MGM - Movie Ride

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
i have you know that in 1989 this was state of the art. you are just spoiled seing animatronics Like hopper and jack sparrow. keep in mind though they are in the same model line.

The original Game Boy was also top of the line in 1989... It has gone through many changes and alterations, to the point of having two screens, and n64 3d style graphics.

Also Sigourney Weaver's AA is a mannequin with a turning head and blinking eyes. Not that great.. Her AA needs a major overhaul and the aliens need more movement and faster too!

PeaJay18

If you want to see SCARED, in the Wizard of Oz scene when the witch says "Who killed my sister, was it YOU?' Point at a little kid and say, "No, it was HIM!"

Genius! :lol:

I would agree that the Alien section could use an overhaul and I would love to have the creatures become more animated and threatening...
Maybe the scene could be redone with a better Weaver stand-in that speaks to riders, warning them of the Alien and then the Alien could appear and interact in a manner with the host. Just an idea...................

How cool would it be for an alien to grab the host from above and to hear them scream as they're pulled into an air duct?! :lol: :fork:

Can anyone enlighten me as to how many alien creatures there are and where they appear - it's been a while since I rode GMR and seem to remember one on the right as well as above....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Genius! :lol:

How cool would it be for an alien to grab the host from above and to hear them scream as they're pulled into an air duct?! :lol: :fork:

Can anyone enlighten me as to how many alien creatures there are and where they appear - it's been a while since I rode GMR and seem to remember one on the right as well as above....

There are two creatures in the Alien scene. One on the right hiding in the pipe work and the one from above.

What they need to add it the "crab" egg laying creatures. Have them jumping back and forth over the ride vehicle. Those scared me more than the Alien creature itself. :lol:

Denscott

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061103/people_nm/cruise_mgm_dc_8

With Tom Cruise now in control of UA (part of MGM) will we now see future Cruise movies in the ride?? Scientology related ones? Perhaps Battlefield Earth :eek: A Dawson's Creek scene??? :hurl:

Seriously though, I think War of the Worlds would be awesome but it's under his old Paramount contract

It's been a few years since I've been there...is there a James Bond section to the ride? You could have a great scene with Sean Connery (or Roger Moore...the 2 classics) in the Bond pose

Silence of the Lambs would be great too with you passing in between Clarice and Lector (behind the plastic in his white prison garb)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061103/people_nm/cruise_mgm_dc_8

With Tom Cruise now in control of UA (part of MGM) will we now see future Cruise movies in the ride?? Scientology related ones? Perhaps Battlefield Earth :eek: A Dawson's Creek scene??? :hurl:

Seriously though, I think War of the Worlds would be awesome but it's under his old Paramount contract

It's been a few years since I've been there...is there a James Bond section to the ride? You could have a great scene with Sean Connery (or Roger Moore...the 2 classics) in the Bond pose

Silence of the Lambs would be great too with you passing in between Clarice and Lector (behind the plastic in his white prison garb)

Nope, no 007 scene.

SirGoofy

The original Game Boy was also top of the line in 1989... It has gone through many changes and alterations, to the point of having two screens, and n64 3d style graphics.

Also Sigourney Weaver's AA is a mannequin with a turning head and blinking eyes. Not that great.. Her AA needs a major overhaul and the aliens need more movement and faster too!

Not to be nit picky, but the DS is not a Gameboy. Nintendo has said that over and over and over.:D

But I agree that some of the AAs need updating in the GMR, but the problem is, if you replace one, the rest are going to look even worse.

slappy magoo

i have you know that in 1989 this was state of the art. you are just spoiled seing animatronics Like hopper and jack sparrow. keep in mind though they are in the same model line.

Yeah, the pesky Now has a habit of making Then seem farther and farther away with each passing Next.

What else should we lament? The lack of black and white TVs in the marketplace? 8-Track players? Lindsay Lohan's innocence? :D

Oh, and I've yet to see the Jack Sparrow and Hopper AAs, so I've yet to be spoilt by them.

And to be honest, I wasn't even talking too much about the quality of the AAs. I know the technology's better now than it was then, but a fast-paced-enough attraction can help cover up the flaws in the more-dated technology. The whole pacing of the ride, to me, seems glacial. Enthusiastic CMs help to a degree.

Personally, I'd love to see a total refurb of this ride to be an AA-equivalent of Fantasmic slash Dinosaur! Someone - or - something (Pluto? OSWALD? Roger Rabbit? Gonzo or Animal? Some yet-to-be-created bad guy that HATES movies?) has somehow gotten into the world of movies, and the guests have been entrusted to stop classic scenes from being ruined. So you can see the beginning of the Wizard of Oz scene, only to have it disrupted by this manic or maniacal other character. The tour guide can interact with the disturbing presence. Imagine if it were, say, Animal. The guide goes to grab him, and he jumps out of sight into the next movie, so the tour guide then has to get us over there. In the next scene, Animal can accidentally knock over the tour guide where he almost gets eaten by the Alien.

More interactive, faster-paced, more fun, and while, on its surface, it seems like you're making fun of classic moments from classic movies, really the opposite is true. It's all about preserving classic scenes from classic movies, and instead of just a montage of classic movie moments at the end, there could be a brief but fascinating mini-doc about what film lovers and studios are doing to preserve classic movies intact (though I doubt they'd bring up Song of the South or the more-embarrassing moments from Fantasia or Who Framed Roger Rabbit, though). It brings back a little snippet of education that's been missing from the parks lately, but done in a not-boring way.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not to be nit picky, but the DS is not a Gameboy. Nintendo has said that over and over and over.:D

But I agree that some of the AAs need updating in the GMR, but the problem is, if you replace one, the rest are going to look even worse.

Yep, except for the witch and the alien AAs, its pretty much a ride through a wax museum.

hokielutz

I never found the ride to be too slow, but to each his own. The AA's are a little older, but I still think it's really cool to have them recreated like that. .

Only some of the AA's were part of the previous models... such as Rippley in Alien. The Wicked Witch of the West was supposedly the first of the new line of AA's with the Compliance program added that allowed for faster and smoother movements of the AA's... similar to real human movement. Now this is something we all see in Pirates rehab, Everest, Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, etc

kaos

We were chit chatting with a CM in MGM and he metioned that the Movie Ride was to undergo a refurb. He said most of the ride would be staying the same but, the segment from the movie Alien would be taken out and replaced with a scene from Pirates of the Carribean.

Eh... I only read the first few complaints about this... but it might possibly have something to do with the MGM licensing agreements ending.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No

I don't care what they say, I can play gameboy games on mine so it is an evolution...

Nope. The whole stealing the jewel scene is not connected to "Indiana Jones" in any way. If you listen closly to the audio you wil hear a totally different speil about the scene. Those of us who work at GMR call it Anubis whereas Indiana Jones scene is called Raiders (for obvious reasons). :wave:

I stand corrected...this is from the wdwmagic description of the ride:

" As the ride vehicles roll into the next scene, visitors get to see the type of movie action -- the stuff of serials -- that inspired "Raiders of the Lost Ark." A high priest worships at an enormous altar before a statue of Anubis, god of passage through the underworld. The glow of a brilliant scarab mounted on the idol beckons the evil-doer. The villains of Saturday serials couldn't resist such riches. It's no different here, and when the gods are angered by such thievery, they strike back with fury. In a land of the mummies and curses, such fury can be terrifying."

:hammer::D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom