News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Casper Gutman

The Epcot redesign is basically the physical manifestation of Disney's recent history of management dysfunction. You could write a book about what's gone wrong at the executive level of Disney with each chapter beginning with a description of some aspect of the makeover - hamhanded reliance on IP (Moana), succession chaos (the big table), unwise cost cutting (planters instead of fountains), inability to differentiate the parks and clearly redefine EPCOT's mission (GotG), laughably timid boardroom decision-by-committee (the new Future World "lands"), cynical leveraging of nostalgia (the decaying Spaceship Earth skin aesthetic), etc.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is that the one in the site plan that sits along the path to World Nature / The Land or one of the ones at CommuniCore Plaza?

1713487701692.png

Centauri Space Station

I really love the chilled vibes of World Celebration, but I'm absolutely gutted that the floor lighting in the hub is already completely screwed. It didn't work fully on opening night, and now doesn't work at all. Forget fixing the yeti, I really think these need to be sorted.
What do you mean it doesn’t work at all? It still lights up even if it’s not all lit.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don’t honestly have the patience to wade through all of these absolutely remarkable posts, so can someone tell me if they have fixed the color changing lights around the central planter?

Which ones?

cutting their losses once the pandemic struck and they found themselves with the centre of the park already demolished.

I think this is exactly what happened.

Been in four times in the last two weeks and no floor lights at all.

I was there last night and saw some floor lights. Granted, there may be some not working that I didn't notice as this past week was the first time I saw the new spine.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A few photos from today. The wall is down by the old bypass/new Cast Member entrance near the restrooms, what appears to be new panels/doors near CommuniCore Plaza, the temporary boxes around the light poles on the bridge to the Odyssey Pavilion have been removed and a peak at one of the entrances to CommuniCore Hall.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I still can't get used to the area names, World Discovery, World whatever the others are called. Also 3 small sections are a bit too small to be "Worlds" IMO

I would have preferred if the whole front area was renamed to Discovery World or something if they aren't keeping the "Future" identity. I doubt if the average tourist can figure it out either.

Epcot81Fan

I still can't get used to the area names, World Discovery, World whatever the others are called. Also 3 small sections are a bit too small to be "Worlds" IMO

I would have preferred if the whole front area was renamed to Discovery World or something if they aren't keeping the "Future" identity. I doubt if the average tourist can figure it out either.
“World whatever”

- 2024 WDI

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What is it with this project and misaligned triangles?
First of all, there are no misaligned triangles.

There are clear rows of triangles. The rows are straight and parallel and 'square.'

Each row has triangles that alternate pointing up, down, up, down, etc...

Randomly, a flat triangle is replaced by a 3D triangle 'tent.'

Along one wall, if the up triangle is replaced by a 3D tent, the opening is pointing down. And if the down triangle is replaced by a 3D tent, the opening is facing to the viewer's left.

As the structure tends toward one end, it becomes more open with missing flat triangles. As the structure tends toward the other end with solid walls, there are fewer and fewer missing triangles.

Other walls have different but similar rules.

Nothing is misaligned.

Horizonsfan

First of all, there are no misaligned triangles.

There are clear rows of triangles. The rows are straight and parallel and 'square.'

Each row has triangles that alternate pointing up, down, up, down, etc...

Randomly, a flat triangle is replaced by a 3D triangle 'tent.'

Along one wall, if the up triangle is replaced by a 3D tent, the opening is pointing down. And if the down triangle is replaced by a 3D tent, the opening is facing to the viewer's left.

As the structure tends toward one end, it becomes more open with missing flat triangles. As the structure tends toward the other end with solid walls, there are fewer and fewer missing triangles.

Other walls have different but similar rules.

Nothing is misaligned.
I literally said I’m talking about the gate and AV towers, not the walls.:
First the A/V towers for the concert area and now the gate.
I understand the concept of the main structure’s walls. It’s not particularly mysterious.

Look at the gate installed. The triangle is getting cut off arbitrarily from the edge of the gate.

IMG_6196.jpeg

It’s the same thing with the patterning on the AV tower.

IMG_6197.jpeg

Either skew the triangles accordingly to the angle of the overall element or lean harder into the juxtaposition. As is, it reads as the designer gave this to a third party and washed their hands of it.

The overall building is inoffensive, but these elements miss the mark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom