News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Vegas Disney Fan

What's this referencing? The HP land at Epic Universe?
Has to be Fantastic Beasts, and I’d agree it would be a horrible choice… for their first Harry Potter land, but as the third HP land I think it’ll work out ok.

Had Disney given us a land based on Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, etc first, and THEN gave us a land based on the sequel characters I don’t think they’d have gotten nearly as much criticism, instead they ignored the obvious fan favorite and gave us an unknown land no one was really begging for.

Universal giving us Magical Beasts before Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley would have made no sense… just like Galaxies edge before the obvious fan favorite made no sense.

James Alucobond

Had Disney given us a land based on Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, etc first, and THEN gave us a land based on the sequel characters I don’t think they’d have gotten nearly as much criticism, instead they ignored the obvious fan favorite and gave us an unknown land no one was really begging for.

Universal giving us Magical Beasts before Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley would have made no sense… just like Galaxies edge before the obvious fan favorite made no sense.
There is no iconic OG Starwarsland to build, though. Whatever you would've gotten would have been some variation of the cassette futurism spaceport we have now, just with different plots on the rides and different roaming characters. Yes, it's a massive missed opportunity in terms of meet and greets and attraction content, but you're not lacking a Hogsmeade because there is no Hogsmeade for the franchise.

Vegas Disney Fan

There is no iconic OG Starwarsland to build, though. Whatever you would've gotten would have been some variation of the cassette futurism spaceport we have now, just with different plots on the rides and different roaming characters. Yes, it's a massive missed opportunity in terms of meet and greets and attraction content, but you're not lacking a Hogsmeade because there is no Hogsmeade for the franchise.
I agree there’s no Star Wars location as iconic as Hogwarts, Hogsmead, etc but I think that should have made the inclusion of the OG characters even more important, it would have brought familiarity to an unfamiliar land, walking into the courtyard and seeing the Millenium Falcon is still a massive wow factor, it doesn’t matter that its parked in an unknown setting because we‘re geaking out over the Milenium Falcon and getting lost in nostalgia, there’s some of that with the other space ships also but that’s really it, the rest feels completely unfamiliar. It’s beautifully done but it doesn’t “scream” Star Wars like HP screams HP, Pandora screams Avatar, Carsland screams Cars, etc.

The rides are great at immersing us in Star Wars, the land itself doesn’t though. I like the idea behind an alien planet but think they may have been better off giving us Cloud City, Hoth, the Rancor pit, etc… even if just off the path in the distance it would have brought familiarity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom