Remember when there were only TWO Parks..( a Nostalgia Thread)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Hello Friends

I thought it would be a fun, interesting venture to start a 'nostalgia' thread for those of us who fondly recall the days of when WDW consisted of only TWO Parks. Yes...only two....that cherished time between 1982 and 1989 when 'The Vacation Kingdom of the World' was just one Kingdom and one Center ( EPCOT Center that is..)

Remember? If not...here is a swell magnet from the period to refresh your memory:

WDWRetroMagnet.jpg

I have gathered up some of my personal relics of that Golden Era and have posted photos below. I have tried to choose things that i thought would be interesting and uncommon that showcase only the first two Parks. Feel free ( please!) to add ! This is ment to be a community thread, and i hope everyone gets a chance to dig out some gems, scan em', and include them here for sharing.

Anything neat that came from that time period...and only has the first two Parks .....

I will go ahead and start things off:

WaltDisneyWorld1986graphic.jpg

^ Cool collector plate from the period

WDWRetro78PaperBag.jpg

^ The paper bag one might have brought it home in...

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Remember that back then, EASTERN AIRLINES was the 'Official Airline of Walt Disney World'??

No??

Well here is the proof:

WDWRetroEasternAirlinesNapkin.jpg

^ This is a beverage napkin recieved on board a flight to MCO advertising about the all new wonder - EPCOT Center! Woo!

And speaking of MCO....

WDWRetroMCOluggagetag.jpg

^ Check out this super-cool luggage tag ..back when they tagged your bags without bar codes!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Once you arrived at MCO, it was time to hit the Parks!

First, parking. Remember when it was only $2.00 to park On Property?

WDWRetroParkingMedia.jpg

Now that we are parked in 'Imagination'.....we can take the Tram to the front gate.

Good thing you have your tickets handy:

WDWRetroWorldPassporttickets.jpg

^ 1983 'WorldPassport' multi-day tickets. Note that both the Adult and Junior tickets are STILL VALID for a days addmission.

Of course, if we want to go over to The Magic Kingdom later on, we will need to purchase our Transportation Ticket too. Let's take a boat ride over to 'Discovery Island' while we are there....

WDWRetroTicketMedia.jpg

^ Gotta love the cool design work here.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
After a swell time in the Parks ( both of them...) the time comes to go back home. Perhaps you did not get all the souveniers you wanted.....

Thank goodness for WDW Mail Order Services!

WDWRetro85MerchCatalog.jpg

^ Mid-80's Merchandise Catalog. Oh the STUFF they have in here....

* WARNING TO DIE-HARD EPCOT CENTER FANS!!*

The following may cause serious convulsions and fits of estatic giddiness- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Actually i made sure to post this for all my Pro-EPCOT friends here...i am a total EPCOT geek as well, and this page makes any such fan suddenly have uncontrolable body functions....:lol:

This is for YOU with love!

WDWRetroEPCOTMerch-1.jpg

^ ...a lovely selection of period merchandise being offered from Epcot Center ( drools....)

If you ordered a lot of stuff, you might get lucky and see it arrive all wrapped up in a cool plastic bag like this:

WDWRetro85PlasticBag.jpg

^ I love this groovy design!

EPCOT Explorer

Oh WOW!

Love this thread! It's like eBay exploded!:lol:

That EPCOT page is amazing. I have a few of those things...*grin*:D
;)

I'll have to dig out some of my stuff so I can post!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
* WARNING TO DIE-HARD EPCOT CENTER FANS!!*

The following may cause serious convulsions and fits of estatic giddiness- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Actually i made sure to post this for all my Pro-EPCOT friends here...i am a total EPCOT geek as well, and this page makes any such fan suddenly have uncontrolable body functions....:lol:

This is for YOU with love!

WDWRetroEPCOTMerch-1.jpg

^ ...a lovely selection of period merchandise being offered from Epcot Center ( drools....)
This guy NEEDS the Figgy clock and Kitchen Kabaret pot holders. :eek:

(out of all that stuff I just have the Figgy plush, bank, and bottle opener :lol: )

Cmdr_Crimson

I remember every time a disney park special was on in the 80's and early 90's when Juan Valdez Columbian Coffee was the Offical Coffee of Disneyland & Walt Disney World.
Juan.gif

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Love all of the Kitchen Kaberet booty too! The placemat is AWESOME!!

:sohappy:

( drools..)

That was such a cool show.

Keep digging for more goodies folks!

disneytopdog

Summer 83 was my first trip ever to WDW after a long absence of anything Disney since 1971 when my family moved from Granada Hills CA(just north of Disneyland).

I was 19 when I visited WDW. I was BLOWN AWAY by EPCOT Center. I do have a ticket from my trip back then:

4-day World passport was
$45 fo an Adult
$42 for a Junior(12-17 Y/O)
$36 for a Child(3-11 Y/O)

3-day world passport was
$35 for an Adult
$33 for a Junior (12-17 years old)
$28 for a child (3-11 years old)

One day ticket:
$15 for Adult
$14 for Junior
$12 for child

NiarrNDisney

Yeah Memories! I still have the Figment patch where he is opening a gold pot and a rainbow is shooting out of it dated from 1982. I think this started my love for Epcot and of coarse my obsession with everyone's favorite little purple dragon. (BTW I wish someone could make a Figment smiley)

disneytopdog

I also have a "LIFE MAGAZINE" dated 12/82. In it it has a "LIFE SPECIAL ADVERTISING SUPPLEMENT" its a 25 page add for WDW but centering on EPCOT Center. It reports it cost Disney 1 billion to build EPCOT.

diddy_mouse

OMG I found my new favorite thread! :D Thank you so much for posting such wonderful items!! I was looking though my 10th anniversary of WDW book not too long ago...now that's a great book! :)

yankspy

Ahhh.. The days when the Poly had Lime Green and Sky Blue floors.:lol: Anyway, here are a few things from my collection. I have posted pics of some of these before.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MissM

WDWRetro78PaperBag.jpg

^ The paper bag one might have brought it home in...

I vividly remember this design and these bags!!

WDWRetroWorldPassporttickets.jpg

^ 1983 'WorldPassport' multi-day tickets. Note that both the Adult and Junior tickets are STILL VALID for a days addmission.

My first visit to WDW was in 1984. We had the three day World Passport tickets. Though the child was pink. I saved the purple adult and my pink ticket for years. Sadly, I don't know what happened to them or I'd still have them. They just stamped the date by hand as seen in the tickets here, oh yes!

I used to think it was funny that in the days of two parks you could get a ONE day or a THREE day ticket. Then, when MGM opened, you could get a FOUR day but not a three. :lol:

What a great time back then! It's when I got my Figment:

figment-plush1.jpg

figment-plush1b.jpg

And where my love of the little purple guy started. My memories of Imagination from back then remain some of my all-time most cherished WDW moments!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom