News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

castlecake2.0

The individual IPs are irrelevant, but the Blue Sky concepts show what areas they are thinking about, and that's what interests me. They will either try to preserve Rivers of America or give it the axe. The first possibility based on the concept is preserving RoA. I don't think this will be the route they go.
View attachment 666148View attachment 666149

Then we have Rivers of America getting the Axe route (the route I think they're taking).

View attachment 666154View attachment 666153View attachment 666152
I could be wrong about the exact placements. Coco has some elevation to it, which makes me believe that may be an attempt to get over the railroad. If that is the case, the configuration would be dramatically different.
I agree the second option is more likely, it’ll be interesting to see how they connect it to the HM area, HM/Small World and their back of house areas create some issues for guest flow options.

Turtle

Colombia has even less in common with the areas portrayed in Adventureland (Caribbean, Middle East, random African/Asian island of the treehouse) than it does with Mexico in a hypothetical Encanto + Coco Enchanted Plaza or whatever. Only Jungle Cruise overlaps slightly, and it’s a random amalgam.
The Jungle cruise goes through South America. Colombia is in South America. Even by having rainforest and lush jungles, Encanto is a better fit in Adventureland than Frontierland.

James Alucobond

The Jungle cruise goes through South America. Colombia is in South America. Even by having rainforest and lush jungles, Encanto is a better fit in Adventureland than Frontierland.
Right, I mentioned Jungle Cruise, but it’s literally a mish-mash of Asia, Africa, and South America. Ultimately, Encanto just isn’t an “adventure” story like the other properties in the area. You’re not journeying into unexplored wilderness, getting besieged by pirates, or taking a spin on a magic carpet. It’s about community and family and takes place in a completely settled locale. Basically all conflict in the story is familial.

Epcot82Guy

To be fair, Adventureland in MK is a pretty big mix of locations. You have the Caribbean (Pirates), Oceania (Swiss Family and Tiki) - which is somehow divided by a cartoon Arabian location (Bazaar/Carpets) and an African boat dock that travels through African and Asian jungles including a Cambodian temple and (historically) visit by a Polynesian head salesman. It actually all works better than it could (save for the Bazaar which I always thought stood out more than it should). Rather that adding a South American jungle-esque area could fit in fine given the broader adventure theme used.

MadderAdder

🤫
To be fair, Adventureland in MK is a pretty big mix of locations. You have the Caribbean (Pirates), Oceania (Swiss Family and Tiki) - which is somehow divided by a cartoon Arabian location (Bazaar/Carpets) and an African boat dock that travels through African and Asian jungles including a Cambodian temple and (historically) visit by a Polynesian head salesman. It actually all works better than it could (save for the Bazaar which I always thought stood out more than it should). Rather that adding a South American jungle-esque area could fit in fine given the broader adventure theme used.
(It only makes sense to us because we’re used to it.)

Epcot82Guy

🤫

(It only makes sense to us because we’re used to it.)

Oh - no doubt. I said worked - not made sense. The thematic messes across the parks is getting a bit frustrating. I think I gave up on Adventureland long enough ago that I just accept it. It would be far better combined into minilands that are cohesive. As in - the Moana spinner should actually go there, allowing the central plaza to all be Oceania/southeast Asia. But, why bring cohesiveness when more confusion is easier... You think these are theme parks or something??? 😆

fgmnt

I’m not sure one precludes the other.
It doesn't necessarily, I just can't square the circle when it comes to current Disney build timelines, what was covered at this presentation, and the prospects of new attractions in Tomorrowland before the end of the decade.

SNS

The individual IPs are irrelevant, but the Blue Sky concepts show what areas they are thinking about, and that's what interests me. They will either try to preserve Rivers of America or give it the axe. The first possibility based on the concept is preserving RoA. I don't think this will be the route they go.
View attachment 666148View attachment 666149

Then we have Rivers of America getting the Axe route (the route I think they're taking).

View attachment 666154View attachment 666153View attachment 666152
I could be wrong about the exact placements. Coco has some elevation to it, which makes me believe that may be an attempt to get over the railroad. If that is the case, the configuration would be dramatically different.

Yes, this placement makes sense. I wonder what they would do with that little piece left of TSI though.

doctornick

So DLR at least got their Marvel ride announced which somehow was the only actual new ride announced for domestic parks. But they didn’t get the Treehouse change or revamped Peoplemover (or TL makeover in general) that were rumored…

But hey at least they are getting some weird Big Hero 6 mini area 🤪

Just bizarre all around

_caleb

It doesn't necessarily, I just can't square the circle when it comes to current Disney build timelines, what was covered at this presentation, and the prospects of new attractions in Tomorrowland before the end of the decade.
I don’t think this presentation was anything close to an actual announcement. It was (effective?) marketing to fans like us.

That said, I agree that the Tomorrowlands on both coasts are pathetic (TRON notwithstanding). And if Disney had anything at all on the horizon planned for them, they would have at least hinted at it.

saxamoophone

EA8E4E9C-0457-4D17-A07F-602D7F715AA4.png

If you’re willing to sacrifice Small World (as is), there are some options here this opens up…

SmallWorld 2.0, B&B ride from Tokyo, Tangled bathrooms get an attraction, New Orleans Square, Coco, Villains, Encanto, a second entrance themed to Shanghai Mickey Ave, Premium Parking directly attached, and a Princess Themed hotel

doctornick

View attachment 666179

If you’re willing to sacrifice Small World (as is), there are some options here this opens up…

Removing/moving IASW is always my go to for making the most logical sense for MK. Personally I’d move it to Epcot but putting it further back in MK works too. Allows access to a ton of space north of FL without having any issues regarding the access road.

Tokyo would move it is needed…

_caleb

So DLR at least got their Marvel ride announced which somehow was the only actual new ride announced for domestic parks. But they didn’t get the Treehouse change or revamped Peoplemover (or TL makeover in general) that were rumored…

But hey at least they are getting some weird Big Hero 6 mini area 🤪

Just bizarre all around
The Encanto retheme of DLR’s treehouse was previously announced though, right?

Thread 'Disneyland to give Tarzan’s Treehouse a new theme'
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disneyland-to-give-tarzan’s-treehouse-a-new-theme.977168/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom