News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They didn’t try to hide the fact that it was nothing more than engaging in some fun “what if?” with fans. I thought it was a god way to engage at a fan convention. Fans love to armchair imagineer (though I really don’t get the appeal of the “imagineering” boards on this site)—we’ve been talking about the Beyond Big Thunder presentation for 56 pages now!

Why not have actual Imagineers join in the fun?
I took it as more of an obvious admission they don’t have a clue what they should do next or where which is troubling considering what is needed

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Not to speak on the specific concepts/themes but I do think that building on the north side of the RoA and connecting Frontierland and Liberty Sq on the other side is a great idea for MK. would really be helpful for expanding space and improving guest flow (especially during parades). The Splash/BTMRR dead end is terrible.

I wouldn’t focus on MK on the “next” expansion if I were TDO, as DAK and DHS need additional stuff more, but I heartily approve of the idea of going “beyond Thunder Mountain” as a concept. And I’m happy to note that insiders here have confirmed that doing so is truly being considered.
I suggested parking the ferry and making it a tiana restaurant near splash mountain and then redoing TSI into different attraction space and connecting as you mentioned.

Regardless, to me the MK is the last park of the 4 that needs expansion and more guests attracted to it

NotCalledBob

They didn’t try to hide the fact that it was nothing more than engaging in some fun “what if?” with fans. I thought it was a god way to engage at a fan convention. Fans love to armchair imagineer (though I really don’t get the appeal of the “imagineering” boards on this site)—we’ve been talking about the Beyond Big Thunder presentation for 56 pages now!

Why not have actual Imagineers join in the fun?

I agree. I thought it was fun. It's nice to see what the current thought processes are.

However, I think it fell a bit flat because of the lack of other announcements.

If they had firm announcements, (other than meet and greets, and unretiring old night time spectaculars), then I think it's a great addition to the panel. Great to see the imagineers up front and center, and brainstorming.

But, not in the place of other news.

ToTBellHop

I agree. I thought it was fun. It's nice to see what the current thought processes are.

However, I think it fell a bit flat because of the lack of other announcements.

If they had firm announcements, (other than meet and greets, and unretiring old night time spectaculars), then I think it's a great addition to the panel. Great to see the imagineers up front and center, and brainstorming.

But, not in the place of other news.
Let’s hope they have something concrete to announce at WDW at Destination D23 this year.

doctornick

I suggested parking the ferry and making it a tiana restaurant near splash mountain and then redoing TSI into different attraction space and connecting as you mentioned.

Regardless, to me the MK is the last park of the 4 that needs expansion and more guests attracted to it
That IMHO sounds terrible. Having the river with boat traffic on it is awesome to see for the ambience and having TSI be a quiet respite to explore is a wonderful contrast to the busy rest of MK. Why waste tons of money to redo perfectly useful aspects of the park when it could be used to expand the park with new space and attractions

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That IMHO sounds terrible. Having the river with boat traffic on it is awesome to see for the ambience and having TSI be a quiet respite to explore is a wonderful contrast to the busy rest of MK. Why waste tons of money to redo perfectly useful aspects of the park when it could be used to expand the park with new space and attractions
Do you consider TSI to be a perfectly useful aspect of the park that wouldn’t benefit from additional/more popular offerings

Animaniac93-98

I'm about to get crucified.

Replacing Country Bear Jamboree with a relevant popular IP would help improve MK capacity in the short term.

The theater is tiny and there's not much room to expand it or replace it with something else that would draw larger crowds.

Just rotating all three Bear shows throughout the year like they do in Tokyo would help to keep interest up.

MK's 4 animatronic shows do their job of giving people something to do while waiting for something else.

lazyboy97o

I'm about to get crucified.

Replacing Country Bear Jamboree with a relevant popular IP would help improve MK capacity in the short term.
Filling in a few extra seats would not appreciably help improve anything. If anything, you you would make things worse because you would create crowding in the area and remove an offering that was previously available as desired. Parks need slack capacity that is generally available, not just as something extra to just fill in part of a day but to help handle overflow when capacity is temporarily lost.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Talking to a few of my friends in Imagineering, I get the sense that they are currently very, very busy on an unannounced/unconfirmed project.

Not sure if it's this one, but they seem to be cooking up something exciting over at Imagineering.
Our insiders have always said they're working on stuff that we don't know about. It all depends if it ever gets a greenlight and a budget.

Bocabear

RE: permanently docking and turning the riverboat into a restaurant, the river boat looks big, but it really is not...especially if they considered making it into a restaurant. it would not seat enough guests to make it worthwhile...and really, in the film, the restaurant was pretty big, and would have to handle huge crowds...

Dutch Inn '76

It's a positive that they intend to eventually expand into this gap north of BTMRR, even if this "announcement" is just brainstorming. An old southwest/Spanish theme would work as an extension of Frontierland. Using elements from Coco, Encanto, Saludos Amigos, Three Caballeros, Home on the Range, and even Apple Dumpling Gang would be fun. I just hope they don't make it all about one film...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom