Soda price increase

Roxas

Last I heard, Disney's contract with Coca-Cola provides the syrup for free. All Disney has to pay for is the water, carbon dioxide, and cups which is close to nothing per cup of soda they sell. Not sure if this has changed, but if it hasn't, that's a lot of profit per cup.

It's not free but it is cheap. (The syrup), Think of the advertising.

raiden

I usually bring my own water in the parks so the price really isnt a big deal. BUT since there are raising water and soda prices, can they just bring back resort specific mugs. K, WDW? Thx!

SirGoofy

1 - Stop bringing back mugs from previous trips to keep costs down :lookaroun

2 - Don't b**ch about the price, and then fork over the $$ for a soda - there's plenty of water fountains around property if yer gonna whine about the price.

3 - *runs and hides* - I'm feisty today :fork:

Sorry, but it's starting to get ridiculous. If they want increased spending in the parks, raising prices sure as heck isn't going to help it.

On top of that, they need to improve the product(the parks) in order to justify this stuff in my mind.

Brian Noble

We've been over (and over and over) this.

Every time something goes up in price, folks decry it as the straw that will finally break the camel's back. Yet, amazingly, the camel keeps on keeping on.

These little increases aren't even going to be noticed by most people who don't obsess over every little detail in the parks---it's boiling a frog.

Pioneer Hall

While the price has gone up...Disney is still cheaper than almost every other theme park I have been to. Six Flags by me is absolutely ridiculous with their prices. The 32 oz soda you get in Disney for 2.49 is about 4.50 in six flags.

Missing20K

While the price has gone up...Disney is still cheaper than almost every other theme park I have been to. Six Flags by me is absolutely ridiculous with their prices. The 32 oz soda you get in Disney for 2.49 is about 4.50 in six flags.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think it's that bad all things considered. Less than a dollar more, maybe just a few cents more, than a similar sized drink at a fast food restaurant.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Yeah it went up about a month ago now I think. Bottled sodas are also $2.50 now instead of $2.00

Stinks all around.

I discovered a strange scenario with the price increases recently. If you purchase a bottled soft drink at a cart it's $2.50 but I went into the Main Street Confectionary and bought one the price was $2.55. The cast member was unable to explain why their price was $.05 higher than the same merchandise 100 feet away at the popcorn cart near the train station. Doesn't make a whole of sense to me.

In general though, the prices are way lower than most of the other parks in this area for similar items.

Hummer1676

I get everyones concerns and valid points, but there is something to be said about having one vendor for everything. With Six Flags you can run to your car. With Disney World you are usually staying on property at a hotel and have no other choice then to purchase what they carry. At the same time, if you can't afford the extra cents then maybe you shouldn't be on a disney vacation.

Just my 2 cents......literally!

kimmychad

Sorry if this has already been posted. I can't search on my iPhone.

Prices of fountain soda in the parks has increased. The cost of a regular soda is now $2.19 and a large is $2.49. So far, every location in MK has the new price. Not sure about any of the resorts, but they are most likely the same.

thanks for the update about the price increase, I appreciate being kept up to date on the current prices of things at disney. It's not that I can't afford the increase, but if I decide it's too much I can utilize other options that are available to me.
I never see information as a bad thing.

oh, can someone remind me if steve got flamed for reporting that the price of bottled water went up from 2.00 to 2.50?

MissM

I believe Steven reported the water as well, right?
Yeah, all the bottled products went up. Both soda and water. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Even the flavored water products like Vitamin Water and Fuze went up. (They're both over $3 right now. Something in the $3.25 and $3.95 range respectively I believe.)

I discovered a strange scenario with the price increases recently. If you purchase a bottled soft drink at a cart it's $2.50 but I went into the Main Street Confectionary and bought one the price was $2.55. The cast member was unable to explain why their price was $.05 higher than the same merchandise 100 feet away at the popcorn cart near the train station. Doesn't make a whole of sense to me.
How weird is that? I've purchased sodas from the Space Mountain store and the locker rental shop in MK (they both have a cooler) and it was $2.50 then. So the Confectionary being higher is definitely odd.

PhilharMagician

Yep, it's called inflation and you might want to get used to it. I'm just sayin'............

Right now we are going through a short term of deflation, but hold on to your socks because inflation is yet to come!

While prices are dropping on just about everything Disney is raising beverage prices? What is going to happen when our government starts running the printing presses and inflation really goes through the roof? :rolleyes:

Uncle Lupe

And to some people these price increases may drive people away from Disney vacations. increased prices=decreased attendance=decreased revenues=decreased number of new attractions=unemployed workers, etc. Disney needs to be very careful about price increases during these economic times. They could be pricing the parks out of business like the Post Office is slowly but surely doing these last few years..

If you are on that tight if a budget for a vacation then maybe you should just save some extra money before you go or rethink a trip you can't afford. I hate being nickle and dimedsp? also but we are SAVING money over a 2 year period to go on our trip so I could care less if they raise the price on soda a few cents.

uklad79

it's funny because at the end of the day it costs them .05-.15 to fill a cup depending on size :zipit:

And a T-Shirt costs a $1 for Disney to have made in China but sells for $15 in the parks. That's how business works they don't sell things on for the same price other wise the parks would close down.

We were talking about this at work today. People attitudes to food and drink have been Walmarted where we think food and drink should be much cheaper than it should be because Walmart forces prices down. Its just like ticketmastered where tickets to concerts have gone from $30/$40 10 years ago to $100+ but no one complains and just accepts thats the market rate. The same applys here Disney what the market rate is for drinks in parks but people have the Walmart price in there head.

jonnyc

You could drink out the water fountains, but (referencing what i believe was an epic thread last year about this) Florida water tastes funny :p.

I remeber when was at WDW in the summer it was $2 to the £1, those were the days.

jt04

Right now we are going through a short term of deflation, but hold on to your socks because inflation is yet to come!

While prices are dropping on just about everything Disney is raising beverage prices? What is going to happen when our government starts running the printing presses and inflation really goes through the roof? :rolleyes:

I agree 100% as I have actually lived through this type recession before. Disney did deflate their room prices and these small increases on optional items are to be expected before the real inflation hits. Good thing I like the taste of Florida water although I admit it is an acquired taste. Yummy, minerals. :slurp:

Missing20K

I agree 100% as I have actually lived through this type recession before. Disney did deflate their room prices and these small increases on optional items are to be expected before the real inflation hits. Good thing I like the taste of Florida water although I admit it is an acquired taste. Yummy, minerals. :slurp:

Any chance you remember Disney's response in the recession you lived through? That is, were prices raised dramatically at the time?

marcriss

thanks for the update about the price increase, I appreciate being kept up to date on the current prices of things at disney. It's not that I can't afford the increase, but if I decide it's too much I can utilize other options that are available to me.
I never see information as a bad thing.

oh, can someone remind me if steve got flamed for reporting that the price of bottled water went up from 2.00 to 2.50?

If I remember correctly he was flamed. People jumped on him for complaining rather than informing.:)

jt04

Any chance you remember Disney's response in the recession you lived through? That is, were prices raised dramatically at the time?

I was speaking of the economy as a whole and not just Disney. Disney Parks and resorts will have to respond in other ways to a long recession as people have a choice about vacation budgets. So Disney tends to set prices to continue to get visitors (as they have done) and instead cut operating expenses and personel (as they have done). Disney will continue this strategy and only raise prices where they can. So as someone observed, it may be better to pay a bit more for soda rather than see CM''s and others lose their jobs because that is generally the only choice Disney has.

The pending inflation we face will be in energy and other heavy imports we are way too dependent on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom