Glad you had a great time :) Can't WAIT to hear what you think about Wizarding World. Heading there in a couple weeks, and I'm just a tad skeptical, although it looks wonderful!

TheJonesys

Agree with you about the Aladdin ride, I felt really ill when we came off that, saying that I did love the jungle raft ride and I would go back just to ride that again

_Scar

Original Poster
Sounds good so far. Can't wait for more.

We tried HoB @ DTD in 2006. It was pretty bad & way overpriced. We've not been back to that location. However, we've never had a bad meal at HoB in New Orleans. :)

Same impression on Disney Quest. We did it once. Doubt we'll go back...

Thanks! :D

I'd love to try HoB in its intended location :slurp:

And yea.... with the water park option I'd just rather go back to the water parks or the pool or even try "Magnetron" :lol:

Crunch Chicken is at Planet Hollywood. It is the only thing worth going there for and it is AMAZING. Its chicken strips breaded with Captn Crunch Cereal.

That sounds SOOO great! Looks like I'm gonna have to check it out on my next mini-trip! :slurp:

Wonderful pictures! Glad you had a great time :) Can't WAIT to hear what you think about Wizarding World. Heading there in a couple weeks, and I'm just a tad skeptical, although it looks wonderful!

Thanks so much!

Oh, I can't wait until I get to the WWoHP day! I just have so much to say about it! ;)

Agree with you about the Aladdin ride, I felt really ill when we came off that, saying that I did love the jungle raft ride and I would go back just to ride that again

Me too! Plus the virtual mask smelled so disgusting. :hurl:

The line for the jungle raft ride and PotC virtual ride was soo long that we just ditched it to go eat at House of Blues. :(

_Scar

Original Poster
Continuing from our first day there....

After House of Blues we wal- no, RAN bak to the room after a sudden lightning storm came out of nowhere. We finally get to the boat back to SSR (where our car is parked by the lobby nowhere near our room) and we find out that they are shut down due to lightning. We literally just missed it.

Frustrated and confused, we now head over to Marketplace to catch a bus (we really weren't as familiar with the DtD area yet as we were going to be soon enough because unknown to us at the time was a 5 minute walking path directly to our building at SSR grrr).... so we get on a bus back to SSR that's VERY crowded (it's now around 8-9pm). We end up going to 2 more stops...... and what do you know? Typhoon Lagoon is closing and there is a brutal traffic jam. Needless to say, an hour and a half after eating at HoB we finally wind up back "home".

WHEW! What a day! But it felt very nice to lay back and relax to the nightlife of DtD and think about what is to come, and oh was there so much more to come!

Sunday- August 1, 2010:

Disney's Hollywood Studios day!!!!! My parents aren't too fond of this park, but I love it. They hate TSMM, I love TSMM. They hate shows, I love the shows. See where I'm going with this? Anywho, all they're focused on is doing RnRC over and over and all I'm concerned about is doing TSMM over and over

So, we get to the park at around 9:30 am and it's pretty crowded. TSMM fastpass was a MAD HOUSE, and with the amount of people at once using it I couldn't imagine it would be open past 11 am but it was oddly enough we got a closing time FP at 2pm

Here're some TSMM area!

2010vaction006.jpg

2010vaction011.jpg

Anywho, back to around 9:45 am.... we immediately headed back to Sunset Blvd. to go on RnRC!! So, along the way I took some pics for your enjoyment.

There's something about the Tower that makes me want to take millions of pictures of it.

2010vaction016.jpg

Never seen this before! What's in here?

2010vaction020.jpg

ANNNNNND- we've arrived!

2010vaction023.jpg

The queue was around 25 minutes and we ended up riding twice. It's just so exhilarating! I finally see why my parents love this ride so much and I also make my first attempt at single riders (which wasn't too bad!) Usually I avoid riding with strangers because there's the occasional freak, but I think my mind just played tricks on me before assuming the worst lol. Good thing I got used to it too because I would need this new found feat to conquer a certain wizard's journey- but that's a few posts away.

Having only been on 2 things, we decide to go hit up the Echo Lake area; specifically Star Tours and Muppetvision 3D!

First up was Star Tours and it was our personal "Last Tour To Endor". I was quite sad about it, but my WDW fan instincts told me to document every minute of it on video! So I did.... but after practically wasting all my battery I realize I'm not even recording on a tape! So, I just went back to taking pictures instead lol

Here we see C-3Pblur

2010vaction046.jpg

And to his right R2-Blurry
2010vaction050.jpg

Is it weird that was the first time I've waited in the main queue and actually had a good 10 minute wait?

I personally loved the ride, but my parents really disliked it! It's continued after a few years gradually getting worse and worse apparently

Hopefully they can redo this ride and make my parents fall in love with the random movie, special effects, and thrill but my one simple request is for WDI to hold onto the special charm that ride has!

Next up was Muppetvision! Not much to say here but we all enjoyed it a lot! Theater not too full, but that meant center seats! Big laughs from Rizzo being Mickey Mouse in queue btw (sorry, that moment stood out lol)

Now we headed through Streets of America, which I don't think I've ever really been on for more than 1 minute. It was almost as good as WS with the great photo ops.

2010vaction072.jpg

2010vaction071.jpg

This store's name was a running joke throughout our trip! Great job whoever named it lol

2010vaction070.jpg

Can't wait to come back here for Christmas!!

_Scar

Original Poster
OH- and then we saw this past by and I burst out laughing.

2010vaction074.jpg

Seriously? I thought the mouse sold these guys a while ago! It was totally random after coming from an area so well themed.I can't wait until I can lay my eye on this beauty come 2014- hopefully. (;

2010vaction077.jpg

We ended our day stay at DHS with the GMR, which we all thought was great (me more than them) and we all agreed it needs a face lift.

Hollywood! There's no place quite like it!

2010vaction092.jpg

Blurry Poppins and her supercalifragilisticexpialidocious pal Blurt.

2010vaction093.jpg

Here comes John Wayne. I'm not gonna cry about my pa. I'm gonna build me an airport, put my name on it.

2010vaction097.jpg

I watched The Wizard of Oz the night before this trip! Made this scene of the ride so much cooler.

2010vaction107.jpg

Next post coming up shortly

_Scar

Original Poster
Sorry about my blurry pictures!!

Here's some more pics

LOVE IT

2010vaction082.jpg

LOVE IT MORE

2010vaction083.jpg

Peeking out in RnRC queue

2010vaction029.jpg

Is this place going?

2010vaction019.jpg

Coodle-doodle-doo! Cha-Chee-Cha! KAW KAH KAW

2010vaction057.jpg

First time going to OMD and we thorougly enjoyed it! Is this leaving too?

2010vaction084.jpg

Blurgle Cruise

2010vaction085.jpg

_Scar

Original Poster
On our way out of DHS, we find ourselves in the middle of a jam packed HSM 3 show! OH NO!!!

2010vaction115.jpg

Oh, wait... it's half empty. NVM, no big fuss.

DHS, farewell for now! GF, here we come!

What a picture!

2010vaction124.jpg

It's just so stunning!

2010vaction123.jpg

Later we found ourselves eating at the GF Cafe, and FINALLY we all agree this place is delicious! Our first Disney restaurant FYI! I spilt a steak with my mom and my dad had the burger. Both fine choices! We recommend eating here and will be eating here again soon!

One last look ):

2010vaction125.jpg

One day hopefully I'll be running this joint! (;

PS- anyone know if rooms are being refurbished? We saw a big lift next to the pool sorta near the rooms.

After a nice few hours of relaxing back at the resort we pick up Earl's for dinner. *a short stroll* turns into a *life endangering journey through a wooded area going through a massive thunderstorm*.

UGH. This Florida weather is so consistent!

We loved Earl's a lot- especially the "Best BLT". I totally recommend this to any BLT lover. It spanks the competition- even Publix.

So, back to the rain, it was pouring until 8 pm! We figured we couldn't make F! and we were totally right. The line was crazy. Not exaggerating, over 10,000 people were just sitting in the drenched street. 1000+ cold, wet ponchos strong. We were not going into that mess. Sorry but maybe when we get a new dragon or some new effects will I be that desperate.

Although a detour in our plans, this did not stop our night of fun! We did a ride on both RnRC and TSMM and left afterwards.

Now I feel I can say this here after this wonderful day at DHS, both RnRC and TSMM are in my top 10 favorites list of WDW and UNI attractions *ducks*

We get back to SSR shortly after and wind down for a wild day at DAK tmrw. Hopes are high for an amazing trip and I can tell you they stay high the entire time. :)

*I feel I must say that my way of winding down in bed with watching S1 of Arrested Development is heavenly and I recommend it to anyone*

DAK post tmrw! Hope you're liking my TR!

_Scar

Original Poster
One Man's Dream isn't going- just being refurbished soon!

I can't imagine not loving Toy Story Midway Mania. That is just wrong:ROFLOL:!

That's great! I noticed the bird AA wasn't working.

& I know about TSMM!!

I just don't think they're too fond of scoring games, but I could tell after our DHS day that they finally opened up a bit and liked it quite a bit more than they already did, so that's nice. Better than nothing. :lol::animwink:

sweetpee_1993

Enjoying the read...blurry pics and all. And someday when you're running the GF you'll be extending all your fellow WDWMagic peeps who "knew you back when" a nice 75% off, right?? :D

Ready for more.... :cool:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
2010vaction006.jpg

2010vaction011.jpg

Anywho, back to around 9:45 am.... we immediately headed back to Sunset Blvd. to go on RnRC!! So, along the way I took some pics for your enjoyment.

There's something about the Tower that makes me want to take millions of pictures of it.

2010vaction016.jpg

Never seen this before! What's in here?

2010vaction020.jpg

2010vaction072.jpg

2010vaction071.jpg

This store's name was a running joke throughout our trip! Great job whoever named it lol

2010vaction070.jpg

Can't wait to come back here for Christmas!!

DHS has quickly become my (and my 6 year-old DS) favorite park. He can simply not get enough of the shows either. We've passed up on parades, the BaTB show, and even a FP for RnRC to let him see 2 or 3 shows a day!

Great trip report! Thanks for all of the wonderful DHS shots. I can't get enough of the theming there. Born 50 years too late, I suppose, for my own good....:)

_Scar

Original Poster
DHS has quickly become my (and my 6 year-old DS) favorite park. He can simply not get enough of the shows either. We've passed up on parades, the BaTB show, and even a FP for RnRC to let him see 2 or 3 shows a day!

Great trip report! Thanks for all of the wonderful DHS shots. I can't get enough of the theming there. Born 50 years too late, I suppose, for my own good....:)

Thanks!!

DHS was actually one of my favorite days of the whole vacation and it jumped to being my second favorite park! :lol:

I have more to say about DHS when I'm all said and done. Quite a bit to say actually because I forgot to add in a lot! Also check back later and i'll post more DHS pics I have! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom