News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Rutt

Not in a free version. I cant see them passing up that revenue stream. Fix system maybe include every ride & finally start adding capacity
I don't see the attendance improving until it does. Or at least something similar to the Universal one where you pay one price for the day kinda thing.

Start with bringing back the Magic Express though and I may come back ;)

Laketravis

I'd like to see a simple bar chart of annual park attendance from, say, 2010 to 2021.

From the info I've seen, there wasn't a skyrocketing growth in attendance. In fact, it's been relatively flat since 2015 (indicating some negative impact from the many changes between 2012-2015?) until dropping drastically in 2020 (Covid) and only partially recovering in 2021. And as others have pointed out, there is resort availability this week. Thanksgiving week. In the words of Elon Musk - "Let that sink in".

Did WDW artificially manufacture "demand" via yield manipulation? Make it "feel" more crowded than it actually was?

In other words, maybe they are seeing a trend. Squeezing more revenue from a diminishing base eventually crashes and burns.

BobPar

I don't see the attendance improving until it does. Or at least something similar to the Universal one where you pay one price for the day kinda thing.

Start with bringing back the Magic Express though and I may come back ;)
I never used ME once but to me it was one if the dumbest decisions they could have made as a company. Easily could have hid that cost or part of it within ticket prices or room rates and people would have been none the wiser. Heck they were most likely doing that already. Another $ grab charge for parking force people to possibly rent a car and make $ that way as well.

CaptinEO

The first part is true…

Where it crumbles is chapek was there because Iger left in a rush two weeks before Covid shut the world down.

Coward. That is documented too. The government knew in December at the latest…so Wall Street knew 3 minutes later
Iger didn't leave though he was still a part of the company.

I do agree though Iger's ego made it so he made himself out to be Disney's savior so he left Chapek a company in tons debt and in a starting pandemic, to not stain his own legacy.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Senior Walt Disney executives led a rebellion against chief executive Bob Chapek in recent weeks, which resulted in his ousting and replacement with predecessor Bob Iger, according to people familiar with the matter.

The covert campaign to overthrow Chapek, which began in the summer, came after the outgoing chief executive lost the confidence of some members of his top team during a tumultuous 33 months at the helm of the media empire.

“A lot of people were approaching the board, Iger loyalists who felt marginalised,” said one person with knowledge of the talks.

Shares in Walt Disney rallied by as much as 10 per cent on Monday as investors wagered that Iger, one of America’s most celebrated media executives, could lift morale and boost returns at the company’s costly streaming unit. The company’s stock price remained up more than 5 per cent in early afternoon trading in New York.

Disney executives began approaching the board, which is chaired by Susan Arnold, a few months ago to express concerns about Chapek’s leadership. Christine McCarthy, chief financial officer, was among the executives who complained, three of the people said. Disney declined to comment.

“[The board] were clueless about what to do,” one person added.

The final straw was Disney’s bruising earnings release on November 8, during which Chapek reported that the company’s streaming business had lost $1.5bn during the most recent quarter. Three days later, Chapek announced job cuts, telling staff in an email: “We are going to have to make tough and uncomfortable decisions.”

Iger, who ran Disney for 15 years before leaving in 2021, stunned Hollywood on Sunday night by agreeing to replace Chapek. Iger had handpicked Chapek as his successor after he won plaudits for his management of Disney’s theme parks division.

The changes at the top come after the company’s stock had fallen by nearly 40 per cent this year as Disney and others spent heavily to compete in streaming, a business that has been costly and less profitable than cable television or cinema.

Relations between the “two Bobs” quickly soured as Iger bristled over Chapek’s handling of Disney’s creative output and his management shake-up, which introduced more centralised decision making and empowered Chapek’s allies.

The decision to reinstate Iger, brokered by Arnold, came less than six months after Disney renewed Chapek’s contract for a further three years, quelling speculation of a potential exit. People close to Chapek said he became aware of the moves against him some weeks ago but was caught off guard by the speed of events.

The abrupt dismissal will entitle Chapek to a significant payout. Under his old contract, at the end of 2021 he was entitled to an estimated $54mn in cash and stock in the event of early termination. The company has not published the full details of his most recent contract."

Full article -

flynnibus

Premium Member
In other words, maybe they are seeing a trend. Squeezing more revenue from a diminishing base eventually crashes and burns.
Trend? it was their business plan.

Get more money per person through raised prices and upsells
Sell the message that any drop in demand is you trying to address customer concerns about crowding
Weed out the lower yield customers in favor of customers willing to spend more (AP limits vs ticket purchasers)

They've been selling this story for years now... 'unprecedented demand' almost REQUIRING them to raise prices.

Mmoore29

Considering that one of the largest complaints was Chapek's centralization of budgetary authority and it apparently rolled up to Daniel, I can't imagine he's long for the C-Suite IF Iger is going to be tasked with and/or has the free reign to start rolling back Chapek modifications to Disney's operating structure. That being said, I will be very interested to see if Iger brings back Zenia or any of his other top lieutenants, as that will tell you a lot about the direction he's been tasked to take.

The real key will be if Iger rolls that back, he will most likely start rolling back other centralization plans/activities, and we will see what happens when D'Amaro has free reign over parks, like Chapek did when he was President of DPEP. D'Amaro is an interesting figure. As stated earlier he was extremely well-liked as President of DL and WDW, but has suddenly gotten a bad image (and it was very interesting that @Disney Analyst noted he was against monetizing FP+, which if true shows he does somewhat care about the guest experience and the effect that would have on CM's). If he has free reign to run DPEP the way he thinks it should be run within the confines of Iger's mandates from the Board, it could be a very positive thing. Or, I could be 100% wrong about this -who knows.

In regards to how quickly this happens, I have seen it happen in large organizations a lot (and it's happened in mine) where someone is removed quickly, and you don't have a choice but to find someone that understands how the organization runs and can function on day one with no on-the-job training. There's really only one person that fit that bill, and it was Iger (and to an extent, Eisner - but he's so far removed from how the company operates now it would have been hard for him to get into the weeds on day one without time). I do think that if the cast reaction is in anyway accurate, that is a good thing, if not for nothing but morale for Disney's employees.

The reality is, Iger is better than Chapek, and right now I'll take the "just okay/somewhat bad" over the awful that was Bald Bob and his reign of terror as CEO of TWDC.
Well, at least Chapek wasn't as bad as David Zaslav over at WB. That's a very low bar to clear, but still. Over there, it's an absolute dumpster fire.

BTW, in case you're wondering what video from the ABC News website I had linked to in my "theoretical email to Iger" that no longer works, it's the full two-hour interview that Josh Elliott did of former Penn State president Graham Spanier in August 2012, which Spanier undertook to defend himself from criticism. Obviously a very big interview, which ABC had made available to view at the end of 2013, during Spanier's trial, but it no longer works.

Furthermore, ABCNEWS VideoSource should also really be improved further, in allowing access to raw interview material.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
"Senior Walt Disney executives led a rebellion against chief executive Bob Chapek in recent weeks, which resulted in his ousting and replacement with predecessor Bob Iger, according to people familiar with the matter.

The covert campaign to overthrow Chapek, which began in the summer, came after the outgoing chief executive lost the confidence of some members of his top team during a tumultuous 33 months at the helm of the media empire.

“A lot of people were approaching the board, Iger loyalists who felt marginalised,” said one person with knowledge of the talks.

Shares in Walt Disney rallied by as much as 10 per cent on Monday as investors wagered that Iger, one of America’s most celebrated media executives, could lift morale and boost returns at the company’s costly streaming unit. The company’s stock price remained up more than 5 per cent in early afternoon trading in New York.

Disney executives began approaching the board, which is chaired by Susan Arnold, a few months ago to express concerns about Chapek’s leadership. Christine McCarthy, chief financial officer, was among the executives who complained, three of the people said. Disney declined to comment.

“[The board] were clueless about what to do,” one person added.

The final straw was Disney’s bruising earnings release on November 8, during which Chapek reported that the company’s streaming business had lost $1.5bn during the most recent quarter. Three days later, Chapek announced job cuts, telling staff in an email: “We are going to have to make tough and uncomfortable decisions.”

Iger, who ran Disney for 15 years before leaving in 2021, stunned Hollywood on Sunday night by agreeing to replace Chapek. Iger had handpicked Chapek as his successor after he won plaudits for his management of Disney’s theme parks division.

The changes at the top come after the company’s stock had fallen by nearly 40 per cent this year as Disney and others spent heavily to compete in streaming, a business that has been costly and less profitable than cable television or cinema.

Relations between the “two Bobs” quickly soured as Iger bristled over Chapek’s handling of Disney’s creative output and his management shake-up, which introduced more centralised decision making and empowered Chapek’s allies.

The decision to reinstate Iger, brokered by Arnold, came less than six months after Disney renewed Chapek’s contract for a further three years, quelling speculation of a potential exit. People close to Chapek said he became aware of the moves against him some weeks ago but was caught off guard by the speed of events.

The abrupt dismissal will entitle Chapek to a significant payout. Under his old contract, at the end of 2021 he was entitled to an estimated $54mn in cash and stock in the event of early termination. The company has not published the full details of his most recent contract."

Full article -

I'm in no way sympathizing with Chapek, but his biggest mistake was that he should have immediately purged anyone loyal to Iger from the company.

Seems clear now that McCarthy's supposed gaffs in the press maybe weren't so much gaffs but very public ways of making Chapek look very bad.

I mean she does after all look like a Disney Cartoon villain right??

01_Christine_McCarthy.jpg

Laketravis

I'm in no way sympathizing with Chapek, but his biggest mistake was that he should have immediately purged anyone loyal to Iger from the company.

Seems clear now that McCarthy's supposed gaffs in the press maybe weren't so much gaffs but very public ways of making Chapek look very bad.

I mean she does after all look like a Disney Cartoon villain right??

01_Christine_McCarthy.jpg
That's not a face I think I could ever trust...........

denyuntilcaught

Well, at least Chapek wasn't as bad as David Zaslav over at WB. That's a very low bar to clear, but still. Over there, it's an absolute dumpster fire.
Completely agree, and I think that's relatively part of why Iger works - at least for the time being. Z

Zaslav is a more extreme Chapek to some extent, when it comes to prioritizing business over people in the most obvious and egregious manner. Yes, we know that's how it works in business and for Wall Street, but the secret is pretending otherwise. No one told that to Chapek, however, and its only working for Zaslav for the moment.

If the WB + Discovery+ launch next year flops and promised efficiencies don't come to fruition, Zaslav may want to ask Chapek about some hobbies to do amid an abundance of free-time.

Iger is liked. I'm not saying we like his choices, but he is liked by Wall Street, by Hollywood, by the news cycle, and by the broader fandom to an extent.

Perception is a game that can be very rewarding to all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom