_Scar's Vacation @ the Disney World and Wizarding World

Before I head straight into my trip report I'd like to tell you I had a GREAT time! In fact, this was my favorite vacation I've ever had which I spent with my wonderful family. Although not a cruise or exotic destination to a common Floridian, WDW (& Universal) offer something so magical and special that you forget you're even in the muggle realm. So sit back, relax and enjoy my trip report (;

Saturday- July 31, 2010:

I had stayed up all night prior to this day, an ongoing tradition due to my awful sleep cycle and pure excitement, so this day felt entirely extra long. We left at around 9:30 am and arrivied 1:30-2:30 pm (don't remember specifically).

Alas we arrive in the world and our first stop before check in is to eat a scrumptious burger at Beaches n Cream.

We couldn't believe it when we got there and the head hostess told us we had a 60 minute wait!! We decided to wait it out even though we saw a few families leaving after hearing that wait time. But then, after a good 5 minutes, we get buzzed in and our family is seated. What's up with that! Is this some strategy to help keep from overflowing with guests?

I loved the look of the place and especially its proximity to the pool! Man oh man was Stromalong Bay looking great, but they're really checking you at the gate to make sure you aren't a pool hopper ):

Going into it we thought we'd have the best burger ever, but we weren't impressed at all. In fact, we compared to being like a Five Guys burger joint (filling and more filling). I guess the food was decent enough, but I wouldn't go back without just getting ice cream.

As a side note, I don't get how people can eat a full meal and one of their ice cream desserts! They look so filling! :eek:

Anywho, after our snack and taking a brisk walk through the lobby area (BCV is so tremendously gorgeous), we are now heading to our destination: Saratoga Springs.

Check in was a breeze and we even got what we requested (a Congress Park room)! I was soo excited and had no idea what to expect and for good reason- this was only my second stay in a real Disney resort besides a cabin at FW!

Our room was absolutely wonderful and the view was amazing. I wasn't even expecting a DtD view, but oh did we get it :)

View:
12fixed.jpg

I'd really have to say the biggest benefit of staying at SSR is the proximity to DtD area. It was a 5 minute walk from Congress Park and our room. Plus relazing on the balcony after a long day at the parks hearing the night sounds of DtD was really pure bliss.

Later that day we headed on over to Disney Quest and we stayed here for a good 2-3 hours. We thought it was just 'okay'. We strongly disliked the Aladdin virtual ride which we all had remembered as being pretty cool, and we also loved playing the racing and score games that we used to always avoid doing here (pretty ironic, eh?). I'd say try this place once before judging it, but make sure to go when it isn't busy to make sure you can have the pleasure of trying everything (something we didn't get to do)

We ate at House of Blues, which we also thought was just 'okay'. We originally hadn't planned on eating here, but we found a $25 off coupon on Restaurants dot com so we just went for it. I ordered the peperoni pizza which we all agreed was very tasty, while my parents did not particularly like their meal (can't remember what they ordered though, sorry). Overall, we probably weren't going to be headed back to House of Blues anymore- but it was worth a shot.

Some DtD shots from across the pond at the Congress Park quiet pool area:

2010vacation2245.jpg

2010vacation2249.jpg

2010vacation2248.jpg

DHS day will be posted tomorrow! :wave:

_Scar

Original Poster
Hi,
New to the board. Read your tr tonight and it sounds like a great trip. Loving all the pics.

Thanks for sharing.

What brought me in was SSR, we are buying into it so I was curious.

SSR is AMAZING! So upscale, relaxing, and great location. If I could, that'd be my home resort too :animwink:

Scar, I am thoroughly enjoying your trip report, and look forward to reading more.

Great work!

Thanks! Much more to come! :wave:

still enjoying your report. your pics are terrific. and i so remember the first time way back when we saw the electric light parade. since that was the first parade i saw i think of it as a classic.

the beach club was also our first resort we ever stayed onsite for and i have never gone off site since. loved that resort and loved their pool. back in the days the price was something like $235 for a night.

we never made it for the clam bake dinner, but we had many breakfasts there.

thank for all the memories.

lol, I wish BC was still that low! But we're pretty hooked, so some day we'll stay here or Yacht Club!

No problem! I'm glad you're reliving memories from this thread, as am I writing it :sohappy:

_Scar

Original Poster
September 8th I can post more pictures and the pics at trhe beginnign will hopefully appear again :(

Epcot, can't wait!!

_Scar

Original Poster
August 5, 2010- Epcot day!

I was so excited for today! We planned on eating at Le Cellier, spending time with family, and coming back at night for IllumiNations!

So, we got to the park fairly early- around 9:10.

2010vacation2040.jpg

I<3Tronorail
2010vacation2043.jpg

We headed straight for Soarin, snagged out FP, and decided to take our first trip to the main queue for Soarin.... oh my.

It was a good hour, if not more. How can Soarin have an hour + wait 10 minutes after opening? Who knows! I'm pretty sure they didn't start loading people on until like 9:30. Maybe that's why. We did happen to get to play the games though. It was very fun! Our screen-area was by far the best screen, so naturally we owned the competition. ;D

After the games were over, it moved by so slow. So slow.

I swear, we were in this room for 30 minutes alone.
2010vacation2048.jpg

But there was good news: we finally got top row! It was much better and we didn't even need to ask!

I think it's needless to say we love this ride! The smells, the chills, the views feel so real! Even after multiple rides, the effect never dies. And that music- classic.

However, I will hint at saying Soarin' is no competition and the ugly step sister to a certain other ride... more on that a bit later. (;

Next we ventured over to Living with the Land boat ride. We love this ride! I really underestimated the scenes of the rainforest, desert, and farm- they were all really neat. I might even go as far as to say I like this ride more than Soarin'. Great message, too.

I smelled Sunshine Seasons, but we had lunch reservations for Le Cellier. It smelled SO GOOD. Maybe next year ):

The Land pavillion is by far my favorite place in Epcot. It just has tons to see and do. With 2 great attractions, 2 great restaurants, and a very informative message- this place packs a powerful edutaining punch!

After we headed out of here it was around 10:30-11:00. We headed over to the Seas w/ Nemo to board the clammobile into the big, blue world. I really love this ride. It's just cute, fun, and simple.

All the effects, I've noticed, have been working too. Great job WDW maintenance! Anywho, it was a bit annoying when they had to stop the ride in the middle of the EAC. It kind of ruined the otherwise convincing effect. But still- this is one of our Epcot favorites.

I wish we would have stayed longer at this pavillion, but we had a reservation to get to. Good thing next year we will have a reservation at Coral Reef with our name on it :slurp: Can't wait!

2010vacation2056.jpg

So, we head over to Le Cellier. I'll just say it right now: we didn't like it at all.

1. Inside, it's nothing special. We were supposedly in the hockey room or something? It wasn't apparent. In fact, the lights were so dim I couldn't really see anything on the walls.
  2. Our waiter was tying everything to Canada. I get it, you're from Canada. It's probably just me being overly critical, but it was annoying. He was acting like we had no idea what basic Canadian things were- like it was so exotic. It's probably just me :lol:
  3. The pretzel bread was the best thing there. That's saying a lot.
  4. The steak was dry and cooked into infinity. No flavor, no look of amazement on my face. Even Grand Floridian Cafe offered a better steak for lunch we thought.
  5. I would have ordered dessert if I didn't feel obligated to get out of there as soon as possible. I was the one who pushed for Le Cellier and I could tell nobody was pleased :lookaroun:cry:

_Scar

Original Poster
Even with the bad service, we tried to make up for it by enjoying our favorite WS snack: japanese shaved ice! Mmmmm....

2010vacation2087-1.jpg

2010vacation2088.jpg

2010vacation2093.jpg

I recommend everyone to order one and sit near the arch and just take a few minute to relax and take everything in. It was at this moment where I realized how great the WS is. It may not have bombastic rides, but it has something rarely seen in theme parks: a unique, realistic theme park atmosphere that isn't trying to be the next big thing in technology.

We also headed over to almost each pavillion to check out some shops and detail.
2010vacation2132.jpg

1. I scoped out a mighty fine Remy plush from Souvenirs de France I've never seen before. We also tried on berets and took pictures posing. We just couldn't help ourselves! Souvenirs de France is really an awesome store!
  2. We checked out Via Napoli and it just so happened to be its big "grand opening" day. The area was nice, but we didn't stick around long. Come to find out, there was a big celebration that day with Mickey and friends in Italian gear with confetti and stuff. Where was this?! We saw no party stuff )':
    2010vacation2108.jpg

3. Italian store is basically a smell chamber you will never get out of. We noticed the CMs here kicking around the soccer ball and playing with kids. It was very nice! We also tried on soccer ball hats. We, once again, couldn't help ourselves, hah!
  4. Victoria Gardens in Canada was amazing. I snapped the perfect picture of two ducks strolling along just minding their own business like theme park guests. It was hilariously cute!
    2010vacation2062.jpg

2010vacation2061.jpg

2010vacation2059.jpg

2010vacation2058.jpg

2010vacation2063.jpg

_Scar

Original Poster
2010vacation2065.jpg

[*]Mexican construction looked a little sloppy with a random ladder hanging out over the boarded area. Also, Mexican Donald was meet and greeting with a very long line.

[*]Norway! I love this place! Maelstrom is quite a little ride with that big polar bear AA and the drop that, imo, is pretty thrilling. I give it a solid A-. (it's one of my favorite Epcot rides) Also, keep your eyes out for the gift shop! There's lots of neat things in this store including a troll photo op.
[/LIST]
2010vacation2131.jpg

2010vacation2125.jpg

2010vacation2124.jpg

Other WS photos:

2010vacation2119.jpg

2010vacation2133.jpg

2010vacation2091.jpg

2010vacation2091.jpg

Didn't go on this. Regret it:/
2010vacation2102.jpg

Turned out really nicely
2010vacation2104.jpg

_Scar

Original Poster
We had so much fun in UK!
2010vacation2081.jpg

2010vacation2069.jpg

2010vacation2080.jpg

2010vacation2067.jpg

Outside of WS:

2010vacation2134.jpg

2010vacation2155.jpg

2010vacation2137.jpg

2010vacation2153.jpg

This concludes our daytime portion of Epc- wait... what's this!? Holy moly!

I forgot about Sum of All Thrills!

Me and my mom did this one and we LOVED it! We were wary about the upside portion so we did a mild roller coaster (next time it will be an intense roller coaster). Talk about a simulator! Going upside down was so neat! I completely recommend this to anyone! Even kids! I look forward to riding this again!!

Side note- you can ride this ride with a group of 3. It caused my dad not to be able to ride until we found out- so now you know!

Now, our daytime at Epcot is over.

_Scar

Original Poster
After the SoaT we stopped by TT, got FP for later that night, and headed home to SSR.

I think all we did at SSR was relax, relax, relax. I wanted to do the Characters in Flight but STILL... not running. Note to EVERYONE planning on going during summer. It's always rainy or looking rainy from 2 - 4 pm. Curses!

Anywho, we met up with family out of the world on Internation Drive's Outback Steakhouse. Finally a solid restaurant that we all love! ;D

It was nice and all, but it was time to head back for Illuminations! We left reality and headed back to Epcot parking and headed over to the WS to scope out a decent spot (note- it's around 7:45 pm). We find a nice spot on the bridge connecting France and UK. Great spot!

2010vacation2162.jpg

2010vacation2164.jpg

We did notice a convention or gathering of some kind going on where they got the reserved area on the lagoon near Italy. A lady from that convention comes by and gives the family next to us (I'm not going to lie, the family was acting strange) and this lady basically says "I'm so glad you stopped by! Aren't you apart of the convention *winks* You know, you can get those nice seats over there right." It was so rude and obvious. Everyone around us was baflled they'd do that.

While waiting, I went to Souvenirs de France on my own to pick up that wonderful Remy doll I was eyeing earlier. He is now sitting with plush Dug, Donald, Stitch, Dewey, and Lotso above me as I type.

Anywho, around 15 mins to showtime we see the Illumination boat cruise boats below us. We thought it was very cool! ;D just wanted to share that! It looked so comfortable.

Reflections of Earth is by far my favorite fireworks show. It brings out pure emotion along with a powerful musical score that is sure to knock the socks off anyone. Just that kick off when the last bit of music plays to the finale (before We Go On) is so uplifitng!

It was also nice to get a view that was not from Future World. I didn't notice any worse view than before. In fact, I pretty much loved everything about the WS view of RoE.

After the show, the bathrooms were packed near Canada. Hold it in guys! It looked like a 20 minute line! rofl

After poking and bugging, I finally guided my sheep to EO. We really loved this show! Like, we really liked it surprisingly so! It was also cool to have a few dozen major MJ fans screaming "I love EO!" during the show. It made it so much more fun! I can now say: I love EO!

ByeBye Kodak!
2010vacation2167.jpg

3D, you ask? No. It's my blurry camera.
2010vacation2168.jpg

2010vacation2166.jpg

Next in line: Soarin' FP time. Nothing special. 15 minute wait. Badda-boom-badda-bang. It felt powerful, sad, and selfish to be cutting everyone in the now 120+ monute line- but that's the name of the game.

Thought this was pretty cool for a blurry pic
2010vacation2169.jpg

2010vacation2175.jpg

Then we headed over to our final ride, Test Track! This is my favorite ride in Epcot. I can't explain why, it just attracts me. It's also what I consider to be one of the most solid E-tickets in WDW. Somehow we rode twice through FP. Sometime during the day we got a second TT fastpass. Don't ask, I have no clue lmao

2010vacation2180.jpg

2010vacation2185.jpg

Cool blur or just me?

2010vacation2190.jpg

Front row both times- and this was our first TT experience at night. It was to die for and a perfect way to end our day at Epcot! I am SO thrilled to spend another day here next year. I will be pushing to devote a wjhole day to Epcot, too.

Overall, this day made me realize that before what was by far my least favorite park is now a superb, monumental aspect of WDW that there is no avoiding. It's amazing. It's unique. It's Epcot!

I will miss you, Epcot.

_Scar

Original Poster
Friday - August 6, 2010

Magic Kingdom day!

Pretty sure we slept in until around 9:30 today since we did it the night before yesterday. We planned on parking and using TTC this time to get to our destination this time though. We just had to ride the monorail once.

Staying at Contemporary Resort next year :)
2010vacation2200.jpg

It's always an epic journey to just get to the front gates of MK. Our feet were really put to the test, which we eventually failed. More on that later.

But first, I've taken some pics on arrival:

We've made it!
2010vacation2201.jpg

See if you can spot the 3 hidden EMVs. Absolutely insane! Otherwise, very nice pic I must say lol
2010vacation2204.jpg

What is 'The Chateau'? I've never heard of it or seen it before.
2010vacation2205.jpg

When we arrived, I think the street party or whatever was going on? It was .... festive. Wouldn't be the best parade/street party in my book, but I could see why kids would like this parade. I liked the characters featured in this parade. Sadly, I only got to see it from TLand- I would have loved to have gotten pics! :/

We headed right on over to TLand and avoided SGE and MILF. Even my parents commented on how horrible they were lol

We got a FP for Space and then headed over to take our first spin on Carousel of Progress!

We all loved it! Definitely a must-do now! We were humming 'It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow' all day! I completely, and whole-heartedly, recommend this for anyone who calls themself a Disney fan.

Also, this day was when I spotted the glimpse of a very cool name change:

2010vacation2206-1.jpg

2010vacation2207-1.jpg

Very cool!

I think we took a spin on the TTA. It's pretty much a must-do anytime we need to kill time. In this case, we needed to kill time for our reservation for Plaza Restaurant- which is now what time it was.

2010vacation2209.jpg

We thought it was pretty great! Not deluxe dining, not expensive at all, but the food was still very good. We would eat here in the future, but maybe not before GF Cafe or Cape May. It was basically a notch above counter service with a quaint restaurant theme. This place is also seriously tiny.

_Scar

Original Poster
What time is it? Space Mountain FP time!!

2010vacation2212.jpg

2010vacation2217.jpg

2010vacation2218.jpg

Love the detail!
2010vacation2221.jpg

This is now my favorite MK mountain (sorry Splash, I still love you). Something about it just got to me this trip- I can't describe it. I love how the refurb made it almost like you were actually in space. Maybe I'm gullible, but the effects really made me feel this way. Also, the projections were pretty cool too- something I do not remember from before.

It will be interesting to ride it with the new audio!

Onward to Fantasyland!

We're late, we're late!

2010vacation2226.jpg

I think this ride actually did worse. With the combination of Space Mountain and Mad Tea Party, the results were pretty catastrophic on the stomach.

& they still haven't fixed that squeek at the end. Ugh. Still, a family classic.

2010vacation2229.jpg

FLand construction:

2010vacation2228.jpg

2010vacation2230.jpg

IMO, the most beautiful area of FLand:

2010vacation2232.jpg

2010vacation2235.jpg

jhoff3405

Just caught up on your trip report.
Must admit, Le Cellier was not all that thrilling to myself as well.....definitely not worth waking up at 5am (my time zone) 180 days out to ensure an ADR!
Looking forward to more!

_Scar

Original Poster
Just caught up on your trip report.
Must admit, Le Cellier was not all that thrilling to myself as well.....definitely not worth waking up at 5am (my time zone) 180 days out to ensure an ADR!
Looking forward to more!

Glad I'm not alone! :lol:

I've noticed people either love it or hate it here.

Quick ADR question, did you have to call or can you do it online at 5am?

jhoff3405

Glad I'm not alone! :lol:

I've noticed people either love it or hate it here.

Quick ADR question, did you have to call or can you do it online at 5am?

Online...it was a very easy process. The reservation window opened up right on time, I put in my date and it gave me options. It let me book ALL the ADR's for my vacation, even though I was logging in 180 days before only Day 1 of my vacay.

_Scar

Original Poster
Online...it was a very easy process. The reservation window opened up right on time, I put in my date and it gave me options. It let me book ALL the ADR's for my vacation, even though I was logging in 180 days before only Day 1 of my vacay.

That's awesome and sounds simple! Thanks :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom