Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

CinematicFusion

I’m posting here as a fan of the movie. The budget or box-office take don’t concern me.
It should, Disney stock has tanked. Feb 1st 2021 Disney was 189.00. It’s lost 100 points from that point.
Factoring in inflation, Aladdin’s domestic opening weekend was $108.5 million, that’s $13.1 million more than The Little Mermaid’s 3-day opening weekend. In the 4-day weekend, adjustinf for inflation, Aladdin earned $138.6 million. That’s $21.1 million more than The Little Mermaid.

Not looking good for Mermaid. It’s on tract to take a loss. Needs to crack 800 million to be a success.

This movie should have been a lay up. Maybe overseas box office picks up but it’s not looking great.

CinematicFusion

Don’t really see it as a completely straight remake… they added depth and fleshed out the story more than any of the other remakes… plus it does have an A cinemascore and great word of mouth

I also disagree with you… it is a very crowded summer… it is the one reason I am not completely comfortable with how it will perform, but I think most other movies released next month could face similar problems… one thing going for it is the slightly different demo this film is going for
Needs to make over 750 million. At $250 million budget, the film has to make around $625 million dollars. I’m sure advertising budget was 150 million.If you were to take this at a 3x multiplier then it needs to make probably somewhere between $625 and $750 million to break even. In either case I think it’s a problem.

DKampy

Yes, it's completely subjective, unless you disagree with them, then you're just plain wrong. Lol
The thing is I am not on either side… I try to look at things objectively…

But people want to tear down a movie without even seeing it… that’s when I can disregard the comment…I don’t criticize any movie of any studio until I see it… I have no interest in seeing the new Transformers movie as I have seen a couple of others and thought they were horrible, but I am not gonna drag the new one down as I have not seen it

I have not noticed anyone here praising everything Disney does, but some choose to wait until they see the film

Last edited by a moderator:

LSLS

Then you must of seen The Little Mermaid too… since that is your metric

What did he say one way or the other if it would have legs? I don't think you need to see the movie to make a prediction that in it's second weekend it's going to have issues beating Spiderman's opening weekend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The thing is I am not on either side… I try to look at things objectively…

But people want to tear down a movie without even seeing it… that’s when I can disregard the comment…I don’t criticize any movie of any studio until I see it… I have no interest in seeing the new Transformers movie as I have seen a couple of others and thought they were horrible, but I am not gonna drag the new one down as I have not seen it

I have not noticed anyone here praising everything Disney does, but some choose to wait until they see the film
To be clear: I’m not lumping you in that group.

Others find themselves in a similar pattern all the time.

I often do…I would love to praise Disney more…but I’m a pain and require that they actually produce good product/make good decisions to get the praise

Last edited by a moderator:

LSLS

It’s a straight up remake of a cartoon with LMM inserted into it sideways…

I’m well aware - as is the rest of the planet - of that “formula”

This right here is completely my issue, and why I have no desire at all to see it. I'm not a huge fan of the LMM music anyways (outside of Moana). It's absolutely fair to say I haven't seen it therefore I don't know how close to an exact remake it is. But I think others need to also accept the trailers and the descriptions are why people like me think it's just another remake from the same point of view. And I don't think I'm on my own island with that thought process at this point.

erasure fan1

others need to also accept the trailers and the descriptions are why people like me think it's just another remake from the same point of view. And I don't think I'm on my own island with that thought process at this point.
You aren't alone. It's Disneys job to convince you to go see the movie through their marketing. The trailers did little to help this film. I personally have a limited budget and can't just go to every new film. So the trailer is an important part of the decision making process. If someone was not interested in seeing mermaid to start with, NOTHING in disneys marketing campaign helped sway their opinion. If anything, the supporters should be mad at Disney, not the people who haven't seen it. From the terrible CG to the dark and dreary cinematography, they didn't put their best foot forward. And that's shame on them, not the people who didn't go see it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How many weeks will it be in theaters before goes to D+ does anyone know?
No one knows.

The transition to D+ for other movies this past year has been all over the place.

If the movie has 'legs' it could be a few months. If the B.O. dies, it will be pulled sooner.

Disney has gone back, tho, to opening up a DVD/BluRay window for sales before going to D+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be fair, I don't think there was EVER accountability for making money losing movies.

It just happened less frequently and was less of a problem.
This is especially true for Walt Disney Studios (live action). WDS has had a history of lots of flops with a few blockbusters that makes the studio only just break even in the long run.

WDS eventually makes a profit with the post-theatrical windows.

And since Disney+ was born, it was the comapany's top priority. This means that Disney, the corporation, didn't care much about Box Office performance, but getting theatrically released films onto D+ to get and keep subs. And D+ is still a top priority now financially (as opposed to just sub numbers).

As an aside: Folks need to keep in mind that Walt Disney Studios and Disney Animation Studios are two different studios. Just like Pixar and Marvel are two different studios.

It's is WDS that is making all these "live action" remakes, even if it's all CGI (like The Lion King). WDS is doing animation. And DAS is still producing new animated features at its own pace (along with Pixar).

And WDS has a history of farming out projects to various directors and producers and outside studios. This makes their output vary widely. From mostly poor to a few great ones.

LittleBuford

I use the word faction because that's what it has become. One side against the other. If you object to the remakes for any reason, the honor brigade jumps in and immediately rejects everything even when it makes sense. I said I think if the movie were to lose money, that would be a failure. I was then shouted down by the usual people telling me my opinion was wrong. And that's what my faction finds tiresome.
If the posts here are anything to go by, those declaring the film a failure are doing just fine and certainly not being silenced. My only issue is that we’re not actually discussing the film, which is a great shame.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If the posts here are anything to go by, those declaring the film a failure are doing just fine and certainly not being silenced. My only issue is that we’re not actually discussing the film, which is a great shame.
Who’s said “failure”?

Every movie thread turns into. Black and white/semantics battle.

Trauma

I will change my wording to financial disappointment.

Is that more appropriate ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom