News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Epcot82Guy

When DL added SW: GE, did they change the river at all?
Yes. They did reroute it a bit.

It also was a bit different given that Critter Country, New Orleans Square and Frontierland are placed differently than MK's Frontierland and Liberty Square. Let alone when you add in Toontown and Fantasyland. Not that it can't be done. Rather that this would more take several lands to complete the circle in a meaningful way - even with a rerouted river.

RobbinsDad

Well, I'm intrigued, when I thought I no longer could be. The hard part would be of course the actual connection (assuming they can't be a dead end) of "Beyond Thunder Mountain" to what, New Fantasyland? Would rethemed ROA remain with walkways?

The reality (BIG IF) is the rest of it will likely be underwhelming. TSI would be toast I'm sure. A Casa Madrigal attraction would be really cool, but I'm sure Coco would be a simple water ride (Miguel's Adventures or something) and Villain Land(TM) would probably only have a forced perspective Maleficent's castle in the distance and a stage to do Villain stage shows year round.

I'm sure we'll be able to enjoy all of this in 2032.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I think it stinks to see blue sky work when you have an unused attraction space in Tomorrowland and, in my opinion, two attractions there that need replacing, but this probably is the kind of thing that interests executives and WDI more.
I think it’s good to know significant expansion is being seriously considered, but I agree that it’s utterly nuts that there were no concrete plans discussed to patch obvious deficiencies like Tomorrowland, Animation Courtyard, and Imagination. I’m perfectly happy to gaze into a future that’s a bit uncertain if I know things are being cared for in the present.

Mickey5150

Fill in most of the river and build Tiana's restaurant in a steamboat along the water across from her ride. Frontierland shrinks down to 1 side of the road and New Orleans square is built for Tiana. Dr Facilier would have his attraction at the edge of New Orleans that would lead into the new villains land. BTMRR becomes Maleficent Mountain with the final drop heading right into a fire breathing dragon animatronic that is built not to fail.

fgmnt

I think it’s good to know significant expansion is being seriously considered, but I agree that it’s utterly nuts that there were no concrete plans discussed to patch obvious deficiencies like Tomorrowland, Animation Courtyard, and Imagination. I’m perfectly happy to gaze into a future that’s a bit uncertain if I know things are being cared for in the present.
Yeah, if anything actually gets done in terms of an MK expansion there is no way it is opening before 2027, while I would say that Studios should be getting something even sooner. Incredible to have telegraphed they think that park will be fine to run status-quo through the rest of the decade. That's how they got into the mess they did there a decade before now!

EricsBiscuit

I think the Encanto + Coco idea is pretty smart, mainly if they represent their own land.

Frontierland is meant to be the American frontier, so expanding southward to Mexico then further to Colombia could create a reasonable transition. At the same time, these are films that lean heavily on fantasy to bring parts of culture to life.

So, if this potential new land connects to Frontierland to Fantasyland like many are speculating, it works surprisingly well thematically as a connection between new horizons and folklore.

If Villains winds up happening too that only further helps with the transition to fantasy.
Colombia is very, very far from Mexico. They may both speak Spanish and be Catholic but that is where the similarities end. The cuisine, climate, geography are very different. Encanto belongs in the Adventureland expansion pad, not Frontierland.

spectromagic04

I don’t see how they can do all three mini lands. There’s not enough room Imo for Encanto, coco and villains lands especially if they all 3 have an attraction. I rather them narrow it down to like 2 like coco with flight of passage type ride and a legit villains land. Put an Encanto attraction in Adventureland.

James Alucobond

Colombia is very, very far from Mexico. They may both speak Spanish and be Catholic but that is where the similarities end. The cuisine, climate, geography are very different. Encanto belongs in the Adventureland expansion pad, not Frontierland.
Colombia has even less in common with the areas portrayed in Adventureland (Caribbean, Middle East, random African/Asian island of the treehouse) than it does with Mexico in a hypothetical Encanto + Coco Enchanted Plaza or whatever. Only Jungle Cruise overlaps slightly, and it’s a random amalgam.

CoasterSnoop

Point taken that both properties shouldn't represent one singular land together for the reasons you state. It was ignorant of me to group them as one land with each other and I won't in the future.

However, I believe this is all the more reason to include both (as separate lands) in an expansion like this. Mexico is as far and culturally different from the American frontier as Colombia is from Mexico, so the transition between each three would feel equidistant and therefore thematically sound in the realm of "transition from frontier to fantasy."

Not to mention Encanto centers around a family that fled for new horizons before finding the Magic -- having a land centered around the Madrigals at the midpoint between frontier and fantasy at least makes thematic sense to me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don’t see how they can do all three mini lands. There’s not enough room Imo for Encanto, coco and villains lands especially if they all 3 have an attraction. I rather them narrow it down to like 2 like coco with flight of passage type ride and a legit villains land. Put an Encanto attraction in Adventureland.

Even without re-routing the river there is still plenty of land. If there were to re-route Floridian Way and the canal they would have even more space.

1662943556378.png

SplashJacket

The individual IPs are irrelevant, but the Blue Sky concepts show what areas they are thinking about, and that's what interests me. They will either try to preserve Rivers of America or give it the axe. The first possibility based on the concept is preserving RoA. I don't think this will be the route they go.
497b9cc7e40bace01dea042b1543d898.png
559f09fcdc72e0863c59b33515869a6e.png

Then we have Rivers of America getting the Axe route (the route I think they're taking).

666903ead9c6ea2a85e400d37faf51ad.jpg
73b64a3c9fdc76180a11083a6bc47903.png
Map.png

I could be wrong about the exact placements. Coco has some elevation to it, which makes me believe that may be an attempt to get over the railroad. If that is the case, the configuration would be dramatically different.

doctornick

Point taken that both properties shouldn't represent one singular land together for the reasons you state. It was ignorant of me to group them as one land with each other and I won't in the future.

However, I believe this is all the more reason to include both (as separate lands) in an expansion like this. Mexico is as far and culturally different from the American frontier as Colombia is from Mexico, so the transition between each three would feel equidistant and therefore thematically sound in the realm of "transition from frontier to fantasy."

Not to mention Encanto centers around a family that fled for new horizons before finding the Magic -- having a land centered around the Madrigals at the midpoint between frontier and fantasy at least makes thematic sense to me.
I could see them trying to have some sort of “Latin America” theme for a land with subsections for Mexico and Columbia. I’m not sure what they would call it (can’t think of a proper name) but it wouldn’t be all that different from other lands that Disney has done with different sub areas that are only tenuously related.

Either way I don’t think they’d be part of Frontierland officially. They could even add another MKRR station on the north side in that land. Would at least offer another way in and out.

Also I’d be a fan of them making a New Orleans area around the back of Splash (assuming the path to this possible new area would go from around the RR station) with a Tiana restaurant and some NOLA themed shopping. Would make the change of Splash a bit more palatable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom