BLT & Treeshouse DVC Announced

WDWFigment

From MouseOwners.com forums (which was taken from another site; reputable poster):

The price is $112 per point . Existing members can buy a minimum of 25 points. $5 discount available - I believe it is a gift card. I am not sure if the $112 already factors in the discount (edit: it doesn't). Founder brick for 160 points or more. More details to come. Points charts are out but guides have not been given approval to email them.

EDIT: Someone also posted that a week at DVC in September will look like this:

VWL: 104 (for comparison)
BLT@DCR (standard view): 106
BLT@DCR (lake view): 117
BLT@DCR (MK view): 141

ryguy

I don't know but I would be nervous if I was trying to sell these units. I said months ago that when the economy is hurting and the stock market has its worst day since 9/11 the first thing people aren't thinking of is hey I need a timeshare or go to Disneyworld. I laughed when I read that the exec thinks that a great selling point will be I can save on future vacations. Thats a great idea when I have a wad of money sitting in my pocket, but thats not the reality of todays consumer. I would think that getting a loan for this sort of thing is going to be difficult. As usual this will be great for the top 10% of the population, but thats about it. The majority of americans are far more concerned about their 401k, how they are going to pay for $4-$5 gas, etc... The first week will probably be great for sales, after that I am not so sure. That price point ($150.00)seems really high. Maybe they are hoping for a large foreign investment until the US economy rebounds. I do hope I am wrong, because I think on paper these two new resorts do look pretty cool. Hawaii seems pretty neat too.

WDWFigment

I don't know but I would be nervous if I was trying to sell these units. I said months ago that when the economy is hurting and the stock market has its worst day since 9/11 the first thing people aren't thinking of is hey I need a timeshare or go to Disneyworld. I laughed when I read that the exec thinks that a great selling point will be I can save on future vacations. Thats a great idea when I have a wad of money sitting in my pocket, but thats not the reality of todays consumer. I would think that getting a loan for this sort of thing is going to be difficult. As usual this will be great for the top 10% of the population, but thats about it. The majority of americans are far more concerned about their 401k, how they are going to pay for $4-$5 gas, etc... The first week will probably be great for sales, after that I am not so sure. That price point ($150.00)seems really high. Maybe they are hoping for a large foreign investment until the US economy rebounds. I do hope I am wrong, because I think on paper these two new resorts do look pretty cool. Hawaii seems pretty neat too.

1) Timeshares have not been too negatively affected by the economy as people are reluctant to give up on their vacations, so they are looking to "lock in" future vacations now (I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, just that it's what is happening).

2) At $18,000+, this is a luxury item that appeals primarily to those who are insulated from economic downturns. That market is certainly big enough (even if it's not the top 10% of the population) to sell these out in a hurry. I would imagine these will sell out faster than BCV (the fastest selling thus far).

PhilharMagician

From MouseOwners.com forums (which was taken from another site; reputable poster):

The price is $112 per point . Existing members can buy a minimum of 25 points. $5 discount available - I believe it is a gift card. I am not sure if the $112 already factors in the discount (edit: it doesn't). Founder brick for 160 points or more. More details to come. Points charts are out but guides have not been given approval to email them.

EDIT: Someone also posted that a week at DVC in September will look like this:

VWL: 104 (for comparison)
BLT@DCR (standard view): 106
BLT@DCR (lake view): 117
BLT@DCR (MK view): 141

I will add that would be for a studio.

Buried20KLeague

Just a quick note on the "loan" topic you brought up...

Disney holds their own loans for DVC. So if you want to finance the purchase of DVC, Disney is the one loaning you money. From what I understand, since Disney holds the loan, it isn't really even seen by the outside world. Meaning, it's not part of a debt-to-equity report that someone might pull up on you if you were needing to finance some other purchase, like a car or house.

That's good and bad, because for some it will mean biting off more than they can chew because Disney's been giving loans to everyone and their blue dog. They haven't been too picky (although with the current economic situation, I'm betting it will get a little tougher from them). On the other hand, it's good because it doesn't take an act from Congress to get signed up.

On a personal note...

WHERE DO I SIGN FOR BOTH THE BLT AND THE TREEHOUSES??????

I've been waiting for an announcement on one or both of these for a couple years. Been holding off on DVC. At $112 per point with a $5 incentive, I'm ON it. For both.

MousDad

Disney holds their own loans for DVC. So if you want to finance the purchase of DVC, Disney is the one loaning you money. From what I understand, since Disney holds the loan, it isn't really even seen by the outside world. Meaning, it's not part of a debt-to-equity report that someone might pull up on you if you were needing to finance some other purchase, like a car or house.

I know you're a great poster, and a nice person, but I have to be honest and say that I have a real hard time believing that this is true. If it is, I would be extremely surprised. Does Disney really have a financing arm? Isn't that risky business for an entertainment company? Where's the capital for that come from?

jmmc

Wow

So, the video clip starring that woman is supposed attract people to stay there and spend their money? Yeesh. Who came up with that?? Supposed to be funny, I guess... What's wrong with good old Stacy? :)

PhilharMagician

I know you're a great poster, and a nice person, but I have to be honest and say that I have a real hard time believing that this is true. If it is, I would be extremely surprised. Does Disney really have a financing arm? Isn't that risky business for an entertainment company? Where's the capital for that come from?

Financing is held by a branch of WDC. It is smart business for the company. They make money on money with money. If someone faults on their loan, well it goes back into the pot and is resold. If DVC wasn't profitable you would not see them expanding as much as they have. The DVC ownership apparently is worth more than the $400.00 and up per night the new tower would have generated as a typical resort hotel.

MousDad

Financing is held by a branch of WDC. It is smart business for the company. They make money on money with money. If someone faults on their loan, well it goes back into the pot and is resold. If DVC wasn't profitable you would not see them expanding as much as they have. The DVC ownership apparently is worth more than the $400.00 and up per night the new tower would have generated as a typical resort hotel.

Interesting. What is that branch of the Co. called?

So when they finance a DVC, no money actually changes hands? Sounds more like a lease, rather than a loan / repayment. Either they collect all the money up front, or they collect it in installments for a larger amount. If you default, they've at least made some money off you, and can "re-sell" it at its full value.

That might explain why it wouldn't show up on your credit report as debt, because you haven't really borrowed that amount of money, you're essentially making lease payments.

PhilharMagician

So when they finance a DVC, no money actually changes hands? Sounds more like a lease, rather than a loan / repayment. Either they collect all the money up front, or they collect it in installments for a larger amount. If you default, they've at least made some money off you, and can "re-sell" it at its full value.

That might explain why it wouldn't show up on your credit report as debt, because you haven't really borrowed that amount of money, you're essentially making lease payments.

I'll look it up. We at one point financed some our our purchase.

Buried20KLeague

Well, the money moves from one pocket to another... But yes, it's all still pockets on the Disney pair of pants. :lol:

Think of it basically like their own private bank. Their own bank loans you the money to buy their own product that is basically just a document (deed). That way Disney makes money on selling you their own product, and then they let you pay them slower than normal for that product, and charge you for it.

If you pay, great! They get your money. If you don't, they'll hassel you for a while, then take back their product and sell it to the next guy. Being that it's just paperwork, etc... There's nothing to "reposses". It couldn't be easier for them.

And yes, you're exactly correct. That's why the outside credit companies don't see it. At least not the way they see everything else. It's like if you called a buddy and asked for a loan and promised to pay him interest on it. You'd know, and he'd know... But no one else would.

And no worries on questioning me, either. :wave: I appreciate that you enjoy my posts. Thanks!

Buried20KLeague

Only 283 views so far on the you tube video.

Doesn't that seem VERY low?

It'll be interesting to see how the BLT does.

My bet is a fairly quick sell out, but with 4 properties on sale from Disney all at once... I don't think it'll beat the BCV's (which was 13 or 14 months, I think).

Disneyfan1981

They call DVC financing "Disney Secret Debt" it isn't reported to the credit bureaus as debt other than when they check your credit unless you are delinquent on your terms. I just had a full Credit Report done and I've owned a DVC since July and it didn't show just the original Credit Check.

I'm glad I didn't buy my points at AKL, I was just about to at the end of this week but I'll be buying here instead. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom