News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
^ Please no on Carsland. I wouldn’t mind seeing it show up at Hollywood Studios, but I really like that Magic Kingdom is still free of IP-locked lands.
I would also prefer it at Hollywood Studios.

However, I was approaching it from Disney's POV, and they have no large plans for WDW's worst park by a mile, HWS, which is why I included it here.

Rather than dropping half a billion on a hodgepodge land of Coco and whatever other random IP, I'd infinitely take arguably the greatest land outside of Tokyo DisneySea. That was my point, and placemaking-wise it would fit pretty well opposite of Big Thunder Mountain.

However, I don't feel like Cars Land feels like a single IP land in the ways the Potter and Star Wars lands do since it has a groundedness that makes it not even feel like one, while also having a heart to it on account of the IP that I feel has only ever been captured in Disneyland Park, so I'd more than welcome it.

Last edited:

Cliff

People are upset because Disney keeps calling all these ideas as "what if...." or "considering..." or "under development.." etc....etc.

There is a very important reason why they will not say "We are GOING to do this or that". Disney needs to be 100% clear to stock holders and investors. They can't promise major business investments that cause people to make stock decisions based on future stated projects. They have a fiduciary responsibility to create fair an honest expectations...otherwise Disney could be held legally liable.

So,...all these ideas are likely just fantasies that have no budget, no finance green light and no timeline for implementation. Disney makes this CLEAR to cover it's tail for the stockholders.

Besides,...all of these paintings are likely to completely change into something totally new and different by the next D23 event anyway. This is the modern Disney trend now.

Last edited:

OSUPhantom

My recollection of the presentation was that their plans for Magic Kingdom was multiple additions to the park alongside Beyond Big Thunder. I imagine “Beyond” is probably the biggest part but I’m guessing other parts of the park will receive some love too. Their plan to respond to EU may be to double down on the flagship park in the mid/long term.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My recollection of the presentation was that their plans for Magic Kingdom was multiple additions to the park alongside Beyond Big Thunder. I imagine “Beyond” is probably the biggest part but I’m guessing other parts of the park will receive some love too. Their plan to respond to EU may be to double down on the flagship park in the mid/long term.
Except for the aborted MK Theater, I don't know of any other planned additions that were *announced* that were in addition to Beyond BTMR.

All other expansions were rumors, AFAIK.

OSUPhantom

Except for the aborted MK Theater, I don't know of any other planned additions that were *announced* that were in addition to Beyond BTMR.

All other expansions were rumors, AFAIK.
They didn’t announce anything so at this point everything is a rumor. I’m saying that was my perception of the presentation, I have no evidence beyond trying to read between the lines.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I would also prefer it at Hollywood Studios.

However, I was approaching it from Disney's POV, and they have no large plans for WDW's worst park by a mile, HWS, which is why I included it here.

Rather than dropping half a billion on a hodgepodge land of Coco and whatever other random IP, I'd infinitely take arguably the greatest land outside of Tokyo DisneySea. That was my point, and placemaking-wise it would fit pretty well opposite of Big Thunder Mountain.

However, I don't feel like Cars Land feels like a single IP land in the ways the Potter and Star Wars lands do since it has a groundedness that makes it not even feel like one, while also having a heart to it on account of the IP that I feel has only ever been captured in Disneyland Park, so I'd more than welcome it.
If you don't get hung up on the symantics and just look at the visuals, a Radiator Springs Racers attraction would work well back there. And as you said, it would transition to a villainous mountainscape for a villains area.

Disstevefan1

So the beyond big thunder mountain stuff they talked about last year, they talked about this year. So that's over a year of just talking.

If/when they ever actually decide what is going there, it will be many years after that (5 to 7 years) before something is open to the public.

They MUST STOP playing these games. DO NOT SHOW blue sky stuff that are not green lit.

Even projects that are green lit are many times changed to budget cuts and takes many, many years to complete.

From the moment I first head of EPIC Universe, it wasn't too long after I saw construction photos and it goes without saying they are MOVING FAST on this project as we can see by the photos.

Whatever special district EPIC Universe resides in, that got out of the way and let them build.

lazyboy97o

So the beyond big thunder mountain stuff they talked about last year, they talked about this year. So that's over a year of just talking.

If/when they ever actually decide what is going there, it will be many years after that (5 to 7 years) before something is open to the public.

They MUST STOP playing these games. DO NOT SHOW blue sky stuff that are not green lit.

Even projects that are green lit are many times changed to budget cuts and takes many, many years to complete.

From the moment I first head of EPIC Universe, it wasn't too long after I saw construction photos and it goes without saying they are MOVING FAST on this project as we can see by the photos.

Whatever special district EPIC Universe resides in, that got out of the way and let them build.
Universal first openly talked about a third gate in 1999. It’ll be at least a decade between serious work starting on the project and opening day. Even the thread on here about the park started a good two years before construction progressed beyond preliminary site work. There is no special district and there was a very long effort involved in rezoning, removing restrictive covenants and negotiating with the county to get infrastructure built.

Disstevefan1

Universal first openly talked about a third gate in 1999. It’ll be at least a decade between serious work starting on the project and opening day. Even the thread on here about the park started a good two years before construction progressed beyond preliminary site work. There is no special district and there was a very long effort involved in rezoning, removing restrictive covenants and negotiating with the county to get infrastructure built.
Wow, that's a long time ago! This is not about EPIC as it mentions 700 time-share units, a pair of 18-hole golf courses, and more than 2 million square feet of retail space.

After the Sept. 11 attacks everything by everyone halted in fact Universal sold off land that was intended for whats mentioned in this article I think.

In your research do you know when EPIC universe was first mentioned? It doesn't matter, I don't feel like I am waiting 7 years for EPIC to open no matter when its first announced.

It feels like to me its taking FOREVER for Disney to finish (whatever they are trying to do) in EPCOT.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

I still don't understand why they thought it would be a good idea to just put up curtains over views into the aquarium. They could have at least done a Nemo ride that incorporated those windows.

To ensure guests walk around and window watch all the sea mammals instead large portion sit watch and leave. 🤣

gorillaball

Well its a good thing we will have about 7 years or so to discuss this 🤣
Epic was officially announced Aug 1, 2019 (and rumored/discussed before that) - it is scheduled to open in 2025. People act like it's on a 2 year turn around, it's not. Does Universal build faster than Disney, yes.

"I didn't hear about..." and "feels like..." are your perceptions of the world, not entirely based in fact.

Disstevefan1

Epic was officially announced Aug 1, 2019 (and rumored/discussed before that) - it is scheduled to open in 2025. People act like it's on a 2 year turn around, it's not. Does Universal build faster than Disney, yes.

"I didn't hear about..." and "feels like..." are your perceptions of the world, not entirely based in fact.
Thanks for your thoughtful correction.

Announced 2019 and opens 2025. 6 years for an entire new park, plus three hotels, not too bad.

How long did Avatar land take to build 6 or 7 years, I don't know when they actually first announced this?

How long will it take (for whatever they are trying to do in EPCOT) about 4 years, again I have no idea when they first announced it?

The clock started for the beyond thunder a year ago, so we are one year in. Lets see how it goes (unless it gets cancelled like the Play Pavilion) and remember this is just additions to a park, not a whole new park.

Last edited:

Cliff

Universal is impressive. Epic Universe has been very exciting. Universal has the money and the "will" to decide on projects and start moving...and move strong and fast. It even seems that when they change their plans...the new idea is an improvement on the original idea!

Disney?....nope. They waffle and flounder back and forth. Their plans get stuck in INTERNAL red tape and get voted and revoted in Disney committe. They dont have the money and when they DO agree to build something...it's budget DOUBLES mid-way through and then is scaled DOWN before it finishes.

Universals plans right...budgets right...builds right...builds fast and finishes on (roughly) time. Disney does the opposite on everything.

Oh...by the way. Universal is about to get a 10-15 BILLION dollar check from Disney in the next 4 months for their portion of HULU. What do you think that Universal will be able to do with Disney's 10-15 BILLION dollars?

The sky is the limit for Universal and I'm SURE they smell Disney blood in the water. They just go hire Disney's best people and they run full speed.

Disstevefan1

Universal is impressive. Epic Universe has been very exciting. Universal has the money and the "will" to decide on projects and start moving...and move strong and fast. It even seems that when they change their plans...the new idea is an improvement on the original idea!

Disney?....nope. They waffle and flounder back and forth. Their plans get stuck in INTERNAL red tape and get voted and revoted in Disney committe. They dont have the money and when they DO agree to build something...it's budget DOUBLES mid-way through and then is scaled DOWN before it finishes.

Universals plans right...budgets right...builds right...builds fast and finishes on (roughly) time. Disney does the opposite on everything.

Oh...by the way. Universal is about to get a 10-15 BILLION dollar check from Disney in the next 4 months for their portion of HULU. What do you think that Universal will be able to do with Disney's 10-15 BILLION dollars?

The sky is the limit for Universal and I'm SURE they smell Disney blood in the water. They just go hire Disney's best people and they run full speed.
Trophy.png

James Alucobond

Announced 2019 and opens 2025. 6 years for an entire new park, plus three hotels, not too bad.

How long did Avatar land take to build 6 or 7 years?
You do realize that there shouldn’t be that much time differential between a whole new park and a new land, right? They happen at the same-ish pace regardless of how many lands you’re building simultaneously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom