PRIDE: Community

TP2000

Not just Brokeback Mountain- almost the entire history of gay movies has been about tragedy:

Brokeback Mountain, Milk, Boys Don’t Cry, Philadelphia, The Children’s Hour, The Talented Mr Ripley, Behind the Candelabra, Keep the Lights On, Gia, Death in Venice, Monster, The Crying Game, Aimée & Jaguar, Holding the Man, The Danish Girl, Longtime Companion, Circumstance, The Normal Heart, Heavenly Creatures - just to name a few.

I may not be 100% accurate here, but I think I only saw Brokeback Mountain out of that list of movies. Many of those movie titles are completely unknown to me; they might as well be in French.

I do have the entire Doris Day/Rock Hudson romcom series from 1959-1964 on DVD though, if that helps.
This is why Bros is so welcome and why it is so infuriating that you continue to disparage it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

What's fascinating about your train of thought is that I haven't disparaged the content of Bros as a movie. How could I when I haven't even seen it? I have merely pointed out that it bombed at the box office, and statistically that only 4% of gays in the United States actually saw it. But that really seems to bother you, even though my statements on Bros box office performance have only been based in facts and irrefutable hard data.

I mean honestly, facts are facts. Or do you want to pretend Bros was a giant hit and everyone loves us gays and our new R-rated romcoms? Because that seems... delusional and unhealthy. 🤔

TP2000

If anyone wants to know where to find me tomorrow night.......she's playing the same theatre my off-Broadway play was in 2010, which is crazy. Based on attending other Melissa Etheridge concerts, I fully expect to be the only guy there in a sea of lesbians.

View attachment 674947

Okay, so here's something where we could bond!

My dearest friend in the world is a Lesbian. We were friends since the 1970's, when gays and Lesbians rarely inter-mingled. But we hit it off. And we went to many corporate dinners and social events as a "couple" in the closing decades of the 20th century.

She got married very late in life about 10 years ago. The wedding was in a lavish horse farm in the Pacific Northwest. It was catered by a celebrity Seattle chef (Tom Douglas). When you arrived at the horse farm, artisanal bartenders made you a swanky cocktail and you went in to the stable to have a seat in your assigned row. There was a Lesbian DJ in the back playing Melissa Etheridge.... very loud! The brides arrived into the upper level of the horse barn via the old hay elevator that had been outfitted with fog machines and LED lighting, and the DJ swelled the Melissa Etheridge even louder to celebrate their arrival. The ceremony was officiated by a half dozen members of the Seattle chapter of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Also, there were glow sticks attached to each seat that were waved about at the end of the ceremony with extra fog machines.

At the glamorous and lavishly catered dinner-reception afterwards, I stood and gave a toast to my dear friend as her parents were no longer with us. (I had been a favorite of her mom decades ago) But in my speech I specifically asked if we could have the DJ play something other than Melissa Etheridge, and it brought the house down in laughter. Even Lesbians have a sense of humor! 🤣

TP2000

I made it out to the patio again today, with a fresh batch of hummingbird food for the little guys.

So as I enjoy the sea breeze and the new birds arriving from their autumn flights down from Canada, I did some research for us here.

Spoiler Alert is not a romcom, it's a dramatic love story. It's a clever title because the protagonist in the movie dies at the end; it's a story of the last 11 months of his life after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. So, no, it's not solely a comedy. It isn't rated yet, but I imagine it will be PG-13, unless they put in a lot of swearing and sex. I think even PG-13's get some salty language now, don't they?

It will be released just after Thanksgiving.

Oh, also, Sally Field is in it! The other two main actors are unknown to me, but I do love the Flying Nun.

BuddyThomas

I made it out to the patio again today, with a fresh batch of hummingbird food for the little guys.

So as I enjoy the sea breeze and the new birds arriving from their autumn flights down from Canada, I did some research for us here.

Spoiler Alert is not a romcom, it's a dramatic love story. It's a clever title because the protagonist in the movie dies at the end; it's a story of the last 11 months of his life after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. So, no, it's not solely a comedy. It isn't rated yet, but I imagine it will be PG-13, unless they put in a lot of swearing and sex. I think even PG-13's get some salty language now, don't they?

Oh, also, Sally Field is in it! The other two main actors are unknown to me, but I do love the Flying Nun.
Yup, and what’s your point?

BuddyThomas

Just chattin'. The hummingbirds also say hi to the gang here!
Well Spoiler Alert is directed by Michael Showalter who did The Big Sick, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Hello My Name is Doris (also with Sally Field), Wet Hot American Summer and a bunch of other stuff. He’s a great director who directed Jessica Chastain to an Academy Award win. Spoiler Alert is still a rom com whether or not someone dies at the end, which is definitely implied but not confirmed.

Even though I am not a Jim Parsons fan, I will definitely be seeing this.

BuddyThomas

Well Spoiler Alert is directed by Michael Showalter who did The Big Sick, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Hello My Name is Doris (also with Sally Field), Wet Hot American Summer and a bunch of other stuff. He’s a great director who directed Jessica Chastain to an Academy Award win. Spoiler Alert is still a rom com whether or not someone dies at the end, which is definitely implied but not confirmed.

Edit: it’s based on a memoir called “Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies” by Michael Ausiello, so the martini shaking dog was apparently correct that one of them died at the end.

TP2000

I loved The Eyes of Tammy Faye! That's the only movie in that list that I've seen.

In the 1980's I used to watch PTL constantly, just to see Tammy's makeup and hear her sing. It was a hysterical way to spend a Sunday afternoon! This was decades before "brunch" became a cultural thing, so mostly my social circle just sat around watching church TV on Sunday's. Tammy Faye Bakker was truly a wonderful woman, and quite talented in her own right. And that makeup! Fabulous.

sddefault.jpg

Figgy1

Premium Member

IMHO we'll have to wait for confirmation on the plot but imho a rom com can have a death edit: I was wrong and there is confirmation
Sally field:inlove: Gidget was on in repeats one year when I was a kid so I watched with my grandmother
Jim Parsons is ok as an actor, but I did enjoy BBT

Last edited:

TP2000

I had to take down all my feeders back in September because the bears go after them:( Waves hi! to your hummingbirds

Oh my gosh, how exciting! I love watching those YouTube videos of bears wandering around backyards and getting into people's pools and stuff. Hilarious!

But I can understand that you don't want to encourage that bearish behavior.

Here in La Jolla we have some beautiful seabirds, but mostly just hummingbirds on their Canada-To-Baja commuter run, and little lizards that sun themselves on the patio and adorable rabbits that hide in the shrubbery. There are some coyotes that come down into town from the hills after Midnight, and they can cause a cat or two to go missing. Otherwise, this is a very tame neighborhood.

BuddyThomas

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm off to Wilmington today to see Anastasia at the beautiful Wilson Center and enjoy some craft brews after! I need a break from my little provincial life.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Nominations for Billboard’s Hollywood Music in Media Awards are out:

Song - Feature Film:

“Lift Me Up” from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Written by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler, and Ludwig Göransson. Performed by Rihanna.

“(You Made it Feel Like) Home” from Bones and All. Written by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross. Performed by Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Mariqueen Maandig Reznor.

“Love Is Not Love” from Bros. Written by Billy Eichner & Marc Shaiman. Performed by Billy Eichner.

“Do a Little Good” from Spirited. Written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. Performed by Ryan Reynolds, Will Ferrell, Sunita Mani, Patrick Page and Tracy Morgan.

“Stand Up” from Till. Written by Jazmine Sullivan and D’Mile. Performed by Jazmine Sullivan.

“Hold My Hand” from Top Gun: Maverick. Written by Lady Gaga & BloodPop. Performed by Lady Gaga.

“Carolina” from Where the Crawdads Sing. Written and performed by Taylor Swift.

“new body rhumba” from White Noise. Written by James Murphy, Nancy Whang, Patrick Mahoney. Performed by LCD Soundsystem.

“The Songcord” from Avatar: The Way of Water. Written by Simon Franglen. Performed by Zoe Saldana

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom