News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

ToTBellHop

It was always meant to be multicontinental. They would’ve just called the area South America otherwise. The IJ attraction seems to be based in the Yucatec Maya regions of Mexico, so even without Coco, there was going to be a Mexican element. That said, Coco itself takes place too far north for me to consider it all that tropical, so hopefully it’s just for art inspiration as the alebrije style casts a wider net than anything narratively to do with Coco.
That’s my biggest area of confusion. While the Yucatán peninsula does enjoy tropical conditions (though not tropical rainforest), the region where Coco is set is does not have a tropical climate. Maybe they just mean “south of the Tropic of Cancer is good enough.”

Suspirian

The plans are genuinely exciting and I feel churlish for finding fault but… man, I don’t understand a water ride for Encanto. After going trackless crazy for a decade, NOW Disney backs off the system when it has an IP custom made for a new Mystic Manor? An IP with no significant water element? Also, the Coco carousel seems really out of place - South America and Mexico are pretty darn different in every conceivable way and Coco is, as we all know, slated for another park. Why not do something with Up or just extend the Encanto theme?

It kinda feels like management is ready to invest but Imagineering is still kinda broken. The project has some of that “outsmarting themselves” feeling that we see at Tiana’s.
I feel like if anything the Encanto ride potentially being a boat ride should excite people and placate some of the feelings about the ride not having anything to do with animals. Its likely that if it was a mystic manor type dark ride that it would just be a tour of the house which many here feared wouldn't make sense within the context of the park. The left field ride system kinda feels like the attraction is going in a different direction to accommodate DAK's theme.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I am struggling to picture a water ride in the world of Encanto at DAK that doesn’t quickly leave La Casa Madrigal to enter the one rainforest setting with waterfalls and animals.
Queue part 1 is the open-air portion of the Casita interior surrounding the enclosed courtyard. Playful “expressions” from Casita occur throughout for entertainment, like clacking musical tiles and shingles, fluttering shutters, etc. Queue part 2 with the load station is behind Antonio’s door. A stream can be worked into the environment seamlessly. The ride takes place throughout his room. Maybe not exactly what people would want from Encanto given the perfect fit of Mystic Manor, but it could work pretty easily even within the confines of Casa Madrigal. Maybe it’s a complete “open house”, and the queue snakes through parts of Isabella and Bruno’s rooms as well. Kind of a shoved together walkthrough and ride (in one of the rooms).

Casper Gutman

Queue part 1 is the open-air portion of the Casita interior surrounding the enclosed courtyard. Playful “expressions” from Casita occur throughout for entertainment, like clacking musical tiles and shingles, fluttering shutters, etc. Queue part 2 with the load station is behind Antonio’s door. A stream can be worked into the environment seamlessly. The ride takes place throughout his room. Maybe not exactly what people would want from Encanto given the perfect fit of Mystic Manor, but it could work pretty easily even within the confines of Casa Madrigal. Maybe it’s a complete “open house”, and the queue snakes through parts of Isabella and Bruno’s rooms as well. Kind of a shoved together walkthrough and ride (in one of the rooms).
A boat ride through Antonio’s room is going to struggle a great deal not to feel generic. There is no reason a ride focused on Antonio’s animals would have to be confined to that space - “Oh no! Antonio’s animals are all over the house! Help us find them!” That said, the first priority is the best ride possible. If the IP interferes with the ability to build the best ride possible and adhere to the theme of the park, the problem is the IP. But again, in this case the IP can fit easily.

In the Parks
No
Seems like a waste to represent the Casita only in the queue of an Encanto attraction. It really is tailormade for the trackless system, as saturated as the resort is with those types of ride already.

ToTBellHop

A boat ride through Antonio’s room is going to struggle a great deal not to feel generic. There is no reason a ride focused on Antonio’s animals would have to be confined to that space - “Oh no! Antonio’s animals are all over the house! Help us find them!” That said, the first priority is the best ride possible. If the IP interferes with the ability to build the best ride possible and adhere to the theme of the park, the problem is the IP. But again, in this case the IP can fit easily.
We can’t want a ride that fits into DAK but also want a book report ride about a movie that doesn’t involve animals. They’re trying to make it fit with an original story.

I am more curious to find out the story. I’m hoping for more complexity than TBA has.

It feels like some here would rather have a fourth Magic Kingdom at WDW. I applaud them for trying to make a new DAK land that meets Bob’s IP mandate while also aligning with the park’s vision. That’s a hard needle to thread. Some of the effects planned for Indy sound downright spectacular.

DisneyRoy

The plans are genuinely exciting and I feel churlish for finding fault but… man, I don’t understand a water ride for Encanto. After going trackless crazy for a decade, NOW Disney backs off the system when it has an IP custom made for a new Mystic Manor? An IP with no significant water element? Also, the Coco carousel seems really out of place - South America and Mexico are pretty darn different in every conceivable way and Coco is, as we all know, slated for another park. Why not do something with Up or just extend the Encanto theme?

It kinda feels like management is ready to invest but Imagineering is still kinda broken. The project has some of that “outsmarting themselves” feeling that we see at Tiana’s.
I get what you're saying. But I wonder if Disney realizes that all their trackless systems shutdown several times a day for hats and ears dropping in the path of the vehicles and they want to move back to a more reliable system?

James Alucobond

We don’t really know how Casita works, so they can do whatever. It could produce direct doorways to other characters’ rooms partway along the ride path, allowing the boat and the water it’s floating on to spill into their spaces. I would argue that unless they do a plot about Casita’s magic flickering out again (which would naturally be less animal-centric), the main rooms of the house are not that interesting. The character rooms are.

In the Parks
No
We can’t want a ride that fits into DAK but also want a book report ride about a movie that doesn’t involve animals. They’re trying to make it fit with an original story.

I am more curious to find out the story. I’m hoping for more complexity than TBA has.
See, this is the problem with prioritizing IP usage over doing what makes the most sense for the park. They have to jump through these hoops to even make it fit. I would so much rather we have an Amazonian flume ride with no-IP connection. But it will never happen.

In the Parks
No
We don’t really know how Casita works, so they can do whatever. It could produce direct doorways to other characters’ rooms partway along the ride path, allowing the boat and the water it’s floating on to spill into their spaces. I would argue that unless they do a plot about Casita’s magic flickering out again (which would naturally be less animal-centric), the main rooms of the house are not that interesting. The character rooms are.
OH NO! The Casita is flooded! Now the animals are all over the house! Help Antonio round them up before they all drown!

Casper Gutman

It feels like some here would rather have a fourth Magic Kingdom at WDW. I applaud them for trying to make a new DAK land that meets Bob’s IP mandate while also aligning with the park’s vision. That’s a hard needle to thread. Some of the effects planned for Indy sound downright spectacular.
No one here called for a “book report ride” (although I’ve always found complaints about such rides tremendously overblown) and no one wants a “fourth Magic Kingdom” except, perhaps, Iger.

Again, the new area overall sounds great.

ToTBellHop

Is it possible this could be a boat ride that starts indoors such as in the casita and then goes outdoors through actual tropical jungles etc? I know its stated dark ride, but maybe it could be inside and outside?
If there’s rainforest, I imagine it will be manufactured inside a building. A key requirement for the new rides is that they be able to operate in thunderstorms and (besides the carousel) be climate controlled. DAK ratings suffer in the summer. No surprise there.

Casper Gutman

OH NO! The Casita is flooded! Now the animals are all over the house! Help Antonio round them up before they all drown!
I had the same thought. This would work just fine. It would still raise valid questions about WHY the ride type was chosen, but if the ride was strong and unique and played to the strengths of the IP, the question would be academic.

discos

Exactly! Applaud the Imagineers for doing something original with the selected IP. Some of these posts are exhausting, you can't win

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom