Princess and the frog a failure?

Animaniac93-98

$63 million after 3 weekends of release (+ limited 2 theatre run in NYC/LA) is very low for a brand new Disney animated feature with over a year of hype from the company and merch flying off the shelves months before it's release. It made less than $9 million on Christmas Day weekend placing it at #8. Alivn 2 made $77 million in 5 days which says alot about the public's attitute towards Disney and it's spending ways at the box office. It goes to show that no amount of hype can save a tarnished brand.

The movie is good, it will make money overseas, on video and in the long run, but suggesting it's domestic run so far is anything resembling a huge success is ridiculous.

jt04

$63 million after 3 weekends of release (+ limited 2 theatre run in NYC/LA) is very low for a brand new Disney animated feature with over a year of hype from the company and merch flying off the shelves months before it's release. It made less than $9 million on Christmas Day weekend placing it at #8. Alivn 2 made $77 million in 5 days which says alot about the public's attitute towards Disney and it's spending ways at the box office. It goes to show that no amount of hype can save a tarnished brand.

The movie is good, it will make money overseas, on video and in the long run, but suggesting it's domestic run so far is anything resembling a huge success is ridiculous.

They always implied that this move back to hand drawn was not on the same scale as Lion King or Little Mermaid, hence the modest budget by today's standards. They have always downplayed it's potential as a break out blockbuster. That said, though I am sure they hoped it would have made a bit more by now, there is absolutely no way it can be considered a failure in any respect. They wanted it to succeed and it will. Had they budgeted a lot more, that may have been in doubt right now. They accomplished exactly what they hoped to accomplish. A return to hand drawn animation on a permanent basis because this movie will be profitable.

PS Alvin will be lost in history, PatF will not be. It's got legs.

JWG

I actually didn't think it was a good movie. I thought it was slow to develop and lacked much plot/story. My daughter, 3-1/2, who loves all things Disney Princess didn't seem interested either.

So, the movie, not what I expected from Disney in story telling, which has nothing to do with CGI, 3-D, etc. It's not a failure, but it's also not a blockbuster success.

However, the only thing my daughter asked Santa for was a Princess Tiana doll and a trumpet (meaning the Princess and the Frog band kit that included a purple trumpet).

So the movie, maybe less than expected, but the franchise will be just fine.

ILLmaticS0ldier

Original Poster
I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! I saw it the weekend it came out to show support but to get beatend by alvin and the chimpmunks that bad is horrible!!!! It just shows that audiences don't care for the traditional animated movie.

PG 13 being the family film?????? Ok so why is iit that almost every pixar film makes more than 200 million at the box office domestically???? face it guys its doing worse than expected we thought it was going t be the next little mermaid but I feel that audiences don't reallly care for movies like this anymore!!!!!

ALL THEY WANT IS CG!!!!!!!!!!TRADITIONAL ANIMATION IS BEING SEEN AS SOMETHING OF THE PAST

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

AND I HATE IT!!!!!!!

MAF

They always implied that this move back to hand drawn was not on the same scale as Lion King or Little Mermaid, hence the modest budget by today's standards. They have always downplayed it's potential as a break out blockbuster. .

They did? All of the promotions that I saw for the movie were claiming that it would be just as big as The Lion King and Mermaid. If you compare it to those films, then yes this one is a flop.

jt04

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! I saw it the weekend it came out to show support but to get beatend by alvin and the chimpmunks that bad is horrible!!!! It just shows that audiences don't care for the traditional animated movie.

PG 13 being the family film?????? Ok so why is iit that almost every pixar film makes more than 200 million at the box office domestically???? face it guys its doing worse than expected we thought it was going t be the next little mermaid but I feel that audiences don't reallly care for movies like this anymore!!!!!

ALL THEY WANT IS CG!!!!!!!!!!TRADITIONAL ANIMATION IS BEING SEEN AS SOMETHING OF THE PAST

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

AND I HATE IT!!!!!!!

Don't count it out yet. Wayyyyy to soon.

jt04

They did? All of the promotions that I saw for the movie were claiming that it would be just as big as The Lion King and Mermaid. If you compare it to those films, then yes this one is a flop.

Link please.

dxwwf3

A terrible release date killed any chance for this to be a big hit at the BO. Merch is probably fine and it isn't a flop, but it isn't a success BO wise either.

dxwwf3

For real how is this movie going to compete against Avatar and Sherlock Holmes

Not to mention the bigger direct threat with Alvin 2. Releasing a few weeks earlier would have really helped out, but it would have competed directly with A Christmas Carol (which didn't live up to expectations either).

EpcotServo

This movie is so far from being a failure! And let me tell you exactly why.

Everyone knows that we are in a strange transition time into new media, On Demand, Blue Ray, Streaming Netflix movies, and whatever else is out there. For the last year or so, more and more people are skipping the multiplex's all together.

EXCEPT- in the case of event films. And by event films I mean the Hollywood Collossi, such as Avatar, Transformers, Twilights, Harry Potter, to name a few. Now in the 1940s, and pretty much through to the early 90s, Disney Films were event films, and not just first runs, be re-releases as well, because VHS and DVDs weren't really available yet.

And then came direct-to-DVD sequals. DUN DUN DUN! (I think it may have just thundered outside when I said that aloud). The DVD sequals made Disney Films commonplace, coming out every few months. I wouldn't call myself a Disney Purist, but I don't really consider the DVD films to be REAL Disney, or part of Disney's Animated history. So between the fact that people are skipping the theatres all together, and waiting for the DVD, and the fact that for most people who haven't spent the last two years hearing about how it's "THE RETURN TO TRADITIONAL 2-D ANIMATION!" As we all have, may not consider this to be an event.

Don't get me wrong, "Princess" took it's first weekend at the Box Office! Even from that standpoint it's not a failure, yes it did worse then expected, but if you guys didn't notice, every Pixar Film since Finding Nemo has done "Worse then Expected" and that's hardly an exaggeration. They've made it up in DVD sales, which I guarentee you will be astounding, as well as Merchandise, PATF merchendise has generally outsold any other Disney Princess Merch this holiday season, even being a top selling toy at Toys R Us stores accross the country.

John Lassiter said that "Quality is a great business plan. Period." And He is right. So as word of mouth of how great this new Disney Classic is, combined with Great Merch sales, and Exceptional DVD sales next year, I don't think anyone will consider this film to be a "failure."

^Truth.

By the way, this was one of the best performing Christmas weekends in Box Office History. Win for all of Hollywood! Be it Sherlock Holmes, Up In The Air, it's good to see well made movies be rewarded this Christmas.

Next Big Thing

Not to mention the bigger direct threat with Alvin 2. Releasing a few weeks earlier would have really helped out, but it would have competed directly with A Christmas Carol (which didn't live up to expectations either).
That was the problem though. I think they released A Christmas Carol TOO early and that's why it didn't do as good. No one cared enough at that point to see a christmas movie. Had they maybe released princess and the frog when they did Christmas carol and then schedule a later release date for a christmas date for a christmas carol. Honestly, who wants to see a christmas movie November 6th?

dxwwf3

^Truth.

By the way, this was one of the best performing Christmas weekends in Box Office History. Win for all of Hollywood! Be it Sherlock Holmes, Up In The Air, it's good to see well made movies be rewarded this Christmas.

And the best movie of them all stayed on top at #1. Great to see fantastic movies like Avatar make money when some of the best movies of the summer bombed (Bruno and Funny People come to mind immediately).

RandySavage

Disney has been pushing it's girl-power Princesses franchise so hard for the last ten years that by calling this film, "The Princess and the Frog," they virtually eliminated self-conscious boys ages 8-17 from their audience - a very important movie-going demographic.

Had they kept the title of the original fable, "The Frog Prince," they might have been able to get more boys into the theaters, while maintaining interest from girls. Very poor decision-making at the studio.

jt04

In just about every Princess and the frog commercial I see they claim "The best Disney movie since the lino king". So going by that it is a flop as of now.

Many of the reviews I have read have said this exact same thing. "Best since Lion King". Mark my words, the movie will have legs and be around a long time.

The real future for Disney animation lies with Rapunzel and the new Pooh movie. They are working on new technology that combines hand drawn with computers. The goal is to create the richness of an oil painting in a full length animated feature. Then we will have a better idea on the future of hand drawn animation. I'm still optimistic. By the way, Pixar is going to be doing some traditional animation rumor has it. So stay tuned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom