Red Sox official makes "exploratory" visit to Disney sports complex

WishIwasThere

Back onto the topic...
This would be awesome. I still remember my Navy days in Orlando back in the 80's. Me and some friends would hop in the car and drive down to Winter Haven to catch the Sox in spring training. Met Loius Tiant there one day in the stands:sohappy:...still had his Fu Man Chu even though it was grey.

JCorduroy

I grew up the son of a Sox fan, and I was happy to see them win in 04 and 07. Now I've got a TEAM to believe in, not a group of overpayed people who perform a sport together as their job.

OK, and where were you supporting the Rays the previous 10 years of their existance? Fair weather, much? What happens if they have a garbage year next year or tank it all of a sudden this season? :)

And to be fair, all professional athletes are overpayed - the Sox are just more overpayed than most. :)

JCorduroy

Being a Bostonian who has spent 4 years of college baseball spring training in Fort Myers, and 6 more vacationing in Bonita Springs, I can say that even though it's disappointing that I won't be able to shoot over to a Sox game, I completely see why the Sox left, and realize that it is definitely in their best interest...Yes, Ft. Myers is a dump. I don't think there is another town in America that frequents "COPS" more often...Disney is a definite upgrade if it happens, and I hope it does because it will give me another reason to go.

Having grown up in Ft. Myers for a good chunk of my adolesence, it's not a 'dump' - the statement that it is a dump is rather rude and frankly, a huge generalization. I was born in Fall River, Massachusetts and lived in Ft Myers, and both places have their good sides and both places have their bad sides. Just like EVERY other town in America.

It's a fact that the area where the Sox practice facility is located is a bad part of town - I'll give you that. But when you're basing your entire opinion of the area on that, well, you're wrong. Go down McGregor, go to South Ft. Myers, visit Cape Coral, walk around Downtown - it's a beautiful place. Great, and overall a safe place to grow up.

Now - were you to say that Ft. Myers is boring, and that there's nothing to do....well, yes, you'd be spot on there. ;)

crazydaveh

As a Braves fan who grew up in Atlanta and now lives in Orlando, this stinks if it's true!

The WWoS Complex is and has been the home of the Braves for many years now, I don't like the idea of sharing because it will get crazy down there on gamedays!

The Braves used to share a spot with the Expos (I could be wrong) out on the beach several years ago, and that wasn't too great from a fan perspective, so having two very popular teams will only make the WWoS very congested at an already very busy time of year.

If the Sox want to come to Central Florida and play somewhere else, I'm all for that, but as a Braves fan (I know we've been stinking it up for a few years) I'd like to keep them as the lone team at WDW.

DonaldDuck34

I grew up the son of a Sox fan, and I was happy to see them win in 04 and 07. Now I've got a TEAM to believe in, not a group of overpayed people who perform a sport together as their job. Get out of Florida all Boston players and fans, this is OUR state YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME! LETS GO RAYS!!!!!

WOW... I think you need to calm down for a second. Its a business deal not a popularity contest so i think you need to chill out. They aren't trying to "takeover" FL. And lets face it the Rays are going to slow down towards the end of the season and mostlikely miss the playoffs. So yea you had a nice first half of the season but get in touch with reality. The Rays will fold. GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.
I'd love to see the sox at WWOS because that would just give my family and I one more reason to go down to WDW every year. And disney would get all of the die hard sox fans to come down and vist. It makes perfect sense for both parties involved.

maryszhi

awesome , now ill have my dad comeing to disney for spring break with ease. just get him tics, drop him off, its going to be awesome. gone are the days were he would wake me up early and my friends and my mom to drive to frt. myers to go watch them. it got old after a while, which is why we always stop in frt.meyers lol

DonaldDuck34

I grew up the son of a Sox fan, and I was happy to see them win in 04 and 07. Now I've got a TEAM to believe in, not a group of overpayed people who perform a sport together as their job. Get out of Florida all Boston players and fans, this is OUR state YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME! LETS GO RAYS!!!!!

Fair weather fan... Fair weather fan... Fair weather fan... so when you weren't proud of the rays who did you cheer for??? I bet it was your fathers team. So pretty much you've jumped on the bandwagon don't come back to boston when the wheels fall off buddy.

hrcollectibles

Having grown up in Ft. Myers for a good chunk of my adolesence, it's not a 'dump' - the statement that it is a dump is rather rude and frankly, a huge generalization. I was born in Fall River, Massachusetts and lived in Ft Myers, and both places have their good sides and both places have their bad sides. Just like EVERY other town in America.

It's a fact that the area where the Sox practice facility is located is a bad part of town - I'll give you that. But when you're basing your entire opinion of the area on that, well, you're wrong. Go down McGregor, go to South Ft. Myers, visit Cape Coral, walk around Downtown - it's a beautiful place. Great, and overall a safe place to grow up.

Now - were you to say that Ft. Myers is boring, and that there's nothing to do....well, yes, you'd be spot on there. ;)

Here Here.. That is the reason so many of us move to Orlando from here in Fort Myers. where it is the mecca of Theme parks and stuff to do. Although living here is not all that bad, I mean its about a 2 and a half hour drive to Orlando or Miami and about a 2 hour drive to Tampa. It has been my experience that a lot of stadiums are built in .. um how should I say this, non desirable places.. Take Tropicana Field and Joe Robbie Stadium (Or whatever it is called). Those tow stadiums are not built in the best of places.
As much as I hate to say this. I hope the Sox do move and hopefully we can get another team. I have noticed an influx of Band Wagon Fans many of which were Yankees fans a few years ago..Maybe they were touring the complex to get ideas as to what they would want to have built for them

hrcollectibles

We (Rays Fans) really do not need Band Wagon fans. Having grown up in South Florida and can remember when we only had to professional sports teams. It was great once we got baseball teams. I have been a Fan of the Bucs since I can remember. I am also an Orlando Magic, Lightening and Rays fan. This has been a magical season and I am hoping we can make a run in the playoffs. I can bet that if the rays fail and do not make the playoffs you will be right back on the Sox Bandwagon. Lemme guess you have rays stuff plastering your car. Of course these are covering up your Sox items

WDWFREAK53

We (Rays Fans) really do not need Band Wagon fans. Having grown up in South Florida and can remember when we only had to professional sports teams. It was great once we got baseball teams. I have been a Fan of the Bucs since I can remember. I am also an Orlando Magic, Lightening and Rays fan. This has been a magical season and I am hoping we can make a run in the playoffs. I can bet that if the rays fail and do not make the playoffs you will be right back on the Sox Bandwagon. Lemme guess you have rays stuff plastering your car. Of course these are covering up your Sox items

Congratulations on your team's success this year. Good luck from here on out. It's great to have another team in the hunt in the AL East.

(Yes, this from a Red Sox fan :lol: (We're not ALL annoying!))

hrcollectibles

Congratulations on your team's success this year. Good luck from here on out. It's great to have another team in the hunt in the AL East.

(Yes, this from a Red Sox fan :lol: (We're not ALL annoying!))

Lol I know you aren't :ROFLOL:I have a great friend (on this board)who is a Sox fan.. We even go to the parks and we don't kill each other...

BillsFanGabe

GO YANKEES!!!!, maybe if I'm there sometime during spring training, I'll have to stop down and see a Yanks-Sox game. I want to Yankee Stadium during April and saw the Yanks-Sox play a series, Yanks won the 1st game 15-9, OH YEAH!!!! YANKEES EQUAL WORLD SERIES 08 CHAMPS (now w/ newly added Nady, Marte, and Pudge)

BeachClubVillas

Gee, that's not insulting at all. :rolleyes:

donvincenzo

Gee, that's not insulting at all. :rolleyes:

I for one am crushed by that comment. :lookaroun

As WDWFREAK53 brought out, I too am very happy for you Rays fans to finally have a team worth watching and to see someone other than Sox/Yanks make a run for the AL East. I've been expecting TB to come around for a long time because of all the young players they have and have been able to keep (Crawford, Upton, Kazmir, Shields, Pena (who BTW, was raised in Haverhill, Massachusetts)). I saw one game in Tampa when I was visiting my grandmother a couple years ago (I must say however that your stadium sucks) and Kazmir threw a CG shutout, two-hitter. The crowd seemed to be into it, so hopefully with the success of this season you can build up a decent fan base.

But back to the thread, don't wanna read too much into it, but were the Sox to make WWOS their spring training home, I know I will go down with my dad. We always wanted to go to Ft. Myers and never got the chance. But if they were playing in Disney, we could bring my mother, leave her to roam the resorts or parks, and enjoy the games. Then when nothing is going on, join her.....

WDWFREAK53

...I guess Manny won't be with them at Spring Training :lol:

Welcome Bay :)

Good Riddance to the drama.

Manny's a great player...and he's fun to watch...but you can just tell this crap is taking a toll on the rest of the team.

Disney_Belle

...I guess Manny won't be with them at Spring Training :lol:

Welcome Bay :)

Good Riddance to the drama.

Manny's a great player...and he's fun to watch...but you can just tell this crap is taking a toll on the rest of the team.

as a fellow red sox fan i definitely agree with you :)

TheKeeler7

I didn't realize Tampa Bay had fans. Every game I watch the crowd looks like a Sox home game.

Anyways this would be awesome if it happened, I've always talked about taking the kids to spring training but my DW knows I couldn't drive all the way to FL without a stop at the world. This would take care of that.

Amen on the Manny deal, now they can talk about other things on the radio up here.

(PS Rays fans, I'm just having fun I actually like seeing someone besides the Yankees doing well)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
right.

There are many more reasons to get out of Florida other than rants like that. All of them better than your rant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom