PRIDE: Community

TP2000

Pretty sure this thread is meant to be a supportive environment, not a place for people to repeatedly go on about the box office performance of a movie they didn't see.

Maybe this isn't the place for you if all you want to do is repeat the same thing over and over.

I find it fascinating how 2SLGBTQQIA+ folks have changed their lot in this country over the last few decades. I also find it interesting that an R-rated gay romcom can be allowed to flop when the vast majority of gay folks didn't go see it.

That's news. Gay news. It deserves to be discussed, even if the facts are not comfy for some.

The massive box office failure of the year's (decade's?) biggest gay movie is news. :)

But on the bright side, I can easily enjoy and celebrate really fun gay entertainment. Take this little nugget I found this week on YouTube, for example. It's from March, 1968, when Liberace "turned on" and went hippy on the Red Skelton Hour variety show.

This little musical number is hysterical, and it doesn't get gayer than this! 🤣

Wendy Pleakley

I find it fascinating how 2SLGBTQQIA+ folks have changed their lot in this country over the last few decades. I also find it interesting that an R-rated gay romcom can be allowed to flop when the vast majority of gay folks didn't go see it.

That's news. Gay news. It deserves to be discussed, even if the facts are not comfy for some.

The massive box office failure of the year's (decade's?) biggest gay movie is news. :)

But on the bright side, I can easily enjoy and celebrate really fun gay entertainment. Take this little nugget I found this week on YouTube, for example. It's from March, 1968, when Liberace "turned on" and went hippy on the Red Skelton Hour variety show.

This little musical number is hysterical, and it doesn't get gayer than this! 🤣

Constantly pointing out the box office isn't discussion. Feels more like gloating or trolling.

The Empress Lilly

I can't imagine why it bombed. 🤔
Romcom's traditional audience is young-ish straight women. Maybe if the next Transformers movies is a love story between two sixty year old women it too will go ignored by the established Transformers audience of adolescent boys.

By all means try to break barriers and experiment with the conventions of your art form. But that belongs to independent cinema. If you're making mainstream popcorn flicks then you're just daft, and not a little arrogant, if you think your message is more important than your audience.

TP2000

All this talk about Bros, a movie I had no interest in seeing (not because it's a gay film but because I generally hate movies), makes me wanna see it ;)

Do it! At this point, Bros needs every single ticket sale it can get.

I'm sure it's not a bad movie. I mean honestly, how bad could it be?

By all means try to break barriers and experiment with the conventions of your art form. But that belongs to independent cinema. If you're making mainstream popcorn flicks then you're just daft, and not a little arrogant, if you think your message is more important than your audience.

I couldn't agree more! The problem is that Bros had a very mainstream budget of $22 Million, plus a marketing budget of $30+ Million. For a romcom headed to American Suburbia Multiplexes starring a not very attractive and relatively unknown star/writer/producer in Mr. Eichner.

At least Mr. Eichner knew a good thing when he sees it, and paired himself with a younger and far hotter co-star and then wrote plotlines that had him making out with and hooking up with that much hotter co-star. Mr. Eichner may be annoying and bad at marketing, but he's not stupid when it comes to casting. You have to give him that! 🤣

But then Mr. Eichner started drunk Tweeting about the horrible straights, and the rest is history. His movie bombed.

Marketing 101: Do Not Insult Your Audience Before Your Movie Opens.

BuddyThomas

Do it! At this point, Bros needs every single ticket sale it can get.

I'm sure it's not a bad movie. I mean honestly, how bad could it be?

I couldn't agree more! The problem is that Bros had a very mainstream budget of $22 Million, plus a marketing budget of $30+ Million. For a romcom headed to American Suburbia Multiplexes starring a not very attractive and relatively unknown star/writer/producer in Mr. Eichner.

At least Mr. Eichner knew a good thing when he sees it, and paired himself with a younger and far hotter co-star and then wrote plotlines that had him making out with and hooking up with that much hotter co-star. Mr. Eichner may be annoying and bad at marketing, but he's not stupid when it comes to casting. You have to give him that! 🤣

But then Mr. Eichner started drunk Tweeting about the horrible straights, and the rest is history. His movie bombed.

Marketing 101: Do Not Insult Your Audience Before Your Movie Opens.
Good lord, why do you keep posting the same crap over and over???? Why do you get off on disparaging something that people have enjoyed? Why is this important to you????? And by the way, as usual, you have some of your facts screwed up. Luke Macfarlane and Billy Eichner are approximately the same age. Now why don’t you go find another thread to troll.

BuddyThomas

Romcom's traditional audience is young-ish straight women. Maybe if the next Transformers movies is a love story between two sixty year old women it too will go ignored by the established Transformers audience of adolescent boys.

Had you actually seen the movie, you would know that this is an actual joke in it. Billy’s character is asked to write a mainstream gay rom com that a straight guy would even like and watch with his girlfriend. His response is: “Something a straight guy would like and watch with his girlfriend?? Am I going to be in a high speed chase and fall in love with Ice Cube? Am I going to be ****ed by Jason Momoa while we’re worrying about a volcano??”

There is also an ongoing joke about the stupid Hallmark movies (here, called Hallheart) and how they are now pandering to gay people by tossing them one watered down gay movie out of every hundred.

Gotta love (or not) the people who keep blabbing and think they are a freaking expert about something they have not seen.

The Empress Lilly

Had you actually seen the movie, you would know that this is an actual joke in it. Billy’s character is asked to write a mainstream gay rom com that a straight guy would even like and watch with his girlfriend. His response is: “Something a straight guy would like and watch with his girlfriend?? Am I going to be in a high speed chase and fall in love with Ice Cube? Am I going to be ****ed by Jason Momoa while we’re worrying about a volcano??”

There is also an ongoing joke about the stupid Hallmark movies (here, called Hallheart) and how they are now pandering to gay people by tossing them one watered down gay movie out of every hundred.

Gotta love (or not) the people who keep blabbing and think they are a freaking expert about something they have not seen.
I'm an expert in knowing why people are not interested in going to see it.

I also understand why nobody goes on holiday in Somalia, despite never having visited there myself or speaking any local language.

It's not the movie I need to know and understand, but the audience that stays away and their perception of the movie and its maker. 😑

BuddyThomas

I'm an expert in knowing why people are not interested in going to see it.

I also understand why nobody goes on holiday in Somalia, despite never having visited there myself or speaking any local language.

It's not the movie I need to know and understand, but the audience that stays away and their perception of the movie and its maker. 😑
Again, talking about something you know nothing about. You and that martini shaking dog should form a little club. Eichner has a huge fan base. Over 2 million Twitter followers. His tv show Difficult People was a big hit and critically acclaimed. Billy on the Street ran for FIVE SEASONS. Producer Judd Apatow and director co-writer Nicholas Stoller are not exactly chopped liver either.

It must be very difficult having nothing better to do with your time than to come on the internet and blab a lot of nonsense about a movie you have not even seen, and this goes for that martini shaking dog too.

The Empress Lilly

I wonder if there is a Somalian tourism forum somewhere in which someone is posting that they don't want to go to Somalia over and over again? 🤔
They just blocked me and told me to go, quote, "bother some Disney infidels".

But seriously, what makes you assume I don't want to see Bros? It's not out here yet, coming in two weeks, it's on my to watch list. Sounds like a hoot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They just blocked me and told me to go, quote, "bother some Disney infidels".

But seriously, what makes you assume I don't want to see Bros? It's not out here yet, coming in two weeks, it's on my to watch list. Sounds like a hoot.
I was jokingly referencing other users who, once they express a dislike for something, they keep posting their dislike several times a day for weeks on end.

I love FoP. But if you say you hate it and explain why... we're cool.

If you keep posting your hate several times a day... you're a troll, IMO. At that point, there's a questioning of motive and agenda... or emotional maturity.

TP2000

Oh my gosh, that's a great line! I have to remember that one. Thank you for the afternoon laugh! 🤣

Bingo. ;)

Eichner has a huge fan base. Over 2 million Twitter followers.

Assuming all 2 million are actual humans and not bots (a big assumption), Mr. Eichner needs to get more of his Twitter followers to buy a movie ticket to Bros ASAP. So far, only 1 Million people have bought a ticket to see Bros, in a nation with 230 Million adults.

Assuming that 10% of those 230 Million American adults are 2SLGBTQQIA+, that's 23 Million of us. Assuming audiences were 100% gay and the straights stayed away entirely, only 4% of 2SLGBTQQIA+ Americans bought a ticket to Bros in the last 19 days.

If the audience mix for Bros was more like 25% straight, which is more likely, that means just 3% of 2SLGBTQQIA+ Americans bought a ticket to Bros.

Americans Over Age 18 in 2022 = 230 Million
2SLGBTQQIA+ Over Age 18 in 2022 = 23 Million
Average Cost of Movie Ticket in 2022 = $11.00
Tickets Sold To Bros as of 10/18/22 = 1 Million

BrosBombs.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom