MGM - Movie Ride

slappy magoo

Wow, I never realized how many loyal fans GMR had.

Frankly, I've never enjoyed it. Even almost-fell-asleep in it once. Maybe I always got a bad tour guide, but I just find the whole attraction too darn slow. I know they want you to appreciate the attention to detail, but honestly, if they sped up the attraction, then instead of paying attention to detail, you'd have just enough time to savor the setting without noticing the imperfections, the stiffer AAs, the lackluster sound, etc. And the queing area, while great for getting out of the hot sun, becomes almost as interminable as IASW if you're on lone long enough to have the film loop start again and again.

I hope they dont replace the alien scene with pirates of the caribbean. IT ALREADY HAS ITS OWN RIDE!!!!

why not put a classic disney movie like 20,000 leagues under the sea since they took the last remaining pieces of it out of the MK.

aside from the hidden nautilus in Poohs house...

LuLaSue

Original Poster
I hope they dont replace the alien scene with pirates of the caribbean. IT ALREADY HAS ITS OWN RIDE!!!!

why not put a classic disney movie like 20,000 leagues under the sea since they took the last remaining pieces of it out of the MK.

aside from the hidden nautilus in Poohs house...
Awesome Idea:D

DDuckFan130

Frankly, I've never enjoyed it. Even almost-fell-asleep in it once. Maybe I always got a bad tour guide, but I just find the whole attraction too darn slow. I know they want you to appreciate the attention to detail, but honestly, if they sped up the attraction, then instead of paying attention to detail, you'd have just enough time to savor the setting without noticing the imperfections, the stiffer AAs, the lackluster sound, etc. And the queing area, while great for getting out of the hot sun, becomes almost as interminable as IASW if you're on lone long enough to have the film loop start again and again.
I have fallen asleep on the ride too :lookaroun But maybe because I was too tired. We have had really good CM's in the past but it's hard to get excited when the audience doesn't get excited so I give up :lol:

To be honest, I always go on this ride for some reason or another. My favorite parts of the ride are the montage at the end and for biased reasons, the Gene Kelly part :lookaroun

Kinda indifferent about these rumors so whatever :lol:

DisneyMusician2

why dont they just cut the crappy animatronic scenes and go straight to a longer movie snipit piece at the end. They could then use the building for something worth while and save the hastle for the CM who has to to act to a largely uninterested and unapreceative audience.
I LOVE the AA's in Disney attractions, and I wish they would use more of them in their newer stuff. Why lose a personal element? I like that things are a little different every time you go, good or bad. It's what keeps something like that fresh and interesting.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I like that things are a little different every time you go, good or bad. It's what keeps something like that fresh and interesting.

Like what, its the same every time, the only thing that varies is the CMs enthusiasm ( or lack of it) and the "so what big deal" attitude of the ride patrons.

DisneyMusician2

So are most other attractions, and we still keep those around. And I like a live guide for stuff. If they suck, it would be the same as a tape anyway, and if they're fun you get a bonus.

There is no "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom sketch." You may be referring to the scene with the greedy mobster/cowboy going for the jewel, but that's not related to Indy...except that it's near the Indy and Sallah picking up the Ark scene from "Raiders" (no bad acting in that, though; just a lot of heavy lifting!). But if it is the "Halt, unbeliever!" scene you're referring to, I'd probably have to agree with you most of the time. I love The Great Movie Ride (best attraction in the Studios, in my opinion), but the transformation of the "Halt, unbeliever!" guy into the original driver never works properly, as the fog never builds up fast enough to hide the person taking their cloak off. So, you're stuck watching a person removing a cloak, then screaming "Ta-da!" just as the smoke gets strong enough to envelope them. If only they could figure out the timing on that...
If I were to replace anything, I'd probably do something about either that scene (and just not change hosts at any point in the attraction), or I'd do something with that lame "Fantasia" scene. Every other scene is filled with great audio-animatronics and then we get to Mickey Mouse, who is just his usual cel-animated self. Audio-animatronic Mickeys already exist. How hard would it be to put one in? Maybe take it a step further and put in a number of Disney characters. A scene from Roger Rabbit, perhaps? There's a great mix of classic and new.
As for the "Alien" scene, it might be cool to update it to the sequel "Aliens." More characters, more aliens, more danger!
And then if I were to really have my say, I might request audio-animatronics be alternated with the film clips in the last scene too. I realize, though, that the last few years have seen a decline in the number of AAs in the Parks, but this attraction could always use more.

Umm...that "stealing the jewel" scene is from Temple of Doom...that whole section of the ride is a tribute to the Indy Jones Movies... :brick:

Mecha Figment

i have you know that in 1989 this was state of the art. you are just spoiled seing animatronics Like hopper and jack sparrow. keep in mind though they are in the same model line.

DisneyMusician2

I never found the ride to be too slow, but to each his own. The AA's are a little older, but I still think it's really cool to have them recreated like that. As long as you've actually seen the films and you know what they are. If you aren't really familiar with the movies and the classics of Hollywood, it really must be a bore.

Slipknot

I love The Great Movie Ride (best attraction in the Studios, in my opinion), but the transformation of the "Halt, unbeliever!" guy into the original driver never works properly, as the fog never builds up fast enough to hide the person taking their cloak off. So, you're stuck watching a person removing a cloak, then screaming "Ta-da!" just as the smoke gets strong enough to envelope them. If only they could figure out the timing on that...

The smoke is there to envelope the gangster/bandit, not to hide the tour guides taking the cloak and hat off. Managers have reprimanded many tour guides who were not character trained who have gotten in the smoke. The point where the smoke dissapears is the time we say "ta-da." :wave:

imagineer boy

I agree with what many others have said here. If they're going to change a scene, change the lame Tarzan scene, not the cool Alien scene.

Slipknot

lulabell1972 said:
Yes it was a CM from the GMR. We were having pleasant conversation before the park opened on October 31st.

Do you happen to remember their name?

VillanovaBlue said:
Umm...that "stealing the jewel" scene is from Temple of Doom...that whole section of the ride is a tribute to the Indy Jones Movies...

Nope. The whole stealing the jewel scene is not connected to "Indiana Jones" in any way. If you listen closly to the audio you wil hear a totally different speil about the scene. Those of us who work at GMR call it Anubis whereas Indiana Jones scene is called Raiders (for obvious reasons). :wave:

CThaddeus

The smoke is there to envelope the gangster/bandit, not to hide the tour guides taking the cloak and hat off. Managers have reprimanded many tour guides who were not character trained who have gotten in the smoke. The point where the smoke dissapears is the time we say "ta-da." :wave:

Interesting. I had always thought it was to hide not only the change of the gangster/bandit to the skeleton, but the transformation of the cloaked figure to the tour guide. Thank you for correcting me on that (and thank you for backing me up on the Raiders/not Raiders thing). So the audience is really supposed to see the guide take the cloak off? It always seems like they're trying to be secretive about it when they do it, but those of us in the front seats can still see them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom