_Scar's Vacation @ the Disney World and Wizarding World

Before I head straight into my trip report I'd like to tell you I had a GREAT time! In fact, this was my favorite vacation I've ever had which I spent with my wonderful family. Although not a cruise or exotic destination to a common Floridian, WDW (& Universal) offer something so magical and special that you forget you're even in the muggle realm. So sit back, relax and enjoy my trip report (;

Saturday- July 31, 2010:

I had stayed up all night prior to this day, an ongoing tradition due to my awful sleep cycle and pure excitement, so this day felt entirely extra long. We left at around 9:30 am and arrivied 1:30-2:30 pm (don't remember specifically).

Alas we arrive in the world and our first stop before check in is to eat a scrumptious burger at Beaches n Cream.

We couldn't believe it when we got there and the head hostess told us we had a 60 minute wait!! We decided to wait it out even though we saw a few families leaving after hearing that wait time. But then, after a good 5 minutes, we get buzzed in and our family is seated. What's up with that! Is this some strategy to help keep from overflowing with guests?

I loved the look of the place and especially its proximity to the pool! Man oh man was Stromalong Bay looking great, but they're really checking you at the gate to make sure you aren't a pool hopper ):

Going into it we thought we'd have the best burger ever, but we weren't impressed at all. In fact, we compared to being like a Five Guys burger joint (filling and more filling). I guess the food was decent enough, but I wouldn't go back without just getting ice cream.

As a side note, I don't get how people can eat a full meal and one of their ice cream desserts! They look so filling! :eek:

Anywho, after our snack and taking a brisk walk through the lobby area (BCV is so tremendously gorgeous), we are now heading to our destination: Saratoga Springs.

Check in was a breeze and we even got what we requested (a Congress Park room)! I was soo excited and had no idea what to expect and for good reason- this was only my second stay in a real Disney resort besides a cabin at FW!

Our room was absolutely wonderful and the view was amazing. I wasn't even expecting a DtD view, but oh did we get it :)

View:
12fixed.jpg

I'd really have to say the biggest benefit of staying at SSR is the proximity to DtD area. It was a 5 minute walk from Congress Park and our room. Plus relazing on the balcony after a long day at the parks hearing the night sounds of DtD was really pure bliss.

Later that day we headed on over to Disney Quest and we stayed here for a good 2-3 hours. We thought it was just 'okay'. We strongly disliked the Aladdin virtual ride which we all had remembered as being pretty cool, and we also loved playing the racing and score games that we used to always avoid doing here (pretty ironic, eh?). I'd say try this place once before judging it, but make sure to go when it isn't busy to make sure you can have the pleasure of trying everything (something we didn't get to do)

We ate at House of Blues, which we also thought was just 'okay'. We originally hadn't planned on eating here, but we found a $25 off coupon on Restaurants dot com so we just went for it. I ordered the peperoni pizza which we all agreed was very tasty, while my parents did not particularly like their meal (can't remember what they ordered though, sorry). Overall, we probably weren't going to be headed back to House of Blues anymore- but it was worth a shot.

Some DtD shots from across the pond at the Congress Park quiet pool area:

2010vacation2245.jpg

2010vacation2249.jpg

2010vacation2248.jpg

DHS day will be posted tomorrow! :wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Thanks!!

DHS was actually one of my favorite days of the whole vacation and it jumped to being my second favorite park! :lol:

I have more to say about DHS when I'm all said and done. Quite a bit to say actually because I forgot to add in a lot! Also check back later and i'll post more DHS pics I have! :wave:

DHS is second for me as well. The only problem is deciding on number one between MK and EP....:rolleyes:

I look forward to them indeed!

_Scar

Original Poster
DHS is second for me as well. The only problem is deciding on number one between MK and EP....:rolleyes:

I look forward to them indeed!

If I had to judge just by this trip, I'd say Epcot day was my favorite- but considering all my stays at WDW it goes

1.) DAK
2.) DHS
3.) Epcot
4.) MK

UberPlannerMom

So how many of the people in the ponchos do you think complained when they got a bit of a splash during fantasmic? You know there were some!:lol:

Running the GF has to be a huge job- that is quite an aspiration!

_Scar

Original Poster
So how many of the people in the ponchos do you think complained when they got a bit of a splash during fantasmic? You know there were some!:lol:

Running the GF has to be a huge job- that is quite an aspiration!

All 9000 because I think it started drizzling after we left :lol:

And yep, it's a dream but I'll take whatever I can get! ;) It's really a toss up between GF, BCV, Poly, and SSR in that order at the moment. You never know what the future holds!

_Scar

Original Poster
Some more DHS photos (sorry if I post doubles!):

Love this sign!

2010vaction008.jpg

Cool sign, never seen this place before

2010vaction020.jpg

Quinessential Sunset Blvd Photo

2010vaction021.jpg

Mr. Spell's seminar on what to do if you lose a part time!

2010vaction010.jpg

All in the details!

2010vaction009.jpg

Side hat! Hopefully next year it will be OUT- Side hat!
2010vaction013.jpg

5, 4, ....
2010vaction035.jpg

Hidden Mickey!

2010vaction075.jpg

Chim Chimeree Chim Chim Cherblur

2010vaction094.jpg

You'd think this was DINOSAUR with the amount of bluriness I'm getting on GMR!!

2010vaction102.jpg

_Scar

Original Poster
WOW, that's odd! I don't remember turning around to get a picture of Jane! Ghost girl?

Here's some more

Best Tree of Life picture anyone can get

2010vaction090.jpg

Awesome!!

2010vaction087.jpg

This place grew on me over time, now I love it

2010vaction113.jpg

Will this survive the makeover?

2010vaction045.jpg

_Scar

Original Poster
A few DHS notes before I go on:

1. We went into Muppet gift area and liked the unique items, but where's the Create a Muppet place?
  2. Love the green-ness of ToT at night. Reminds me of TDS' version
  3. We loved seeing the faces of celebrities (especially Walt Disney!) next to American Idol. I recommend stopping by!
  4. Backlot area was so empty- I think nobody was even in line at around 1pm! I can't wait until some life is brought into this area.
  5. I find the lack of snacks at DHS unamusing. If anyone knows where to find em in that park please let me know!
  6. Finally had the pleasure of seeing Hollywood Citizens perform briefly! LOVED IT. I can't wait to sit back for a good hour the next time I'm in DHS watching them.
  7. Lotso is awesome. That is all.

Sorry guys, running out of time- so I'll do DAK around 1-3 pm tmrw!

jonnyc

Great trip report so far! I am also in the love DHS camp. I was quite sad when I did my last tour to Endor in July :(.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
A few DHS notes before I go on:

1. We went into Muppet gift area and liked the unique items, but where's the Create a Muppet place?
  2. Love the green-ness of ToT at night. Reminds me of TDS' version
  3. We loved seeing the faces of celebrities (especially Walt Disney!) next to American Idol. I recommend stopping by!
  4. Backlot area was so empty- I think nobody was even in line at around 1pm! I can't wait until some life is brought into this area.
  5. I find the lack of snacks at DHS unamusing. If anyone knows where to find em in that park please let me know!
  6. Finally had the pleasure of seeing Hollywood Citizens perform briefly! LOVED IT. I can't wait to sit back for a good hour the next time I'm in DHS watching them.
  7. Lotso is awesome. That is all.

Sorry guys, running out of time- so I'll do DAK around 1-3 pm tmrw!

Don't forget about the Writer's Stop right next to Sci-Fi. A good place to get out of the sun (and crowds). Granted their snacks are mainly from the "bakery" line, but its still a nice place and they usually have a Disney movie or cartoons playing as well.:wave:

maggiegrace1

Sounds good so far. Can't wait for more.

We tried HoB @ DTD in 2006. It was pretty bad & way overpriced. We've not been back to that location. However, we've never had a bad meal at HoB in New Orleans. :)

Same impression on Disney Quest. We did it once. Doubt we'll go back...
So funny because we have had great meals at HOB at DTD and horrible ones every time we go to the one here in New Orleans with bad service..:lol:

Great report!

_Scar

Original Poster
Loving the trip report so far! Can't wait to hear about WWoHP!

I'm excited as well write about everything! :animwink:

Great trip report so far! I am also in the love DHS camp. I was quite sad when I did my last tour to Endor in July :(.

It's quite a great camp to be in!

Don't forget about the Writer's Stop right next to Sci-Fi. A good place to get out of the sun (and crowds). Granted their snacks are mainly from the "bakery" line, but its still a nice place and they usually have a Disney movie or cartoons playing as well.:wave:

I'll have to try that next time! Thanks!

So funny because we have had great meals at HOB at DTD and horrible ones every time we go to the one here in New Orleans with bad service..:lol:

Great report!

Oh, HoB. How confusing you are.

And thanks!

Magenta Panther

I'm with you. I stumbled across Writer's Stop while wandering around DHS, and it's quite an oasis. I go there for a break whenever I'm in the area. It was never crowded while I was there, and I like to sit down, buy a coffee, browse or buy a book and relax. (Just wish the coffee was better. Guess Starbucks has spoiled me :p)

BTW, Scar, I'm loving your trip report. DHS is my fave park, hands down (of course that may change when its runner-up, the Magic Kingdom, gets its expansion...maybe). My fave ride ever is the Tower of Terror. The Imagineers haven't built anything yet to top it. And there's just something about walking around those retro-style Art Deco buildings...it kind of gives you a feeling of walking back in time, to Walt's time...so awesome...

And I loved your pics, especially "Blurry Poppins and her supercalifragilisticexpialidocious pal Blurt" HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA~~~!!! Hilarious!!!

I'm with you about the Great Movie Ride. It's in an awesome building, but man, is the ride itself DATED. Major refurb needed, stat!!!!

_Scar

Original Poster
Monday- August 2, 2010

So, night before, we're pumped for DAK. We decided to make a second attempt at arriving at the park when gates open after failing the prior day. So, of course, we woke up at 9:30 am. Story of my life. Maybe Thursday...

Let me begin by telling you that the place is absolutely packed and the sun is really working its magic. Why is DAK always so hot? You'd think Epcot or DHS would be due to lack of shade, but nope. It's always DAK.

So we head for FP at KJS and head to our favorite attraction in the park (and by favorite I mean we can ride it over and over and over again for the whole day)

dun dun dun!

3790053993_3f49d7e444.jpg

NO! Not that!

2010Vacation2004.jpg

There we go.

So we ride this, I don't know, what felt like 10 times.

My (front row) chariot awaits

2010Vacation2013.jpg

I recommend asking the CM to wait for front row if you love the thrill. We only waited about 30 extra seconds than we would have. I really need to give the EE CMs credit for being really great!

2010Vacation2005.jpg

2010Vacation2010.jpg

Anywho, by now it's lunch time believe it or not. Now we head over to Flame Tree BBQ and wait for a table that's absolutely perfect with an amazing view.

2010Vacation2026.jpg

We were pretty much expecting a lot from Flame Tree BBQ and it just didn't deliver. The chicken I had felt dry and I didn't hear my parents bring up the meal afterwards which always means it was not too great. What can I say. I didn't like the place!

So, we're finishing up eating and we see skywriting going on. Thinking it's a marriage proposal to a girl named 'Hope' we wonder where the proposal is going to be. Come to find out it's a religious skywriter talking about Hope in God. Come on! Keep it out of the parks where people come to have fun. I found it to be horribly tacky and desperate.

Here's a message from God

2010Vacation2038.jpg

Now stay out of my Animal Kingdom!! And Epcot too for that matter (I saw it there another day!)

Our FP for KJS is now ready so we head over and this safari was so amazing!!

We saw a baby elephant running around being all cute and all, two adult elephants squirting water on each other (seriously, it seemed like a scene straight from Jungle Cruise, so amazing), finally saw the cheeta (or was it a leopard?), and the lion was also very visible being all ferocious and all. Great KJS!

OH- and look! This huge rhino was mere feet from our vehicle

2010Vacation2020.jpg

You could hear him growling too- quite loudly. It was terrifying, magical, and creepy all at the same time (much like Alice in Wonderland [both]).

OH- and look! Fantasia AA!

2010Vacation2021.jpg

I hope her eggs hatch soon! They've been there for over a decade! I'm starting to get a little woried.

After KJS, naturally we head over to Kali to cool off. Forgot to mention we got a FP here too, but oh well. 1 hr fast pass limit at DAK is a real blast!

Did I mention Kali had a 70 minute wait?! The ride is good and imo a solid D ticket, but not worth 70 minutes or even 30. I barely got wet, while my parents with ponchos got soaked (lol @ irony)- so no guarentee you'll get soaked. Plus there's an awesome fountain by the restrooms to get wet at. Don't rely on Kali!

Oh yea, we didn't like KRR. It was just 'meh'. Short and really not much happens in the little time you're there.

It basically goes:

1.) awkwardly smile at strangers who you're forced to star at for the few seconds when you're not on the lift

2.) look down, around, or up to start looking away from these strangers because finally you have a reason too since you're on the lift

3.) start screaming or going "oh no" because everyone else in your raft is flipping terrified of the approaching geyser. If you don't scream or say "oh no" people might think you're anti-social.

4.) after geyser you go through little rapids, it's just basically step 1 just you're going faster

5.) step 2 because now something's actually happening- now it's getting even more awkward knowing the rafts ae backed up and you'll be there for another minute. tension building

6.) go down drop

7.) elephant squirts you

8.) wonder why you wasted your time on this

There you go!

That's KRR in 8 steps.

Now we leave and go back to SSR! By now I've gotten used to coming back for a break. It really makes a difference for the whole vacation. I recommend EVERYONE should do this.

I'll finish DAK day soon!

_Scar

Original Poster
So, here's me finishing up Monday@DAK:

We arrive back at DAK around 7:15 (it's open for EMH from 7-10). We decided we wouldn't head back to Flame Tree for dinner (yes, we planned to eat here twice!) so we hit up Earl of Sandwich agan. They have the best 'Best BLT'. So delicious.

Back to DAK, we went straight to Dinosaur to finally ride it. This one is really one of my favorite. It's pobably my third favorite ride ever (used to be second.... if that's any hint to you). I just love those monsters!

I'd post my ride vehicle shot but I look terrified and it's not quite the picture I'd like people to see of me. I'm a sucker for that picture spot.

I litterally only took 3 pictures this night so bare with me...

I saw a lot of these in EMVs

2010Vacation2020.jpg

:thumbsup:

Circle of Life

2010Vacation2024.jpg

You realize I'm just reusing those pictures right? Bet you can't see this anyway.

Here's an actual picture I took when I got there. I'm guessing this was the dock for DRB.

2010Vacation2052.jpg

Actually, the reason I didn't take too many pictures today was because I started video taping a lot at this point. But all is not lost. I went crazy in Epcot's World Showcase and took dozens of pictures. :thumbsup:

So after we hit up Dinosaur, which we all loved, we went into that Chester (or Hester's) Souvenir shop and I just LOVE this place. Seriously, just go into it and you'll find practically anything you need and the themeing is phenomenal. Can't get enough of this place. Bonus- great plush selection!

Next we head in life for Prim Whirl. My parents HATE this ride. I love it. No changing their minds here. They really don't like this ride haha

I mean, let's be honest, it seems like you're going to derail and fall off and die at some point... but isn't that half the fun!? ...No? Just me?

Funny note: this line is always as long, if not longer than Expedition Everest.

Funnier note: CM here told us to check our seat belts on the ride right before taking off and we had a panic look on our faces not being able to find them. She told us she was joking about 10 seconds of panic later. Hilarious! More CMs need to be this much fun!

Now we head back to EE. The place is gorgeous all lit up. In fact, DAK at night as a whole is majestic.

The line for EE is a constant 20 minutes. The ride's great capacity keeps it moving, and having no FP line helps so, so, so much. So much. Did I mention FPs really suck? They do. And EMH is the perfect time to experience the wonder of what it would be like if FP didn't exist.

After riding it three times we call it a night at DAK. We had such a great time! Do I know when the next time I'm coming back here will be? YUP. Next year :)

At the time I didn't know that we'd be doing WDW again next year so it was painfully upsetting knowing it could be years before I ride my fir- SECOND favorite ride (second hint. you're probably catching on? let's hope. it's coming)

Here's two pics to carry you into my wrap up for the day:

Celebr- shut up TDO.

2010Vacation2076.jpg

Possibly my favorite picture of the trip

2010Vacation2074.jpg

Someone needs to ask Joe Rohde where the unicorns are at DAK. >;/

2010Vacation2079.jpg

A few extra things I might have missed:

1. They are really checking for your room keys on EMH. Nobody was getting by these CMs. They were serious business.
  2. Didn't have time to do the shows like FN:TM, FotLK, FoW, ITTBAB. Anyone who can do this park in a half a day is insanely talented.
  3. Tree of Life is best park icon. No contest.
  4. I think something changed with KJS in the storyline. Can't remeber now, but at the time it was apparent. Anyone know?
  5. Anyone notice how all parks seem to have the better attractions on the east side of the park? LOL
  6. I noticed the charging Carn. on DINO for the first time and it was an awesome effect! So realistic! After seeing CoP, I can see how far WDI has come! After seeing the yeti, I see they've degressed a lot.
  7. There's a ton of fish, turtles, and wildlife in general in the Discovery River. I suggest anyone who wants WoC to come to DAK's lagoon to check out this.
  8. If you want to do DAK in a whole day, don't ride EE in the beginning. You'll be addicted and ride it three more times.
  9. I commonly see ducks walking amongst the humans (especially at Epcot too). It's so hilarious!
  10. I'd say, considering everything, DAK needs an attraction twice as much as Epcot. Sorry Epcot fans.

Xethis

Great report Scar, blurry pics & all. I especially love the Kali River Rapids synopsis. :ROFLOL:

Can't wait to read more! Thanks.

margot2791

I was at WDW the end of June and saw the religious sky writing too! Disney is not the place for that. Everyone stopped what they were doing and just started staring up to see what it said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom