Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes Little Mermaid is posed to have a bigger cultural impact then any of the other live action remskes
It’s gonna have next to zero.
You know how much mermaid merch I saw stacked this past weekend not being touched?
Just a point of interest. Spider-Man is getting good reviews. It’s not the same demo as Mermaid and has a much smaller budget so it will be interesting to see what comes out on top this weekend.
It’s gonna win the weekend and I bet by a lot.

I think mermaid is gonna be hard pressed to make the $600 range…unless more people are into the summer movie going than the previous few

DKampy

It looks like it’s gonna be viewed as “solid” but not really a “success”…

That’s very on brand with Disney releases as of late…notably the last few marvels EXCEPT GOTG3…

And what’s different about that? It’s a well written and acted story!!!

The “formula” has never changed. You can make good movies and benefit longterm…or crap like these remakes and fast and the furious and try to make a billion in $11 days at high cost.

Seems rather binary
How about you wait until the 2nd weekend until proclaiming how this is doing at the box office… I recall people of one side proclaiming Guardians was a disappointment at the box office after it’s opening weekend

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How about you wait until the 2nd weekend until proclaiming how this is doing at the box office… I recall people of one side proclaiming Guardians was a disappointment at the box office after it’s opening weekend
I recall seeing guardians on the first weekend and knowing right away it would have legs because it was a good movie that had an appropriate level of emotion to it.

So you don’t recall “me” saying that.

Mermaid is gonna lose the domestic this weekend…but may have a decent early summer run.

This was Memorial Day…not February. It’s first week was good…but not spectacular. It’s got a hill to climb now.

CinematicFusion

However you put it, the point is it’s not a reflection on how good the film is.
It's all about the stock now for Disney. It has tanked to mid 80s. 120 point loss from the top. Mermaid, Indy must be successful.
I don't like the early numbers of attendance with Mermaid. Not looking good so far with Spiderman coming out soon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's all about the stock now for Disney. It has tanked to mid 80s. 120 point loss from the top. Mermaid, Indy must be successful.
I don't like the early numbers of attendance with Mermaid. Not looking good so far with Spiderman coming out soon.
Not sure about mermaid

Indy is doa

It looks awful in trailers and they already let it get reviewed and it’s in the “kill zone”

DKampy

I recall seeing guardians on the first weekend and knowing right away it would have legs because it was a good movie that had an appropriate level of emotion to it.

So you don’t recall “me” saying that.

Mermaid is gonna lose the domestic this weekend…but may have a decent early summer run.

This was Memorial Day…not February. Its first week was good…but not spectacular. It’s got a hill to climb now.
Then you must of seen The Little Mermaid too… since that is your metric

CinematicFusion

Not sure about mermaid

Indy is doa

It looks awful in trailers and they already let it get reviewed and it’s in the “kill zone”
I hate that... no reason Indy should be terrible.
Mermaid was average, critic score is correct at 68%.
one full month of bad reviews for Indiana Jones... interesting to see how that effects box office.
Sitting currently at 49%

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Then you must of seen The Little Mermaid too… since that is your metric
It’s a straight up remake of a cartoon with LMM inserted into it sideways…

I’m well aware - as is the rest of the planet - of that “formula”

Don’t be a mouthpiece. Just look at the returns.
It didn’t start off great…BUT can do well if it pulls in that girl demographic over the next few weeks into a summer without a lot of big releases.

LittleBuford

It didn’t start off great…BUT can do well if it pulls in that girl demographic over the next few weeks into a summer without a lot of big releases.
So you haven’t seen the film then. It’s interesting you feel you can speak with such certainty about its quality given that you have no firsthand knowledge of it.

erasure fan1

If only the criticisms were about the film! That would be a discussion worth engaging in, and one actually related to the topic of the thread. It's the generalised griping and gleeful rooting for failure that my "faction" finds tiresome.
I use the word faction because that's what it has become. One side against the other. If you object to the remakes for any reason, the honor brigade jumps in and immediately rejects everything even when it makes sense. I said I think if the movie were to lose money, that would be a failure. I was then shouted down by the usual people telling me my opinion was wrong. And that's what my faction finds tiresome.

DKampy

Don’t really see it as a completely straight remake… they added depth and fleshed out the story more than any of the other remakes… plus it does have an A cinemascore and great word of mouth

I also disagree with you… it is a very crowded summer… it is the one reason I am not completely comfortable with how it will perform, but I think most other movies released next month could face similar problems… one thing going for it is the slightly different demo this film is going for

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don’t really see it as a completely straight remake… they added depth and fleshed out the story more than any of the other remakes… plus it does have an A cinemascore and great word of mouth
Does she meet the prince, defy her father and make a deal with a witch?
I also disagree with you… it is a very crowded summer… it is the one reason I am not completely comfortable with how it will perform, but I think most other movies released next month could face similar problems… one thing going for it is the slightly different demo this film is going for
Doesn’t look like a lot of competition for the target demographics?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I use the word faction because that's what it has become. One side against the other. If you object to the remakes for any reason, the honor brigade jumps in and immediately rejects everything even when it makes sense. I said I think if the movie were to lose money, that would be a failure. I was then shouted down by the usual people telling me my opinion was wrong. And that's what my faction finds tiresome.
My favorite thing about gatekeepers is how they attempt to claim it is all “subjective” to each topic…when the actual message is the same in all cases: I like Disney.

If you point it out…you’ll get “I’m FAR from an apologist…”

Works like a charm 🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom