News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Lilofan

What, just because credit card debt reached new highs in Q3 2022 and savings have been drained because of inflation? Everything is fine! Disney is invincible! Everyone will continue taking WDW vacations like never before!
A gym rat buddy of mine is up to his eye balls in credit card debt, making minimum payments , took out loans to finance his convertible , vacations etc . He is proud of the fact he leads this lifestyle.

LittleBuford

You're right, I wasn't very clear with that, and the fact police have apparently issued a warrant for my arrest.

What I meant was when I read current articles about Disney - whether it's stock prices or financial performance or streaming related or (insert topic about Disney here) on Forbes or Market Watch or Barron's or Motley Fool or Facebook or Instagram or (insert other sources here), "most" and what seems like to me a "majority" of the opinions expressed in the comments (which I was referring to in my original post) are statements like "go woke, go broke" or "Canceled my Woke Disney long ago." etc.......

In fact, here's a link to the first one I just pulled up - I'm sure the fact police can easily count the number of comments and issue another arrest warrant for semantics violations but my point is outside their own comfort zone the number of comments I see about people "leaving" Disney because they say Disney is "woke" can't be ignored:

Just from that link:

View attachment 684052
I think we’re on very shaky ground indeed when we treat a comments section as representative of society at large.

pdude81

Ummmmmmmm..................... ok. I suppose that holds true for our little universe here as well.
I don't want to stray too far into the political, but it's kind of how you see a ton of people at a rally but given that they are less than 1% of the population, that doesn't speak to the election outcome. The people who want to yell and scream do so, while others may yawn. A ton of people now are screaming about woke Disney and how they cancelled everything, yet subscriber counts are rising on Disney+ and the parks are full.

It's also how you see Randy Fine on the Disney Wish. That's even matching up a real person to their comments, and then when push comes to shove they do something else. If you want to count something, count the money.

Laketravis

I don't want to stray too far into the political, but it's kind of how you see a ton of people at a rally but given that they are less than 1% of the population, that doesn't speak to the election outcome. The people who want to yell and scream do so, while others may yawn. A ton of people now are screaming about woke Disney and how they cancelled everything, yet subscriber counts are rising on Disney+ and the parks are full.

It's also how you see Randy Fine on the Disney Wish. That's even matching up a real person to their comments, and then when push comes to shove they do something else. If you want to count something, count the money.

No argument. I just think that seeing a large amount (to me) of those types of comments is alarming and I'm sharing what I'm seeing.

My response was to another poster who said Disney doesn't want them back. I'm sure at some point if opinions like that spread and can be attributed to a decline in financials, Disney will most certainly want them back.

(Hard to stay away from politics and still be able to make our points on this)

ETA: Let's talk about your "the parks are full" comment - are you talking about a feeling or actual attendance numbers? I'm under the impression actual attendance is down, yet the way Disney throttles park capacity can still make them feel "full".

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
A ton of people now are screaming about woke Disney and how they cancelled everything, yet subscriber counts are rising on Disney+ and the parks are full.
Are you joking? 99% of the content on THIS BOARD in the last three years has been about how Bob Chapek has burned the guest experience to the ground with Genie+ and Magical Express and refusal to build new attractions and every other thing. But, as you say, "the parks are full."

It's a non-falsifiable premise, of course. Subs are growing on Disney+ but anyone can throw out speculation that they'd be growing faster if not for X, Y, or Z.

Sir_Cliff

Yes, let's just say you see the most 'motivated' individuals taking part in online comment sections.

If Internet comment sections are representative of how the population at large thinks and feels, then god helps us all.

LittleBuford

Are you joking? 99% of the content on THIS BOARD in the last three years has been about how Bob Chapek has burned the guest experience to the ground with Genie+ and Magical Express and refusal to build new attractions and every other thing. But, as you say, "the parks are full."

It's a non-falsifiable premise, of course. Subs are growing on Disney+ but anyone can throw out speculation that they'd be growing faster if not for X, Y, or Z.
Exactly. And do you think, for example, that the anti-Chapek sentiment that is so widespread here is in any way representative of what people out there in the real world feel about Disney? Do you think most people even know who Chapek is?

Online communities are self-selecting tribes rather than microcosms. This one is better than most.

Sir_Cliff

Exactly. And do you think, for example, that the anti-Chapek sentiment that is so widespread here is in any way representative of what people out there in the real world think of Disney? Do you think most people even know who Chapek is?

Online communities are self-selecting tribes rather than microcosms. This one is better than most.
100%. That's part of the reason there are so many posts instructing people not to go to WDW: there is rarely much of if any correlation between the reaction to various decisions made by Disney on here to how people out there in the 'real world' react.

el_super

but my point is outside their own comfort zone the number of comments I see about people "leaving" Disney because they say Disney is "woke" can't be ignored:

They can and they generally should be. There is no standard for posting these comments and no way to verify how many of these people were actually Disney customers previously (and/or to what degree they spent on Disney products) or whether they are actually not spending on Disney today.

It's possible something COULD come of this sentiment at a future date, but we would need to look at other more scientific surveys (if they are ever done) or actual objective reporting, such as a downturn in Disney revenues or changes in content direction to discern if there was ever a noticible impact.

Ummmmmmmm..................... ok. I suppose that holds true for our little universe here as well.

Generally... yes. How many people have said they will never go back to the parks? Parks are still busy. People here will point to fan outrage all day and night but it usually translates into exactly nothing in the real world.

el_super

ETA: Let's talk about your "the parks are full" comment - are you talking about a feeling or actual attendance numbers? I'm under the impression actual attendance is down, yet the way Disney throttles park capacity can still make them feel "full".

Again, Generally though: the parks are full to the level that Disney wants them full. Their price increases and reservations have had a negative impact on attendance to be sure, but it hasn't done anything to curb the demand. The demand is still too exceptionally high.

Laketravis

They can and they generally should be. There is no standard for posting these comments and no way to verify how many of these people were actually Disney customers previously (and/or to what degree they spent on Disney products) or whether they are actually not spending on Disney today.

It's possible something COULD come of this sentiment at a future date, but we would need to look at other more scientific surveys (if they are ever done) or actual objective reporting, such as a downturn in Disney revenues or changes in content direction to discern if there was ever a noticible impact.

Generally... yes. How many people have said they will never go back to the parks? Parks are still busy. People here will point to fan outrage all day and night but it usually translates into exactly nothing in the real world.

Public sentiment - whether right or wrong - has an impact. And I'm in the camp who believes the parks are not "still busy" - they just feel that way because of how capacity is manipulated.

Sentiment such as this will certainly persuade others:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Exactly. And do you think, for example, that the anti-Chapek sentiment that is so widespread here is in any way representative of what people out there in the real world feel about Disney? Do you think most people even know who Chapek is?

100%. That's part of the reason there are so many posts instructing people not to go to WDW: there is rarely much of if any correlation between the reaction to various decisions made by Disney on here to how people out there in the 'real world' react.
Parks are a little bit different because most people don't visit frequently. If some family is planning a 2023 trip, they're thinking back to their last trip in 2016 and saying "hey we loved it back then!" Their opinion of Walt Disney World doesn't update in real time like it does for Media (or like Parks would for people like us who follow it closely and visit often). The damage (or not) done by stuff happening in 2023 isn't going to be felt until years from now when people don't (or do) decide to return.

$10 a month for Disney+ is a much different feedback cycle than $8,000 every 6 years.

In terms of social media comments and that sort of thing, I don't think they're very instructive at a given point in time, but I think there's information contained in how they've changed over time. If you see a cesspool Facebook comments section, it's easy to say "ah, Facebook comments sections are cesspools." But if these particular Facebook comments sections have only become cesspools recently and were previously relatively positive, it's worth asking the question "why?"

SpaceCoastPaul

Parks are a little bit different because most people don't visit frequently. If some family is planning a 2023 trip, they're thinking back to their last trip in 2016 and saying "hey we loved it back then!" Their opinion of Walt Disney World doesn't update in real time like it does for Media (or like Parks would for people like us who follow it closely and visit often). The damage (or not) done by stuff happening in 2023 isn't going to be felt until years from now when people don't (or do) decide to return.

$10 a month for Disney+ is a much different feedback cycle than $8,000 every 6 years.

In terms of social media comments and that sort of thing, I don't think they're very instructive at a given point in time, but I think there's information contained in how they've changed over time. If you see a cesspool Facebook comments section, it's easy to say "ah, Facebook comments sections are cesspools." But if these particular Facebook comments sections have only become cesspools recently and were previously relatively positive, it's worth asking the question "why?"
If only it was $8,000. WDW has become inhospitable for all but the most affluent households. Works out if you did DVC back in the day (we did). And this isn't my imagination-- it was the aim of Chapek-- and I don't think he was alone. Walt is spinning.

Laketravis

To your point, positive articles like this normally contained comments of support and agreement from like-minded fans.

But now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom