News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Brer Panther

I don’t disagree, but the overarching theme for DAK is conservation, and Indy sought to conserve civilization against the Nazi’s, Russians, and Thuggees.
Going off that logic, they should conserve the presence of dinosaurs in the park by retaining Dinosaur.
I dislike the armchair imagineers who are quick to throw out big ideas without having all the information as though their high-level story treatments were superior (or even possible).
We're just having fun. I know my pitch for a Muppets dark ride would be pretty hard to actually pull off, and that Disney would likely never approve it (for various reasons), but I just thought of the idea one day and thought it'd be fun to actually do a write-up for this hypothetical ride. And, come on, you can't tell me something like the Ratatouille ride is really more impressive than some of the ideas in the Imagineering forum.
Which bad ideas have I defended?
I'm tempted to say the Splash Mountain retheme (which, by the way, wouldn't have even been greenlit if it weren't for armchair imagineering), but something tells me I shouldn't.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
They aren’t a hostage, they can leave but then they lose their spot in line. You know like the rest of us, but with much nicer accommodations, which they deserve because of their disability.
My DAS/Universal warranting disability occasionally requires me to get up and leave the queue. Should I lose my spot in line?

Touchdown

My DAS/Universal warranting disability occasionally requires me to get up and leave the queue. Should I lose my spot in line?
If you had a lounge with plenty of seats, refreshments and bathrooms, and air conditioning you would still need to leave?

Last edited:

doctornick

I wonder if Up is being considered as part of Tropical Americas?
It would make more sense than Coco if they are looking for an additional IP. It’s one of the few IPs that would be pretty seamless to integrate in DAK with just the baseline of effort - there’s clearly elements of adventure, exploration of nature, love of animals, conservation, etc right in the narrative. There’s even an in universe way to communicate with animals which could be a cool element for a DAK attraction

RSoxNo1

It would make more sense than Coco if they are looking for an additional IP. It’s one of the few IPs that would be pretty seamless to integrate in DAK with just the baseline of effort - there’s clearly elements of adventure, exploration of nature, love of animals, conservation, etc right in the narrative. There’s even an in universe way to communicate with animals which could be a cool element for a DAK attraction
There's actually a Dug translation collar right by the entrance to It's Tough to be a Bug

doctornick

There's actually a Dug translation collar right by the entrance to It's Tough to be a Bug

There's a M&G for Up characters in the area, no?

My point is more that using those collars - maybe not only on dogs but other animals - could be a cool story element in learning about/understanding different animals in South America. Also, of course, can be played for laughs which is a good aspect to have in attractions.

spectromagic04

There's a M&G for Up characters in the area, no?

My point is more that using those collars - maybe not only on dogs but other animals - could be a cool story element in learning about/understanding different animals in South America. Also, of course, can be played for laughs which is a good aspect to have in attractions.
No not anymore they haven’t been a meet and greet characters since before covid.

SpectreJordan

Those characters are already all over the park too. Giving them a home would make a lot of sense!

lentesta

Premium Member
Tagging @lentesta in this thread (instead of just the Epic Universe thread). Len, on your latest show you mentioned for the second time that you didn't think Animal Kingdom was the next park to get attention. Do you know something we don't about the timeline of Tropical Americas? Has that already been put on the back burner?

I could be wrong. But yeah, what I've heard is MK and HS are the focus.

This is all off the top of my head, so help me clarify my thinking here.

The thing I don't know is whether the strategy Disney's betting on is:
  1. Add to already-popular parks -or-
  2. Add to less-popular parks
Strategy #1 seems to make sense if Disney sees a need to get people in the door. So if surveys say "I'm not coming because there's nothing new", even after everything that's been added to EPCOT, then adding to MK makes sense. Lots of people think WDW === MK.

Strategy #2 seems to make sense if they need to get people to stay longer. Like, people are coming, but they're only going to 2 parks instead of 3 or 4.

I mention strategy #2 because I recently got an email asking for advice about G+. When I asked for details about the trip, the response was "We're doing 2 days at MK, 1 at EP, and 1 at HS."

I would love to see how many people are skipping AK like that. And this person has a 2-BR at BLT for a week. They have the money and the time.

doctornick

I could be wrong. But yeah, what I've heard is MK and HS are the focus.

Well, that's interesting if true. We already know that "Beyond Thunder Mountain" is a potential thing and there's also the new talk about maybe doing something at SGE.

But any ideas what (and where) is being considered for DHS? I personally feel like redoing all of Animation courtyard including taking out the old animation building and connecting it to the RNR area is the right play but I'm curious as to Disney's thoughts.

I also think there's no way they should close Dinoland USA down unless they add rides elsewhere first (*cough* Pandora) to compensate for potential lost capacity.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Apprentice
Premium Member
Well, that's interesting if true. We already know that "Beyond Thunder Mountain" is a potential thing and there's also the new talk about maybe doing something at SGE.

But any ideas what (and where) is being considered for DHS? I personally feel like redoing all of Animation courtyard including taking out the old animation building and connecting it to the RNR area is the right play but I'm curious as to Disney's thoughts.

I also think there's no way they should close Dinoland USA down unless they add rides elsewhere first (*cough* Pandora) to compensate for potential lost capacity.
Orlando still likes the idea of Carsland/ RSR but they're hesitant on pulling the trigger just yet, unless things changed. But it could be somethings else entirely.

For them to circle back to DHS makes me think MMRR wasn't the draw they had hoped.

doctornick

Orlando still likes the idea of Carsland/ RSR but they're hesitant on pulling the trigger just yet, unless things changed. But it could be somethings else entirely.

Hmmm. We are assuming that would go in DHS (where it makes the most sense), right? I'd have no problem with adding and it would be a good addition in terms of that park's needs if they could make it fit, but my biggest gripe would be the redundancy of Mater's with Alien Saucers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom