News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

celluloid

Who are we talking about exactly? Hardly anyone from Imagineering was on stage for any appreciable amount of time during the main presentation.
Really? Maybe you missed it. There were three within the main hour.
But the situation as a whole is not dependent on the few Imagineers there. The rest were execs going "Believe me" and "trust us" with "this is the best company"

James Alucobond

Really? Maybe you missed it. There were three within the main hour.
But the situation as a whole is not dependent on the few Imagineers there. The rest were execs going "Believe me" and "trust us" with "this is the best company"
I saw them, but as I said, they were not on stage for that long, and they were not acting in the manner the poster I was responding to described. He or she said it was fine for Walt to hype up what they were doing in the days of old, so I assumed they were at least theoretically fine with Bob and Josh doing it too; instead, they said the Imagineers of today were overly self-congratulatory. I didn't see it there, so I'm wondering who we're talking about.

celluloid

I saw them, but as I said, they were not on stage for that long, and they were not acting in the manner the poster I was responding to described. He or she said it was fine for Walt to hype up what they were doing in the days of old, so I assumed they were at least theoretically fine with Bob and Josh doing it too; instead, they said the Imagineers of today were overly self-congratulatory. I didn't see it there, so I'm wondering who we're talking about.

Josh and Bob definitely have that. Bob was there in video. Josh said over twenty times how great their company was. That is different than explaining what greatness the people of the company are gojng to do.

The main Imagineers definitely had a presence of self congratulatory scripted that is different from letting them actually talk about what they are working on in the old shows you mentioned.

Certainly a difference. I find the poster's points valid.

James Alucobond

I suppose you're entitled to feel however you feel, but the refusal to point out who in Imagineering is doing this and what they actually said that was offensive relative to how Imagineers "used to" behave is odd to me. Regardless, this has gone off topic and I imagine asking a third time will just produce further unrelated content, so I'll leave it at that.

Mike S

Bingo.

It's that kind of stuff that concerns a lot of us about this current WDI generation.

Today's Imagineers seem to be really excited to talk about themselves and how brilliantly they approach their work and how important and meaningful it all is, but then when we see that actual work as paying customers.... er... :rolleyes:
It seems to be an issue with entertainment as a whole. They think people actually care about them as individuals but in reality for most people it’s more like the relationship that existed between royalty and court jesters: succeed in entertaining us or it’s off with your head (metaphorically) for all we care. Of course though this changes for those that have proven themselves like the Steven Spielbergs and Tony Baxters of the world.

Honeycomb

I dont mind the remakes if they try something different. "The Jungle Book" remake was superior to the cartoon. "Cinderella" changed just enough. But these shot-for-shot remakes are pointless. I think the nadir was "The Lion King" 'live action' which was a cartoon remake of a cartoon
I've only seen Cinderella. Wasn't interested in the rest.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

Yep, this…
If ya’ hafta’ continually tell people how brilliant you are, chances are, you’re not.
I don’t remember the older Imagineers doing anything like this.
I’ve seen interviews with many of them over the years. They all seemed very modest, and also talked about how many failures they had before achieving success regarding story, designs, engineering, etc. I remember an interview with Bob Gurr regarding opening day at Disneyland (we all know how much of a near disaster that was), and he was talking about how the Autopia cars kept breaking down, etc.
Walt didn’t heap praise on his employees…he hired them to do a job, and expected it done.
I remember a story about a young Imagineer proudly approaching Walt and an associate (John Hench, IIRC) to show him his design option for a new project. Walt inspected it for a few moments and then replied something like… “Hmmm. That’s OK, but, it’s hard to choose between just one option.”…!!!!! :hilarious:
There were no participation trophies and “You are special…!!!” praise in that world.
You did the job you were paid to do, and went home at the end of the day with that satisfaction.
I worked fairly independently for years and then, during Covid, started back in a more traditional workplace. I’m amazed at how much more you have to “sell yourself” these days. I feel like it’s a problem of the social media era. The degree to which one must use all the right buzzwords and self-promote seems to have increased quite a bit. It was always a thing but not, I don’t think, to this extent.

Homemade Imagineering

Can’t make any confirmations but I have a hunch the company Lifeformations may be working on some parts of this attraction. Minor figures and whatnot. I have heard they were responsible for the Peter Pan figures at Shanghai Disneyland, alongside more minor work on BaTB at Tokyo

donaldtoo

I worked fairly independently for years and then, during Covid, started back in a more traditional workplace. I’m amazed at how much more you have to “sell yourself” these days. I feel like it’s a problem of the social media era. The degree to which one must use all the right buzzwords and self-promote seems to have increased quite a bit. It was always a thing but not, I don’t think, to this extent.

The only experience I had with that was during the recession way back in ‘08. I had been with the same architectural firm for 20+ years when I was laid off. Only profession I had ever been in.
Had to pay the bills, mortgage, etc., so I started working as many as 3 retail jobs at a time. First place I interviewed was at our local mall Disney Store (now defunct). Several months after I was hired, and had proved my work ethic, the SM confided in me a conversation she had with the DM right after she hired me.
The DM asked her “Why did you hire this old guy…?!” (I was mid 40’s at the time). She replied “Because he exhibited the 5 ‘Magical Qualities’ perfectly…!!!”…!!!!! :hilarious:
I ended up working there for 4+ years, with 1+ year in a Lead Manager position, along with the other one or two retail jobs I had.
I’ve now been back with the architectural firm for over 10 years, and no “Magical Qualities” were ever asked about, as my work speaks for itself…!!! :)

Smiley/OCD

We (the WDW Disney Enthusiasts) often have a different viewpoint from the every day targeted Disney guest. The Frozen ride is immensely popular. Maelstrom had a place in all of our heart's, but the wait times were average walk on VS. Frozen which is consistently 60 minutes.

Again, the historian and avid fan (most of this board) may have different views, but the echo chamber we converse in shouldn't be the end all/be all on how successful this ride is for the park.
That’s where you’re making the mistake…wait times have absolutely NOTHING to do with the perceived quality of the ride…FEA was yet another example of Disney shoehorning IP into an attraction. The AA’s with those projected faces are HORRIBLE.
Maelstrom was a commercial for Norway tourism the same way the film was. It was never popular because it was “edutainment”…if they left Maelstrom alone and created Frozen restrooms instead, there would be lines for them like an NFL game at halftime. IMHO, there’s no comparison…Maelstrom was the superior attraction.

TP2000

I was surprised by the lack of information last week.

When they announced TBA information I settled down to hear, or see some proper new details.

We got a weird shot of Louis.

Aaaaaannnnddd moving on.. make a wish...

It was really odd.

It's really, really odd. (I added an extra one for you)

This attraction is under construction on both coasts. They know what's going to be in every single scene. They not only know where every single AA is going, but where they also know every single light fixture is being placed and every single speaker and every single projection rig is going.

And yet they won't really tell us what is in this ride. At this point, that is concerning and sends up a warning flare.

Smiley/OCD

It's really, really odd. (I added an extra one for you)

This attraction is under construction on both coasts. They know what's going to be in every single scene. They not only know where every single AA is going, but where they also know every single light fixture is being placed and every single speaker and every single projection rig is going.

And yet they won't really tell us what is in this ride. At this point, that is concerning and sends up a warning flare.
They’re not telling us because this attraction is SO incendiary…they know whatever they release is going to get torn to shreds on this site and ALL social media.
It would never happen, but a total news blackout should be enforced including confiscating of all phones and cameras belonging to all CMs and construction employees in a central location.
Let everyone, pro and anti Tiana either be bitterly disappointed or surprised and elated with the attraction when it’s completed.

LittleBuford

Still significantly less than what was there prior. Even the less populated WDW version.
I know, but I'm trying to think of this as a new ride rather than continually compare it to what was there before. The number of animatronics we currently know of is, in itself, quite generous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom