News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Incomudro

Everyone has their own opinion, but the "hub" of Epcot has never really looked good until now (including opening day). Sure, it would have been better with their original plans... but it looks nice. Doesn't justify how long it took, but I'm happy to just move along and hope Figment gets worked on soon.
I think it looks great with the exception of the planter.
I mean... The central focal point, and it is truly designed as a central focal point with the lights around it and everything - should be more.
It should be a beautiful water feature.

Bocabear

That looks much better now that the sun's out...
I don't know though.... Well everything looks better on a fair day, but this still (to me) looks like a bus station, or the ticket booths at Kennedy Space Center... Maybe when they completely finish it, it will look better....

Mickeynerd17

We're not talking about that. The millennium hub was messy and missing trees.

THIS is what we're talking about:

th-1863350990.jpg
vlcsnap-00032-2152531124.png

Clean, orderly pathways with plenty of green space, trees, and a kinetic water feature that functionally make sense with the surrounding architecture.

I don't understand why this design was "bad."

Incomudro

View attachment 779665View attachment 779664

Clean, orderly pathways with plenty of green space, trees, and a kinetic water feature that functionally make sense with the surrounding architecture.

The fountain and water are excellent.
Otherwise I prefer the new hub.
If only we could have both.

J4546

that looks good but as well but I also like the new currrent area as well

Epcot81Fan

It’s almost like these defenders of these incredibly cheap, bland, and amateurish architectural designs have never been outside of Kissimmee.

Just walk through Vegas and you’ll see how amateurish and pathetically behind the curve Disney is in both architecture and design.

You can post a hundred of these photos that all make Disney look absolutely pathetic.

But, but, those are public spaces in entertainment concepts built by American public companies so that’s not a fair comparison!!! Or something!!!

IMG_9269.jpeg
IMG_9268.jpeg
IMG_9267.jpeg
IMG_9271.jpeg

MagicHappens1971

While I don't agree with the comparisons of Epcot to multi-billion dollar airports as I just don't think it is a sound comparison, have we failed to mention that the redo of the hub probably cost over $500M? If Guardians cost that much, I would imagine the hub redo (Connections, Creations, Communicore Hall and the actual central hub) cost probably close to that, if not more.

I think what we have is an improvement over what was there before, but overall think it could've had some more "grandeur"

pigglewiggle

It’s almost like these defenders of these incredibly cheap, bland, and amateurish architectural designs have never been outside of Kissimmee.

Just walk through Vegas and you’ll see how amateurish and pathetically behind the curve Disney is in both architecture and design.

You can post a hundred of these photos that all make Disney look absolutely pathetic.

But, but, those are public spaces in entertainment concepts built by American public companies so that’s not a fair comparison!!! Or something!!!

View attachment 779677View attachment 779678View attachment 779680View attachment 779681

Those are gaudy and absolutely hideous.

Only my humble opinion of course.

Epcot81Fan

Those are gaudy and absolutely hideous.

Only my humble opinion of course.
Well, here’s the good news, in Vegas, where the world’s best architects and interior designers work there are countless styles and tastes to choose from, which is of course the point, not these exact samples.

But hey, if this is absolutely remarkable to you, God bless.

IMG_9273.jpeg

Bocabear

It is what happened next that created the "Bad"... Epcot was extremely popular and I think they wanted to open it up for for crowd control I am guessing....and they basically opened it WAY UP and paved over the green spaces, filled in the waterway and created the giant open plaza they then had to cover with the spiderwebbing of cables and shade sails.... If it had been restored to this version we would have lots of green but in a more planned modern way....Also lots of water....

pigglewiggle

Well, here’s the good news, in Vegas, where the world’s best architects and interior designers work there are countless styles and tastes to choose from, which is of course the point, not these exact samples.

But hey, if this is absolutely remarkable to you, God bless.

View attachment 779735

I'm not sure if you know this, but you posted this already.

DreamfinderGuy

While I don't agree with the comparisons of Epcot to multi-billion dollar airports as I just don't think it is a sound comparison, have we failed to mention that the redo of the hub probably cost over $500M? If Guardians cost that much, I would imagine the hub redo (Connections, Creations, Communicore Hall and the actual central hub) cost probably close to that, if not more.

I think what we have is an improvement over what was there before, but overall think it could've had some more "grandeur"
The hub definitely did not cost anywhere close to that. Significantly more went into Guardians and it wasn't over $500M. Other than rehabbing CommuniCore East and putting up Plaza/Hall, this entire project was removing some old pavement and installing some new pavement. The lights and the Walt statue were likely the most expensive elements in the whole thing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I guess Disney must have put this random image of some closed vending carts and a trash can on the cover of the Epcot guide maps or something?

Otherwise, it would almost seem like the poster is not posting in good faith 🤔
He wants us to see how WDW didn't put kiosks in a thruway creating a pinch point, but instead, created it's own space for them. Not only that, he wants to commend WDW for all that seating. He's looking forward the seasonal occupants of those kiosks.

lazyboy97o

The hub definitely did not cost anywhere close to that. Significantly more went into Guardians and it wasn't over $500M. Other than rehabbing CommuniCore East and putting up Plaza/Hall, this entire project was removing some old pavement and installing some new pavement. The lights and the Walt statue were likely the most expensive elements in the whole thing.
You think a statue costs more than a building?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom