News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Epcot82Guy

Ironically, IASW's footprint is about the size of one of the northern Communicore buildings fully built. Not practical at all - but it would have actually fit the World Celebration theme quite nicely as well as Epcot's legacy as a permanent World's Fair. Same with COP, though the shape causes a little difficulty.

flyakite

IMHO, I have noticed that Walt seemed to want IP in Disneyland (Mad Tea Party, Mr Toad’s Wild Ride, Peter Pan’s Flight, & Snow White’s Enchanted Wish- opening day), later Casey Jr Circus Train, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes, Alice in Wonderland. Several of these opened WDW. If he had lived longer I would hope that he would have continued the non-IP attractions that we love. However, I am not surprised that IP continues to grow in the parks. Would Walt have banned each new film‘s presence in the parks. Could he ever have imagined the growth of his films beyond the space allotted in the parks. I don’t know if he could have anticipated what his corporation would look like now. Yet, he realized that there was a cross marketing process here. Disneyland helped his studio funding; why not use it to market. Bottom line, I love non-IP but IP seems to need space in the parks for those who love these stories. I’m old school, but I am intrigued with the idea of this potential development beyond Thunder Mountain. My two cents.

jpinkc

Negativity on this forum should be about as shocking as a Disney price increase. ;)

With that said, I will be more excited about this when there is more of an indication that it's actually going to happen.
What in 10 years when it will be downsized to a small village or outpost for Coco or just the encanto house shoe horned in, with little to no theming or consideration of the Park. These could be great additions to Epcot (Coco to enliven the Mexico pavalion), but God forbid them to build one for Colombia to house Encanto in WS. Its not a lack of space but a sign of WDI creative bankruptcy, and lack of leadership that understands the parks.

Captain Neo

IMHO, I have noticed that Walt seemed to want IP in Disneyland (Mad Tea Party, Mr Toad’s Wild Ride, Peter Pan’s Flight, & Snow White’s Enchanted Wish- opening day), later Casey Jr Circus Train, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes, Alice in Wonderland. Several of these opened WDW. If he had lived longer I would hope that he would have continued the non-IP attractions that we love. However, I am not surprised that IP continues to grow in the parks. Would Walt have banned each new film‘s presence in the parks. Could he ever have imagined the growth of his films beyond the space allotted in the parks. I don’t know if he could have anticipated what his corporation would look like now. Yet, he realized that there was a cross marketing process here. Disneyland helped his studio funding; why not use it to market. Bottom line, I love non-IP but IP seems to need space in the parks for those who love these stories. I’m old school, but I am intrigued with the idea of this potential development beyond Thunder Mountain. My two cents.

Aside from Fantasyland Walt Disney had his imagineers and animators work on original attractions for the parks.

Midwest Elitist

Ok, as a not snide comment, I'm pretty sure that path would mess with the Utilidor system. INSTEAD, put the entrance to the tunnels UNDERGROUND, and make the path like so:
1662952734276.png

Disone

What in 10 years when it will be downsized to a small village or outpost for Coco or just the encanto house shoe horned in, with little to no theming or consideration of the Park. These could be great additions to Epcot (Coco to enliven the Mexico pavalion), but God forbid them to build one for Colombia to house Encanto in WS. Its not a lack of space but a sign of WDI creative bankruptcy, and lack of leadership that understands the parks.
I disagree WDI is creatively bankrupt. Tokyo Disneyland attractions are still designed by WDI. The real issue is leadership. Tokyo Disneyland is still interested in providing a first class... make that world-class theme park experience.

Tokyo Disneyland is not interested in providing less for more. They're interested in providing the best.

The American Parks have been ruined by value engineering. The less is more mentality has completely taken over. The number one priority is always the financial, not the guest experience.

But when someone is willing to spend the money, like Tokyo Disneyland, I think WDI is still very much creative and able to produce a fantastic product.

Razgriz

Villains Land,
evolution of Shanghai's Pirates(try to give it more thrills to fit the villain aesthetic and distance itself from classic Pirates)...
Davy Jones, Ursula and Captain Hook team up ride

choco choco

So DLR at least got their Marvel ride announced which somehow was the only actual new ride announced for domestic parks. But they didn’t get the Treehouse change or revamped Peoplemover (or TL makeover in general) that were rumored…

The Marvel "attraction" (pointedly not called a ride in the presentation) doesn't seem much more than a Blue Sky concept right now either. Its artwork was just as nebulous and wishy-washy as the pieces for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. The only thing that differentiates it is Feige claiming they do have a story. But honestly what he said is the kind of stuff that can be cooked up in a ten minute brainstorm session. Tellingly, the crowd was rather unimpressed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom