PRIDE: Community

BuddyThomas

We should indeed. But we can't because it was a massive failure at the box office. Less than 4% of gay adults in this country even went to see Bros, let alone the straight romcom audiences who avoided it even more.

As of today, Sunday the 23rd, it just got cut from another 1,500 theaters this weekend and fell off a cliff to 16th place at the box office. It's behind Top Gun and Minions this weekend, and they've been out since summer.

The movie that Bros debuted with on the same day, Smile, is still at #3 this weekend for its third week in theaters. So why would any movie studio ever greenlight another gay romcom for the rest of this decade?!? Bros has probably damaged the mid-term future gay movie market by at least 50%; any movie exec worth his cocaine habit won't be greenlighting any gay comedies anytime soon. Bros and Mr. Eichner's messy and insulting marketing is responsible for that. 😡

View attachment 674521
If you are actually gay, and I have my doubts about that, you are part of the problem. Instead of being supportive of a landmark gay movie released by Universal Studios, you are as giddy as a goose that it did not meet box office expectations.

Why???????????

If it was a terrible film, maybe I would understand, but it is hysterical and wonderful and has received fantastic reviews everywhere.

And yet you keep hijacking this thread that was created to be supportive to the LGBTQ community in order to post a lot of garbage about a film that you have not even seen, and one you have declared you will not see.

Well you must have your reasons for this. I have no idea what you are attempt accomplish here with all of these posts, but as Figgy said above, “let it go”.

And as to your ridiculous assertion that this is the end of gay themed movies, another gay rom com is coming out this December from Focus Features called Spoiler Alert. You better go hide under your bed.

BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas

We should indeed. But we can't because it was a massive failure at the box office. Less than 4% of gay adults in this country even went to see Bros, let alone the straight romcom audiences who avoided it even more.

As of today, Sunday the 23rd, it just got cut from another 1,500 theaters this weekend and fell off a cliff to 16th place at the box office. It's behind Top Gun and Minions this weekend, and they've been out since summer.

The movie that Bros debuted with on the same day, Smile, is still at #3 this weekend for its third week in theaters. So why would any movie studio ever greenlight another gay romcom for the rest of this decade?!? Bros has probably damaged the mid-term future gay movie market by at least 50%; any movie exec worth his cocaine habit won't be greenlighting any gay comedies anytime soon. Bros and Mr. Eichner's messy and insulting marketing is responsible for that. 😡

View attachment 674521
Ohhhhhh noooooo. People are watching it. 🙄🙄🙄

Last edited:

TP2000

If you are actually gay, and I have my doubts about that, you are part of the problem.

You got me. I joined this forum in 2003 and for 19 years as I gained many, many friends here I lied to all of them about being an aging gay man so that eventually, in 2022, I could post factual yet inconvenient truths about the box office performance of a gay romcom.

I've been waiting 19 years for this moment, living a lie as a gay, and I finally pounced! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have sex with my wife and then watch sports while she makes me a sandwich. 🤠

(For a fun giggle, try searching for "heterosexual" in the emoji options here. Nothing came up, so I just had to go with the cowboy! 🤣 )

Instead of being supportive of a landmark gay movie released by Universal Studios, you are as giddy as a goose that it did not meet box office expectations.

Why???????????

Because I refuse to pretend that Mr. Eichner's insulting and offensive marketing of his R rated movie was the right thing for a gay person to do. If the movie was truly great, he should have let his art speak for itself, instead of going on bizarre Twitter rages saying that anyone who didn't see his movie was a "homophobe weirdo".

As you can see from the box office data that is irrefutable, even if every single ticket to Bros was sold to a gay person, only 4% of 2SLGBTQQIA+ people in America bought a ticket to Bros.

So not only are the straights in America homophobe weirdos, but 96% of gay Americans are also homophobe weirdos? That's not a good way to market your movie.
And as to your ridiculous assertion that this is the end of gay themed movies, another gay rom com is coming out this December from Focus Features called Spoiler Alert. You better go hide under your bed.

Don't worry, we will discuss that upcoming film in six weeks. I thank you for tipping me off to it actually, because the compare/contrast to Bros disastrous financial performance will be really interesting to discuss for us here!

I'm making a mental note of it to come back for the compare/contrast. Is this upcoming gay romcom also rated R and filled with raunchy sexual jokes and nudity? Or is it more subtle/polite and a more typical PG-13 romcom?

TP2000

A shattered heart I now have.

That news made me stop in my tracks yesterday. So sad. He and Karen (and Jack) were really the only reason to watch Will & Grace 20 years ago. Why they even had to have Will and Grace as characters I don't know, when they had such comedy brilliance in Karen and Jack and with fabulous supporting folks like Leslie Jordan.

That said, I was shocked to learn he was only 67! He already looked like he was in his 60's back during Will & Grace twenty years ago, and I saw some of his hilarious YouTube stuff he did during Covid. I thought he was at least 80 by now.

He didn't look bad, he just looked older than he was. Especially for Southern California.

TP2000

Ohhhhhh noooooo. People are watching it. 🙄🙄🙄

I'm sure a few are watching it via streaming. Last night I made a steak salad and watched a streaming documentary about the mega earthquake fault off the Oregon coast. Niche entertainment, to be sure.

But Universal didn't spend $20 Million on the Bros production budget, then another $30 Million on its marketing budget, to only make $11 Million in ticket sales before sending it to streaming and the $3 DVD bin at WalMart.

Sending Bros to streaming only 3 weeks after it opened was not the original business plan that got the movie greenlighted and budgeted in the first place.

Hell, it's not the business plan for any movie that doesn't involve sharknados. 🤣

Figgy1

Premium Member
Rainbow Pride GIF by Archer Malmo

BuddyThomas

I'm sure a few are watching it via streaming. Last night I made a steak salad and watched a streaming documentary about the mega earthquake fault off the Oregon coast. Niche entertainment, to be sure.

But Universal didn't spend $20 Million on the Bros production budget, then another $30 Million on its marketing budget, to only make $11 Million in ticket sales before sending it to streaming and the $3 DVD bin at WalMart.

Sending Bros to streaming only 3 weeks after it opened was not the original business plan that got the movie greenlighted and budgeted in the first place.

Hell, it's not the business plan for any movie that doesn't involve sharknados. 🤣
There is an issue deeper going on here than you can’t stop hate talking about a movie you have never seen. An issue much deeper.

BuddyThomas

You got me. I joined this forum in 2003 and for 19 years as I gained many, many friends here I lied to all of them about being an aging gay man so that eventually, in 2022, I could post factual yet inconvenient truths about the box office performance of a gay romcom.

I've been waiting 19 years for this moment, living a lie as a gay, and I finally pounced! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have sex with my wife and then watch sports while she makes me a sandwich. 🤠

(For a fun giggle, try searching for "heterosexual" in the emoji options here. Nothing came up, so I just had to go with the cowboy! 🤣 )

Because I refuse to pretend that Mr. Eichner's insulting and offensive marketing of his R rated movie was the right thing for a gay person to do. If the movie was truly great, he should have let his art speak for itself, instead of going on bizarre Twitter rages saying that anyone who didn't see his movie was a "homophobe weirdo".

As you can see from the box office data that is irrefutable, even if every single ticket to Bros was sold to a gay person, only 4% of 2SLGBTQQIA+ people in America bought a ticket to Bros.

So not only are the straights in America homophobe weirdos, but 96% of gay Americans are also homophobe weirdos? That's not a good way to market your movie.

Don't worry, we will discuss that upcoming film in six weeks. I thank you for tipping me off to it actually, because the compare/contrast to Bros disastrous financial performance will be really interesting to discuss for us here!

I'm making a mental note of it to come back for the compare/contrast. Is this upcoming gay romcom also rated R and filled with raunchy sexual jokes and nudity? Or is it more subtle/polite and a more typical PG-13 romcom?
Do your own research. I already posted the trailer for Spoiler Alert. You must have been going too hysterical about a movie you have not seen to notice. As for your assertion that Bros is filled with raunchy comedy and nudity, it has no more raunchy comedy and nudity than Trainwreck, Bridesmaids, The 40 Year Old Virgin, etc (those filmmakers made THIS movie, by the way). Why should straight movies have all the fun and the gays get stuck with nothing but doomed cowboys? (That is a running joke in the movie you refuse to see but apparently know everything about).

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Do your own research. I already posted the trailer for Spoiler Alert. You must have been going too hysterical about a movie you have not seen to notice. As for your assertion that Bros is filled with raunchy comedy and nudity, it has no more raunchy comedy and nudity than Trainwreck, Bridesmaids, The 40 Year Old Virgin, etc (those filmmakers made THIS movie, by the way). Why should straight movies have all the fun and the gays get stuck with nothing but doomed cowboys? (That is a running joke in the movie you refuse to see but apparently know everything about).
Is it wrong that I laughed at your "doomed cowboys" remark?

TP2000

Is it wrong that I laughed at your "doomed cowboys" remark?

I laughed too. 🤣

I did see Brokeback Mountain. I thought it was pretty good, although a bit dreary for the last half. That was back in the 2000's when I still went to see movies in actual theaters every couple months.

BuddyThomas

I laughed too. 🤣

I did see Brokeback Mountain. I thought it was pretty good, although a bit dreary for the last half. That was back in the 2000's when I still went to see movies in actual theaters every couple months.
Not just Brokeback Mountain- almost the entire history of gay movies has been about tragedy:

Brokeback Mountain, Milk, Boys Don’t Cry, Philadelphia, The Children’s Hour, The Talented Mr Ripley, Behind the Candelabra, Keep the Lights On, Gia, Death in Venice, Monster, The Crying Game, Aimée & Jaguar, Holding the Man, The Danish Girl, Longtime Companion, Circumstance, The Normal Heart, Heavenly Creatures - just to name a few.

This is why Bros is so welcome and why it is so infuriating that you continue to disparage it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

BuddyThomas

If anyone wants to know where to find me tomorrow night.......she's playing the same theatre my off-Broadway play was in 2010, which is crazy. Based on attending other Melissa Etheridge concerts, I fully expect to be the only guy there in a sea of lesbians.

Melissa.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom