Leave a Legacy Steals Souls!

SirNim

"We're sorry. Due to numberous guest complaints we are removing your face from the entrance of Epcot.
No, no! The tiles themselves should certainly stay based on the terms and conditions of the contract. It would not be a difficult task to unscrew all the metal plaques off the stones and reattach them along the outer edges of the entrance plaza, with each plaque roughly in the same geographical sector as its original stone. It allows the tiles to stay so guests can visit their images, it allows guests to easily find their tiles since they will retain their same ordering and same side of the plaza, and it also allows for the monstrous, foreboding, anti-futuristic stones to be replaced with a brand new, inviting, pleasant, futuristic entrance garden.

raven

No, no! The tiles themselves should certainly stay based on the terms and conditions of the contract. It would not be a difficult task to unscrew all the metal plaques off the stones and reattach them along the outer edges of the entrance plaza, with each plaque roughly in the same geographical sector as its original stone.

On the concrete bench that surrounds that area? No thanks. I don't want some woman's fat a$$ on my face. :eek:

SirNim

On the concrete bench that surrounds that area? No thanks. I don't want some woman's fat a$$ on my face. :eek:
I don't think placing the plaques in a horizontal orientation—that is, so that it is possible to sit on them—would be required. They can be attached to, if need be, a new vertically-oriented rigging along each of the two flanks of the entrance plaza, east and west. Like, running along towards the "MerfCove" by west and the wheelchair/stroller rental by east. It could be a simple steel support structure; the reverse side wouldn't even be visible to the guests, so just steel support beams and whatnot. All guests could possibly see would be the front, to which the very same plaques that now grace the stones would be attached. Scattering the plaques elsewhere around Future World can't work because it would require a tremendous effort to notify the database of LaL participants of the changes (mail out letters, basically begin the program anew from a bookkeeping perspective). Only by moving the plaques to the edges of the Entrance Plaza can the ordering scheme continue to be used, since the new locations would roughly mirror the old stone-based locations, and it would free up the bulk of the Entrance Plaza for more progressive, attractive development.

echoscot

I want them to take down that UGLY WAND NOW!....oh, wait, they already did....what can I complain about now...let's see....oh, yeah, that UGLY LAL NEEDS TO COME DOWN NOW!!!:D

I actually do kind of agree with Merf on this one, kind of, I think it's a bit lame. If it comes down great, if it doesn't, great. Oh well. It isn't going to stop me from enjoying Epcot.

Do you know the original marketing plans for LaL? Do you know the projected sales, used tiles and time it would take to fill them? Were you on the planning committee for LaL? If not then you cannot call it a commercial flop. With thousands of people having their faces on the tiles over the past 9 or so years you can hardly call it that. Some people think it was simply a money-making opportunity for Disney and people fell for it. Well I only paid $20 for mine and I think it's cool to know that my face is inside of Epcot and a monorail passes over me every few minutes. To me, and many others on those walls, LaL is knowing that you are part of the magic every day. Hardly a flop when you think about that.

I think that is a bit unfair, I think it is a flop and I wasn't on any of those committees nor did I have any of that inside information, and neither do you.

I thought Splendid China was a flop, and I didn't know the marketing plans or projected sales, nor was I on any of their planning committees, heck I didn't even go to the freaking park, but can I call it a flop, you bet...either that or it was a front for the Chinese mafia...I'm not really sure on that one...But this all depends on if anyone even knew what Splendid China was...

All in all I just wanted to make sure this thread didn't die because I thought it was funny to read through...

No real sweat off my shoulders, but if they do reinstate that girl in the center in the white polyester jump suit, I'll be back there next week!!!!

raven

I don't think placing the plaques in a horizontal orientation—that is, so that it is possible to sit on them—would be required. They can be attached to, if need be, a new vertically-oriented rigging along each of the two flanks of the entrance plaza, east and west. Like, running along towards the "MerfCove" by west and the wheelchair/stroller rental by east. It could be a simple steel support structure; the reverse side wouldn't even be visible to the guests, so just steel support beams and whatnot. All guests could possibly see would be the front, to which the very same plaques that now grace the stones would be attached. Scattering the plaques elsewhere around Future World can't work because it would require a tremendous effort to notify the database of LaL participants of the changes (mail out letters, basically begin the program anew from a bookkeeping perspective). Only by moving the plaques to the edges of the Entrance Plaza can the ordering scheme continue to be used, since the new locations would roughly mirror the old stone-based locations, and it would free up the bulk of the Entrance Plaza for more progressive, attractive development.

As long as they stay at the entrance to Epcot then they can do whatever they want in my opinion. That would at least keep everyone happy.

TheBeatles

Well... EPCOT is ever changing and I consider LaL to be part of that process. At first there was the three prong and flower entrance, now we have the LaL entrance. Eventually we'll have a new entrance and (hopefully) all will be well.

Since Innoventions is a cluster of things, maybe the tiles could be moved there. They could be displayed on a gigantic wall and you could use a computer to look up your picture. As you type in your info to find the picture, you could watch a mechanism scan the wall for your picture. Then Your picture would be displayed on the screen with all of your information. Maybe it could even be displayed on a huge screen for all to see.

Of course, thats JUST a thought. Don't take it too seriously.

echoscot

Well... EPCOT is ever changing and I consider LaL to be part of that process. At first there was the three prong and flower entrance, now we have the LaL entrance. Eventually we'll have a new entrance and (hopefully) all will be well.

Since Innoventions is a cluster of things, maybe the tiles could be moved there. They could be displayed on a gigantic wall and you could use a computer to look up your picture. As you type in your info to find the picture, you could watch a mechanism scan the wall for your picture. Then Your picture would be displayed on the screen with all of your information. Maybe it could even be displayed on a huge screen for all to see.

Of course, thats JUST a thought. Don't take it too seriously.

OMG, you have a different opinion than me...therefore I will bash you:hammer:

See isn't this thread just so much fun?:lol:

raven

I think that is a bit unfair, I think it is a flop and I wasn't on any of those committees nor did I have any of that inside information, and neither do you.

You're right, I don't. But the original member that I quoted said it was a "commercial flop." That to me sounds like he was posting some official information. At least you said you "thought" things were a flop and that's much different. No harm though. :wave:

Timmay

Anyone convinced yet?

Convinced of what... that you don't like LAL and you would prefer something different?
Yeah, about two years ago.

Other than that...it's just your opinion, which is fine.

But for those that say LAL is a confusing maze and people have to concentrate just to navigate through it is nothing more than a red herring.

hack2112

So back on topic... Yes, I do believe LAL steals souls. I came in with 5 and left with 3. (Yes I count them. Doesn't everybody?)

kcw

Its the stretch polyester pants, isn't it? :(

That might not have been the best possible photo to make the point. :lol:

haha yes, well they didn't exactly help the cause...

It would not be a difficult task to unscrew all the metal plaques off the stones and reattach them along the outer edges of the entrance plaza,

ooooo.... hate to be the guy who has THAT job!

WDWFigment

The usual hysterical ramblings of the 965 thousandth thread on the subject. If you are going to get all emotional try and stick to the reality rather than opinion dressed as fact.

Heres a news flash, your dying, get used to it move on, despite the false promises of medicine and plastic surgery you will still snuff it. passing a tile of a dead person isnt contagious.

All my family have tiles, some free some paid for. If our posing next to it offends you, Im afraid your under the misapprehension that I would actually give a monkeys.

I'm going to avoid the debate this time, but I've got to say, I like the phrase "give a monkeys". I assume there'd normally be another word after monkey's, but it was omitted due to the nature of this forum?

Sherrybaby

We got our tile about 4 years ago or so. It came free with a package we purchased. I didn't know a lot about the specifics but when we had our picture taken the guy told us they "guarantee" the pictures to stay up for 30 years. How do I know? I wrote it down. I write everything down that has to do with our family because I have a terminal illness and I want my son to be able to read my family journals and remember me and all the things we did together when I'm gone.

I'm sorry that many of you do not like that they look like "tombstones" but so what if a person dies who is on the stone? The family can go there and remember a wonderful trip, at least that's what I hoped for my son as I even have it written in my will to save the $5,000 for a funeral and go to Disney World instead and honor my memory and my most beloved place in the whole world.

Sherry

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom