MGM - Movie Ride

socalkdg

The alien himself makes no impact -- the first time I rode with my wife, I think she missed him altogether. Compared to how lively most of the other scenes are, it just feels like something is missing. So they were probably forced to tone down the overall sense of foreboding, which is what makes the Alien film what it is.
Really? Everytime I've been on the ride I always see some people get scared as the Alien comes down out of the ceiling. I always cover up my daughter's eyes as well. I think its very well done.

I'd just like to see all the existing sets fixed up and make sure they are all operational. Shouldn't the first scene with all the female dancers have the actually dancing?

darthjohnny

I think it is an interesting idea, but I seriously doubt they would do that.

I couldn't begin how to think of how they would change the confined space area into something like a vast seas, although they could make it like a pirate ship.

But I think this is just a rumor. They haven't really changed any scene since the GMR opened. And why would they change that one particular scene? I will have to see more evidence before I could get more excited. :)

Potter

Gee. Maybe this is where we will finally see Harry Potter appear. They can take out Tarzan or Alien and introduce Hogwarts. I'm sure JK Rowling and Jim Hill would love that one. Maybe have Dumbledore appear instead of the Wicked Witch in the OZ scene. That animatronic stinks anyway. One of the worst on property. (Wink Wink Nod Nod) [Thread explosion in 3.....2.....1.....]

bigwoowoo248

If they change anything, they might as well just eliminate the whole ride. The ride is perfect as is and one of my favorite hot-day-want-to-cool-off rides in all of disney. They already screwed up POTC with the new addition. "The best place for pirates is tom sawyer island." I know alot of people like it, but maybe with a pirate theme it would be cooler. (idea previously posted earlier in the year) Theres my two cents

donald23

I seriously doubt they would take Alien out. I hate rumors, personally. Because look at what they do? GMR is a truly classic Disney ride, especially since the Chinese Theater was pretty much the icon of MGM before the sorcerer hat. I would hate to see anything done to this amazing attraction.

jedimaster1227

He said most of the ride would be staying the same but, the segment from the movie Alien would be taken out and replaced with a scene from Pirates of the Carribean.

Nope. They aren't adding anything Pirates related other than the clip in the finale film (but that has been there for over a year). If they are changing any scenes, which at the moment I have heard nothing about, then they will have to find something that isn't already being used in another attraction within any of the rest of the WDW parks.

Choya

Really? Everytime I've been on the ride I always see some people get scared as the Alien comes down out of the ceiling. I always cover up my daughter's eyes as well. I think its very well done.

If you want to see SCARED, in the Wizard of Oz scene when the witch says "Who killed my sister, was it YOU?' Point at a little kid and say, "No, it was HIM!"
You need to be in the front vehicle close to the CM (or CP) for best effect. My daughter is 20 now and still remembers when I did that to her 11 years ago. You probably want to choose someone you know. :)

On another note, I think the CMs/CPs on GMR are some of the best! I've had some really great ones including a grandmother type cowgirl that was just as good as some of the much younger ones. If you work there, keep up the good work. (and leave Alien alone)

1disneydood

Take out the scene with the most potential? They should turn the volume up in that scene, more smoke, dim the lights, and add a strobe. :goodnevil

That'll do it good. ;)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Take out the scene with the most potential? They should turn the volume up in that scene, more smoke, dim the lights, and add a strobe. :goodnevil

That'll do it good. ;)

They should also have the creature spew acidic saliva on everyone....you know, to make it more extreme and thrilling...:lol:

CThaddeus

Leave Alien in but take out the Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom sketch because that is the worst acting of the entire ride. Plus there is enough Indianna Jones already at MGM. Since they have rope there for the Cast member swing across that would be great place for them to swing from a pirate ship to another pirate ship if they put in POTC.

There is no "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom sketch." You may be referring to the scene with the greedy mobster/cowboy going for the jewel, but that's not related to Indy...except that it's near the Indy and Sallah picking up the Ark scene from "Raiders" (no bad acting in that, though; just a lot of heavy lifting!). But if it is the "Halt, unbeliever!" scene you're referring to, I'd probably have to agree with you most of the time. I love The Great Movie Ride (best attraction in the Studios, in my opinion), but the transformation of the "Halt, unbeliever!" guy into the original driver never works properly, as the fog never builds up fast enough to hide the person taking their cloak off. So, you're stuck watching a person removing a cloak, then screaming "Ta-da!" just as the smoke gets strong enough to envelope them. If only they could figure out the timing on that...
If I were to replace anything, I'd probably do something about either that scene (and just not change hosts at any point in the attraction), or I'd do something with that lame "Fantasia" scene. Every other scene is filled with great audio-animatronics and then we get to Mickey Mouse, who is just his usual cel-animated self. Audio-animatronic Mickeys already exist. How hard would it be to put one in? Maybe take it a step further and put in a number of Disney characters. A scene from Roger Rabbit, perhaps? There's a great mix of classic and new.
As for the "Alien" scene, it might be cool to update it to the sequel "Aliens." More characters, more aliens, more danger!
And then if I were to really have my say, I might request audio-animatronics be alternated with the film clips in the last scene too. I realize, though, that the last few years have seen a decline in the number of AAs in the Parks, but this attraction could always use more.

meanstreak82

They should also have the creature spew acidic saliva on everyone....you know, to make it more extreme and thrilling...:lol:

...or hydraulic fluid... no wait, that's Stitch.

If anything I would like them to return to the old script that CMs used to use. The new(er) one is just hokey. "Now who can tell me what movie this is?" Personally I didn't see anything wrong with the old one, but that's just me.

Speaking of the film at the end, I always thought that (since it was kind of sorted by genre) that they should have a sports movie section. Always wondered why Rocky wasn't one of the clips at the end (esp since it's an MGM/UA release). We all know how Disney loves the good ol inspirational sports movie (ie Titans, Rookie, Invincible, etc)...

LuLaSue

Original Poster
Interesting. Were you talking with a CM who works at GMR or not, because I work there and haven't heard that at all.

Yes it was a CM from the GMR. We were having pleasant conversation before the park opened on October 31st.

and thanks DOOP!!:D

mikesoccer40

I would agree that the Alien section could use an overhaul and I would love to have the creatures become more animated and threatening, but you do run into the problem previously stated of children riding and becoming scared. Disney must walk a fine line here. The ride is dedicated to older classics and because of that is very popular with a wide age group, some of the older crowd and a majority of the very youngest crowd would not react very well to a more interactive version of Alien.

Maybe the scene could be redone with a better Weaver stand-in that speaks to riders, warning them of the Alien and then the Alien could appear and interact in a manner with the host. Just an idea...................

CelticRose

Well, sci fi is my favorite genra of movie, and Alien scared the crap out of me when I was younger. :lol:

Ditto, That movie scared me, please any imagineers that are reading this, pleaassssssssseeeeeeeee do not remove the Alien Scene, that is one of the best parts of the ride. Perhaps they can make it longer and add whatever else they want, just don't remove the Alien. :cry:

184 days and we will be there!!!! Finally I am under 200 days:sohappy:

sleepybear

This is kind of off-topic, but when I was there Oct. 29, the ride broke down when we were in the Indiana Jones section and we had to walk our way through the rest of the ride. Some of those sets seem huge when you're walking through them.

Unfortunately, when we walked through the Wizard of Oz scene, none of the munchkins were out. Nor was the witch and Dorothy and her crew. Was still kind of neat strolling through Munchkinland, but it would have been cooler had there been animatronics around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom