News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They went on a marathon in the latter half of the 2010s. I see no reason why the $30B wouldn't be even larger.
You see no reason?

Business conditions, economy, CEO change, interest rates, budget cuts, etc etc etc just to name a few.

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I’ve been around long enough to know even when the shovels come out, what we end up with isn’t always what was originally announced or within the concept art as well.

yensidtlaw1969

You see no reason?

Business conditions, economy, CEO change, interest rates, budget cuts, etc etc etc just to name a few.

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I’ve been around long enough to know even when the shovels come out, what we end up with isn’t always what was originally announced or within the concept art as well.
I mean, skepticism over whether they'll end up building the right stuff is one thing.

Denying that the things they're currently planning will be built before the projects have even been announced is sort of another.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I mean, skepticism over whether they'll end up building the right stuff is one thing.

Denying that the things they're currently planning will be built before the projects have even been announced is sort of another.
Is it though? I'm not denying they'll eventually do something, but I can guarantee you it won't be everything we are hoping it will be or even 100% whatever they decide to officially announce and present in concept art. I've seen how this game works over many years.

Don't forget whatever they do, will likely take 3-5 years even when the shovel hits the ground, which they should have started years ago. There is going to be a few years of what I consider stagnation at the parks which isn't good timing in my opinion. They'll probably introduce some new things (shows, parades, etc.) to help, but as far as "new" expanding lands and attractions go... we're probably looking at around 2030.

Also don't forget a potential CEO change and other budget cuts along the way...which is why I'm in the I'll believe it when it is built and opens camp. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for lots of new and exciting things...it' desperately needed...but I'm not convinced they understand that like we do.

Indy_UK

You see no reason?

Don't know what you're on about. They always stick to the concept...

2009-new-fantasyland.jpg
2011-new-fantasyland.jpg
2012-new-fantasyland.jpg

doctornick

No it’s still $60. You’re just learning how it will be divided up. Capex totals are always divided in a similar way with varying percentages.
Yes. They announced a commitment to spend $60B in a specific company division in the next 10 years. This announcement provided more specifics on how that $60B will be divided. It’s fine to be disappointed that they aren’t spending a greater percentage of that money on the parks, but there’s nothing they’ve “promised” and then retracted subsequently.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. They announced a commitment to spend $60B in a specific company division in the next 10 years. This announcement provided more specifics on how that $60B will be divided. It’s fine to be disappointed that they aren’t spending a greater percentage of that money on the parks, but there’s nothing they’ve “promised” and then retracted subsequently.
They haven’t earned a level of trust to be believed about this…or really much of anything at this point.

The amount of PR based financial “posturing” that’s gone on in the last year has eclipsed really any period of history for TWDC.

LSLS

They won’t. They never do. They just find something new to complain about.
Honestly I don't think the skepticism is that misplaced. And it's really Disney's doing. When you go two straight years where your big announcements for WDW (which is what most here care about) have been "Wouldn't it be cool if we did something like this. No plans, and it's not even approved, but imagine," people are skeptical about all this new stuff. Add on the Iger speak of (again) "We have enough land we COULD do 7 parks," and the construction people are seeing right now being DVC and one rethemed ride, and people just aren't jumping up and down at the numbers yet.

I will say I personally have no doubt they are intending to spend that money (like has been said, it's been filed, they HAVE to have intention), but I don't think you can discount things change (proxy fight could be a major thing), especially when nothing has been announced or even started. People just don't believe in the company to do things they say at this point.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
$60B in investments.

70% in Experiences growing capacity. That's $42B for all the parks and cruise lines.

WDW gets $17B. That's 40% of the $42B for all the parks and cruise lines.

Star Wars Land was $1B. So... that's 17 more lands on the order of SWL. And even if only half of that is spent on new park footprint, that's at least 8 new mega-lands in the next decade. Much more lands if they're mini-lands.

yensidtlaw1969

Is it though? I'm not denying they'll eventually do something, but I can guarantee you it won't be everything we are hoping it will be or even 100% whatever they decide to officially announce and present in concept art. I've seen how this game works over many years.

Don't forget whatever they do, will likely take 3-5 years even when the shovel hits the ground, which they should have started years ago. There is going to be a few years of what I consider stagnation at the parks which isn't good timing in my opinion. They'll probably introduce some new things (shows, parades, etc.) to help, but as far as "new" expanding lands and attractions go... we're probably looking at around 2030.

Also don't forget a potential CEO change and other budget cuts along the way...which is why I'm in the I'll believe it when it is built and opens camp. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for lots of new and exciting things...it' desperately needed...but I'm not convinced they understand that like we do.
Quoted for posterity.

Horizonsfan

$60B in investments.

70% in Experiences growing capacity. That's $42B for all the parks and cruise lines.

WDW gets $17B. That's 40% of the $42B for all the parks and cruise lines.

Star Wars Land was $1B. So... that's 17 more lands on the order of SWL. And even if only half of that is spent on new park footprint, that's at least 8 new mega-lands in the next decade. Much more lands if they're mini-lands.
Wouldn’t the $17B for WDW follow the same over arching formula (minus the DCL allocation)? That would translate to $6.4B set aside for tech/maintenance at WDW, with $10.6B left for expansion/refreshes. As Andrew25 points out above, hotels, water park, and other non-theme park alterations could also slice that $10.6B down further.

Still a substantial allocation.

Andrew25

Wouldn’t the $17B for WDW follow the same over arching formula (minus the DCL allocation)? That would translate to $6.4B set aside for tech/maintenance at WDW, with $10.6B left for expansion/refreshes. As Andrew25 points out above, hotels, water park, and other non-theme park alterations could also slice that $10.6B down further.

Still a substantial allocation.
Yeah, definitely not trying to be being pessimistic, just realistic. Don't want to set up yourself for disappointment if you expect 17 new lands on the scale of Star Wars land lol

I'm more confident in the Disney Parks than I was 2-3 years ago, but I also don't expect mega expansions at every park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom