News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Jae-J

My opinion would be to have Coco at Epcot / Mexico pavilion.
Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot / United Kingdom.
Have a new country in Colombia created at Epcot just for Encanto.
Then utilize all that free land in other parks for something grander.
Beyond Big Thunder Mountain should be something really special & different for Magic Kingdom.
Something that can last 50 years & add to the park & the whole Walt Disney Resort.
Effort needs to really be put in.
That last Fantasy land expansion was a ripoff.
The only new attraction was Snow Whites Mine coaster.
Let's not make the same mistakes.

SplashJacket

1694280045433.png

a2eeac11d8e57a9bf543bdaedcc6ffdf.jpg

To me, this seems to be the path of least resistance for what they're trying to do. If they're building the resort north of the Grand Floridian, I could see a plaza/entrance/expansion area south of Coco that justifies being that far out.

A walkway from Haunted Mansion could create an extremely pretty boardwalk-type area and a fantastic transition into a villain's land, then a tunnel through to Coco and beyond. thematically, it works perfectly, IMHO. If they want, they could mess with adding another path over the utilidors entrance to decongest HM.

James Alucobond

I don't really see that as a problem, though. They don't need to have a massive draw attraction in that pavilion, especially when they still have empty expansion pads and unused attraction spaces in other pavilions. It's nice to have something people can do that doesn't have long lines, plus the Mexico pavilion interior is wonderful and it would be unfortunate to lose it.
Yes, but the attraction is, in my opinion, incredibly sad at this point. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t add other capacity first or make this into an E-ticket, but nothing should be eternally relegated to “take a snooze in the AC while the set collects dust” status just because there are logistical challenges that need to be overcome.

UNCgolf

Yes, but the attraction is, in my opinion, incredibly sad at this point. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t add other capacity first or make this into an E-ticket, but nothing should be eternally relegated to “take a snooze in the AC while the set collects dust” status just because there are logistical challenges that need to be overcome.

The attraction could be updated without turning it into a major draw, though. Adding Coco automatically makes it a big draw (at least at first).

doctornick

For sure, but at this point, you’re essentially saying that they can never update the pavilion’s ride in any way that’s even remotely exciting because it can’t handle the crowds. It needs to be addressed at some point.
Why does it “need to be addressed”? There’s nothing particularly wrong with the current Mexico ride. And having a ride there with generally short waits is a good thing especially with FAE right next door

James Alucobond

Why does it “need to be addressed”? There’s nothing particularly wrong with the current Mexico ride. And having a ride there with generally short waits is a good thing especially with FAE right next door
It just looks to be in a sad state whenever I ride it, but perhaps I'm being overly picky?

aladdin2007

It just looks to be in a sad state whenever I ride it, but perhaps I'm being overly picky?
I agree with you, its not in very good shape and the show quality is not great. Really miss the entrance tunnel with the mist,,,I miss how the small world style room actually had quality show lighting instead of just bright white spot lights....and the list goes on. It needs a freshen up.

doctornick

Okay, but then it just needs a refurb not a complete change of the ride. Personally I find it a great complimentary ride and if they want to spend money in WS, building a new ride in someplace like UK, Japan, Italy or Germany would be a much better use of resources than changing Mexico’s ride

James Alucobond

Okay, but then it just needs a refurb not a complete change of the ride. Personally I find it a great complimentary ride and if they want to spend money in WS, building a new ride in someplace like UK, Japan, Italy or Germany would be a much better use of resources than changing Mexico’s ride
My point is that I think even a halfway decent refurb that actually brings it up to standards would likely increase traffic to problematic levels. I could be wrong, though.

J4546

View attachment 741919
View attachment 741920
To me, this seems to be the path of least resistance for what they're trying to do. If they're building the resort north of the Grand Floridian, I could see a plaza/entrance/expansion area south of Coco that justifies being that far out.

A walkway from Haunted Mansion could create an extremely pretty boardwalk-type area and a fantastic transition into a villain's land, then a tunnel through to Coco and beyond. thematically, it works perfectly, IMHO. If they want, they could mess with adding another path over the utilidors entrance to decongest HM.
i feel like they will get rid of the northern half of rivers when they do this.

UNCgolf

My point is that I think even a halfway decent refurb that actually brings it up to standards would likely increase traffic to problematic levels. I could be wrong, though.

I kind of doubt it -- Nemo features a popular IP and it's almost always a walk-on. There's just a lot of other things to do at EPCOT.

Even if it did increase traffic, though, I don't think there's any way it would increase traffic nearly as much as it would with Coco attached.

MrPromey

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I kind of doubt it -- Nemo features a popular IP and it's almost always a walk-on. There's just a lot of other things to do at EPCOT.

Even if it did increase traffic, though, I don't think there's any way it would increase traffic nearly as much as it would with Coco attached.
Well, yes, because Nemo is a total nothingburger and could also use updates to bring it up to standards. If it were likewise refreshed to have literally any compelling animatronics, visual effects, or story details at all, I think it would instantly be quite a bit more popular.

Also, I'm slightly confused by the point you're making since the implication of Nemo is that attaching a popular IP to something does not necessarily ensure the attraction will eternally be mobbed.

UNCgolf

Well, yes, because Nemo is a total nothingburger and could also use updates to bring it up to standards. If it were likewise refreshed to have literally any compelling animatronics, visual effects, or story details at all, I think it would instantly be quite a bit more popular.

Also, I'm slightly confused by the point you're making since the implication of Nemo is that attaching a popular IP to something does not necessarily ensure the attraction will eternally be mobbed.

No, I specifically said above that Coco would be mobbed at first, not that it would be mobbed indefinitely.

As for Nemo -- it needs to be removed. There's nothing you could do to what exists that would make it a good attraction. They need to focus on the aquarium again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom