News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Casper Gutman

I love boat rides. I have no issue with three boat rides in AL because they are each different and each suited to the subject matter.

It’s fair to raise questions about a development process that, after designing a big clump of trackless rides, suddenly designs a big clump of boat rides. What’s causing the lack of variety?

In the interest of being evenhanded, I’ll say it’s better then Uni’s clump o’ coasters and abject fear of family-friendly dark rides.

lazyboy97o

I get what you're saying. But I wonder if Disney realizes that all their trackless systems shutdown several times a day for hats and ears dropping in the path of the vehicles and they want to move back to a more reliable system?
There are reliable not-true trackless (guidewire) systems out there, Disney just doesn’t want to use them.

I had the same thought. This would work just fine. It would still raise valid questions about WHY the ride type was chosen, but if the ride was strong and unique and played to the strengths of the IP, the question would be academic.
The reason seems to be pure capacity power.

Casper Gutman

Exactly! Applaud the Imagineers for doing something original with the selected IP. Some of these posts are exhausting, you can't win
I mean, it’s pretty clear how to “win” (not that Disney cares about “winning” a message board). Design good attractions that fit the theme of the park and land. If you use an IP, make sure the attraction ALSO makes strong use of the IP.

Again, this is all premature. The overall plans look good. If Disney can find a way to marry a boat ride to the strengths of the Encanto IP (rather than just sticking an ill-fitting IP on a ride as with GotG), awesome!

wedenterprises

You mean, a carousel with mismatched Disney animal IPs isn't going into Tropical Americas?😲 I'm shocked lol...but in all seriousness, those plans sound solid! Unfortunate that we are gonna lose Dinosaurs from the park, but Tropical Americas will compliment the other lands in the park really nicely.
This is what I'm most excited for. I'm so glad there's thought behind how the land compliments Asia and Africa...and Discovery Island for that matter.

It’s interesting because a trackless ride or Omniomover makes more sense for an Encanto ride but I’ll likely enjoy a boat ride more.
Same. I love boat rides, I am overjoyed at all of the boat ride rumours. Give me all the boats! Give me all the water smells!

I'm glad this won't be trackless. Trackless rides are strange, most scenes ignore the fact that you see too much of a shiny flat floor when you're supposed to be somewhere else. When the floor makes sense to the story then it's amazing (the city street scene in MMRR for example is amazing.)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes on the boat ride. ✅

It would seem WDI is pleased with Fantasy Springs and wants to build boat rides everywhere.

I was purposely vague on conveyance system since I had only ever heard “dark ride”. ✅ Water dark rides are, of course, a thing for Disney.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Encanto start before Indy since Encanto will take longer and they could use the Dino capacity as long as it’s available. But, I don’t believe the plan is to finish Encanto before beginning Indy.
You get check marks, too!

mickEblu

This is what I'm most excited for. I'm so glad there's thought behind how the land compliments Asia and Africa...and Discovery Island for that matter.

Same. I love boat rides, I am overjoyed at all of the boat ride rumours. Give me all the boats! Give me all the water smells!

I'm glad this won't be trackless. Trackless rides are strange, most scenes ignore the fact that you see too much of a shiny flat floor when you're supposed to be somewhere else. When the floor makes sense to the story then it's amazing (the city street scene in MMRR for example is amazing.)

Trackless rides are gamble as they can easily end up feeling like an empty warehouse. I agree the city might be the best ride on MMRR but I think it has more to do with the intimate space, good staging, frantic energy and moving Pete figure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Coco and Encanto take place on different continents.

Both can be considered part of the Tropical Americas.

Coco takes place in an arid, not tropical area, doesn’t it?

That’s my biggest area of confusion. While the Yucatán peninsula does enjoy tropical conditions (though not tropical rainforest), the region where Coco is set is does not have a tropical climate. Maybe they just mean “south of the Tropic of Cancer is good enough.”

"Tropical Americas" covers Northern, Central, and South America. They're all "Americas."

Note that the phrase does not contain "rain forest" nor "jungle."

"Tropical" means "between the latitudes of the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

In the "Tropical Zone" you can have rain forests and you can have deserts (e.g., the Sahara). Some area have a wet season, and a dry season.

Here are Tropical rain forests from all the way from the Equator to the Tropic of Cancer....

1713809173820.png

Coco takes place in Santa Cecilia and looks like this....

1713809602580.png

Note the forests in the background. It was based on this town...

1713809662604.png

I'm sure the animators peeled back a lot of the trees so we can see the town and architecture.

I think the confusion comes from Disney constantly theming DAK to a tropical rain forest/jungle most places.

Coco is in Tropical Americas. That doesn't mean "rain forest."

In fact, Encanto doesn't seem to be in a place that qualifies as "rain forest" either.

ToTBellHop

"Tropical Americas" covers Northern, Central, and South America. They're all "Americas."

Note that the phrase does not contain "rain forest" nor "jungle."

"Tropical" means "between the latitudes of the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

In the "Tropical Zone" you can have rain forests and you can have deserts (e.g., the Sahara). Some area have a wet season, and a dry season.

Here are Tropical rain forests from all the way from the Equator to the Tropic of Cancer....

View attachment 780940

Coco takes place in Santa Cecilia and looks like this....

View attachment 780952

Note the forests in the background. It was based on this town...

View attachment 780953

I'm sure the animators peeled back a lot of the trees so we can see the town and architecture.

I think the confusion comes from Disney constantly theming DAK to a tropical rain forest/jungle most places.

Coco is in Tropical Americas. That doesn't mean "rain forest."

In fact, Encanto doesn't seem to be in a place that qualifies as "rain forest" either.
Nor does Indy!

Won‘t keep them from theming it with so much vegetation that it looks like a rainforest, anyway!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom