News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Tha Realest

I don't give a dang about blue sky water color paintings. The ONLY thing that I care about are projects that have an ACTUAL financial green light from Disney finance. Without that,...these fantasy ideas are worthless.

Announce that the budget and money have been approved and...get a real "break-ground" date!

Only then....can we get excited and wait for construction to finish in 5-7 years.
The official Twitter account just said Encanto/Indy at DAK is being “considered”

MrPromey

My opinion would be to have Coco at Epcot / Mexico pavilion.
Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot / United Kingdom.
Have a new country in Colombia created at Epcot just for Encanto.
Then utilize all that free land in other parks for something grander.
Beyond Big Thunder Mountain should be something really special & different for Magic Kingdom.
Something that can last 50 years & add to the park & the whole Walt Disney Resort.
Effort needs to really be put in.
That last Fantasy land expansion was a ripoff.
The only new attraction was Snow Whites Mine coaster.
Let's not make the same mistakes.
To be fair, we did get the Little Mermaid, too but you can be forgiven for forgetting that one since almost everyone else wants to or has. 😏

Last edited:

Jae-J

I mean, that's not going to happen in the next 20 years. So getting a decent sized land inside Magic Kingdom makes sense to me. How can we say all of the Disney magic and fairytales fit in Magic Kingdom but not all the dark

To be fair, we did get the Little Mermaid, too but you can be forgiven for forgetting that one since almost everyone else wants to or has. 😏
Mermaid is a decent attraction but it was just a carbon copy of what is at other parks with the same ride system as Haunted Mansion.
Nothing but an attraction that was rush into blueprints as a filler.
Walt Disney World deserves something special & unique.
Like when we got Everest Expedition back in 2006.
Us fans should be wowed & amazed!
Make us never second guess about not renewing our annual passes ever.

MrPromey

Mermaid is a decent attraction but it was just a carbon copy of what is at other parks with the same ride system as Haunted Mansion.
Nothing but an attraction that was rush into blueprints as a filler.
Walt Disney World deserves something special & unique.
Like when we got Everest Expedition back in 2006.
Us fans should be wowed & amazed!
Make us never second guess about not renewing our annual passes ever.
Lots of attractions use or have used the same ride system as Haunted Mansion. Disney invented it and it's called an Omnimover.

The ride system wasn't the problem, the ride they used it in was.

Having said that, it was planned for here at the same time as DL's (development budget was split). Theirs just opened a little sooner and what they managed to get right over there is setting it up as a c-ticket attraction from the onset where as over here, they gave it a really impressive e-ticket exterior and queue.

I mean, there is plenty more wrong with it than that but all of that's easier to overlook out in Californa Adventure because of where and how it was established, there.

A part of me wonders if all these noncommittal big plans they supposedly have are just their way of dragging their feet until they see how Epic Universe is received so they have some idea of what they may need to pour into future development on their end.

I'm beginning to think we won't see outward signs of them getting serous about anything until after Universal's next park is fully online.

In the meantime, they can stall and delay with pretty concept art for things they're "thinking about".

Last edited:

TP2000

A part of me wonders if all these noncommittal big plans they supposedly have are just their way of dragging their feet until they see how Epic Universe is received so they have some idea of what they may need to pour into future development on their end.

I'm beginning to think we won't see outward signs of them getting serous about anything until after Universal's next park is online.

Exactly. Or, in other words, check back in 2032. :rolleyes:

Cliff

The official Twitter account just said Encanto/Indy at DAK is being “considered”
Egggg-zactly!

You can bet that very little of this actually has a budget, let alone a financial green light.

I'd bet again that the finance groups in Burbank and Orlando were watching the live stream with us...LAUGHING their tails off. I can see them texting each other:

"Look at that Joe,...these guys are crazy dreamers. There is no chance in Hell that we are going to sign off on ANY of that for 3 years...if at all!....Hahaha!!!"

This entire presentation was just to convince investors that everything at Disney is perfectly OK. It's there to make US feel that everything is fine. It's all smoke and mirrors. Disney will need to use careful wording like "what if" or "plans to" or "considering" because it's unfair to "promise" anything like this to actual investors using this information to make real investment decisions.

This is all just a mostly fake public relations hype attempt. Disney is not going to spend $1 on anything new until AFTER this massive HULU 10 billion dollar+ deal is fully financed and finished and Disney stops the hundreds of millions of dollars...per quarter,...every quarter....of financial bleeding.

Last edited:

jmuboy

This one is still so blue sky I’m not really that excited…yet.

What would be great is if by overdrive he means a much faster production schedule. These 5 to 7 year builds are ridiculous.
Agreed - but Josh kept saying things like stuff coming “this decade “ so I feel like this Beyond Big Thunder is going to be like the 7 year build out ( announcement to opening ) we had with Pandora at DAK.

But at least that was worth it

lazyboy97o

Theres a few problems with this theory:

1) What are we to make of all the grand plans unveiled by D’Amaro and WDI? Are they cynical liars?

2) Many planned (and announced) WDW projects had been scrapped before this FL-RCID thing became a thing.

3) CA hasn’t been “all systems go” in a non-hostile environment (you know, the state and locals that shut them down for 15 months).
  1. Plans are always being developed on a variety of scales. Teasing what could be without interference is also a strategy used by all sorts of groups to remove regulatory barriers.
  2. Just because there are other factors that can and do kill projects doesn’t mean new ones cannot arise.
  3. The Disneyland Resort was not shut down out of spite specifically directed towards Disney.
You were just in the other thread claiming the Board had a good argument and was prevailing in their efforts to control development at Walt Disney World. Now you’re claiming that supposed success is meaningless.

bmr1591

1. Plans are always being developed on a variety of scales. Teasing what could be without interference is also a strategy used by all sorts of groups to remove regulatory barriers.
  2. Just because there are other factors that can and do kill projects doesn’t mean new ones cannot arise.
  3. The Disneyland Resort was not shut down out of spite specifically directed towards Disney.
You were just in the other thread claiming the Board had a good argument and was prevailing in their efforts to control development at Walt Disney World. Now you’re claiming that supposed success is meaningless.

And from the sound of what Josh said, part of pitching blue sky concepts are the ability to have ‘a conversation’, aka get feedback from fans before things get locked in. Had reactions to last year’s blue sky plans been through the roof positive, we’d probably have heard an announcement on Dinoland’s closure this year. Instead, we get a different concept to hear people’s thoughts on. The reaction so far seems much more positive.

lazyboy97o

And from the sound of what Josh said, part of pitching blue sky concepts are the ability to have ‘a conversation’, aka get feedback from fans before things get locked in. Had reactions to last year’s blue sky plans been through the roof positive, we’d probably have heard an announcement on Dinoland’s closure this year. Instead, we get a different concept to hear people’s thoughts on. The reaction so far seems much more positive.
Eh, that‘s more like pandering to the audience to save face on still not actually doing anything. If they really care about feedback they’d be working to actually improve capacity and continue to squander resources on redressing facilities.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
If I was in charge this is what I'd do, assuming that IPs must be used, opening in three phases. Everything is to scale.

This is purely spitballing and to get an idea of how much room there is back there!

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 2.38.31 PM.png

Firstly, I'd have the Haunted Mansion Restaurant, pictured below as Pinocchio Village Haus open alongside a nicer queue re-oriented on the side of the Mansion, shown below as Disneyland Paris' line for Phantom Manor. The queue being re-oriented allows for a much better managed queue space along with its beautification and of course, freeing up space for a walkway to a Villain's Land. This of course would also create a brilliant transition.
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 2.42.02 PM.png

While this is being built, the infrastructure work for Beyond Big Thunder would commence.

I opted for two lands: Cars Land, serving as a flawless transition from Big Thunder Mountain and a happier counter to the darkness of a Villains Land, and because it is already one of the best lands ever made. While I'd love California Adventure to keep it as an exclusive, I'd much rather take a surefire hit than something mediocre. Going through rockwork/a tunnel leads to outside the Villains Land from there, providing a decent transition. Perhaps this could be phase 3.

Now, it's possible Disney is going full-blown Galaxy's Edge in scale for the Villains Land, but I honestly feel it could be effectively handled perhaps only being 10 or 15% larger than Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida so you could cram in more detail. I feel it should definitely open before whatever other land they put in the park if they decide to do multiple.

I figure, with an expansion of this size, realistically two headlining E-tickets are all we are going to get, but where the King's Cross Station is at Diagon Alley on the northside of the land, there's an easy expansion plot for a major ride or an opening day C-ticket.

Further, if Cars Land is used, the right side of it already has a walkway which leads to Pacific Wharf, now San Fransokyo Square. You'd only have to minorly shrink RoA and have this be the main walking path to the Villains Land and then Liberty Square beyond that. The train would have to be re-routed, however, likely cutting between the lands with Cars Land being outside of its perimeter and Villains being within it.

The only thing is the walkway leading to Cars Land from Tiana's Bayou Adventure might be difficult to pull off. Putting it to the right of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is an option too.
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 2.44.55 PM.png

The Villains Land intrigues me the most. Now, Diagon Alley isn't as massive as Galaxy's Edge, but it's arguably the best-themed land in Orlando (I don't even think it's close). I felt it is a perfect land in tone for how Disney's land should be, and with Monsters Universe on the way at Epic Universe doubling down on this and is likely to be the park's best, they really do need to have a similar offering as a darker land like this is sorely lacking from Disney parks.

Diagon Alley is already largely covered and has Knockturn Alley. Its more reasonable footprint lends itself to that design. I say, why stop there? Just make the entire Villain's Land indoors. And rather than a Londonesque exterior that you stumble through to Diagon Alley, you could make it mischievous, perhaps to look like the side of a mountain.

The new Haunted Mansion queue and restaurant would be a perfect transition to the land as well!

And now, I'm not advocating for just copying and pasting Diagon obviously, but it could serve as a really good blueprint for how to go about this land.

In place of Escape From Gringotts I imagine should be a similarly thrilling dark ride, and a large-scale experience featuring either Maleficent or Chernabog. If it is Chernabog/Fantasia-themed, then I'd at least hope for a dragon walkthrough like DLP has for Maleficent.

And here's a list of Diagon Alley's shops! Everything from an ice cream parlor to a candy store is featured. Importantly, the kinetics in each window and the whimsicalness of the land's design are very effective.
1694371913634.png

Here are some things Diagon Alley has equivalents of and imagine it would be fantastic at MK too. Just letting you know, that I'm not selecting names, just ideas for what they could be. There's quite a lot to work with under the overarching theme of Disney Villains. Diagon Alley has even more individual places to explore than I am going to mention as well, so I think this is actually quite realistic.

And now, I don't think they should only be selling merch/food from these specific properties, but that the shops themselves are just themed to said IP.

Candy Store = The Poison Apple from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, themed to the Evil Queen.
1694372850347.png

Toy Store = A Toy Story Shop, perhaps with many of Sid's horrifying creations (but without featuring Sid). You could also have a second store themed to Making Christmas from the Nightmare Before Christmas.
1694372361225.png

Butterbeer Cart = Some unique beverage stand from Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog.

Quick-Service Restaurant = Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall or perhaps a Headless Horseman Tavern (I'd put Gaston but he already has representation in New Fantasyland).

Ice Cream = Heffalumps and Woozles from Winnie the Pooh.

General Merch = Big Bad Wolf Shop, perhaps outside the land on the pathway around RoA appearing as his house, maybe with a back entrance into the land, serving as an alternative to the main entrance.

Very Unique Clothing Store = Cruella de Vil's, perhaps it could also sell Halloween costumes.
1694374496119.png

Jafar, Ursula, Captain Hook, Judge Frollo, Scar, Mother Gothel, and even Gaston also definitely need representation.

Some other additions I think would be great.

Diagon Alley has an indoor Butterbeer shop, but I say for a Villains Land go even further and make it like an Oogie Boogie Gamblin' Bar. I'm thinking more like Trader Sam's than Oga's Cantina, but obviously much larger, with an Oogie Boogie Animatronic in the center and a fair share of blacklight and chaos throughout.
1694372210432.png

And finally, if this land only opens with one land, I feel a small-scaled show (but infinitely better themed and executed) like an American Idol Experience or Stitch's Great Escape could be a good idea. Honestly, why not theme it to a Hades, Pain, and Panic Comedy Show, the levity provided with some dark humor sprinkled throughout could be very fun!
1694373301381.png

If it opens with two rides, I'd kill for a Nightmare Before Christmas Trackless Ride or even an Arabian Nights Coaster with Jafar.

There are very few things I feel an overabundance of IPs would be amazing for, but THIS is one of them.

There's so much lore to explore. Halloween has one of the coolest aesthetics there is, and man would I kill for a land like this. Even if it takes 6-7 years for it to open, the fact that a massive land themed to Villains is really in the pipeline just has me so excited. It's an infinitely better concept than just throwing Encanto and Coco there and calling it a day, and I'm glad it has seemingly taken priority despite the

1694372958701.png

Last edited:

Door Coaster

View attachment 741919
View attachment 741920
To me, this seems to be the path of least resistance for what they're trying to do. If they're building the resort north of the Grand Floridian, I could see a plaza/entrance/expansion area south of Coco that justifies being that far out.

A walkway from Haunted Mansion could create an extremely pretty boardwalk-type area and a fantastic transition into a villain's land, then a tunnel through to Coco and beyond. thematically, it works perfectly, IMHO. If they want, they could mess with adding another path over the utilidors entrance to decongest HM.
Decent map. FYI though I made a map based mostly off the 2022 announcement art and ToTBellhop-dirived info:
Artistic Representation
View attachment 697797
Note - since then it would appear that either Villains will be larger or a new IP will be moving in to replace Encanto since that's now going to DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom