What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

UNCgolf

Dinosaurs are always cool, and kids love them. There is nothing that will compete with Jurassic Park, or the Camp Cretaceous shows on Netflix at this point though.

This was mentioned somewhere, but I do think Disney has an angle to go for dinosaurs that are more scientifically accurate, which would differentiate them from JP. The JP dinosaurs don't look like real dinosaurs, and are more like movie monsters than anything else at this point.

lazyboy97o

This was mentioned somewhere, but I do think Disney has an angle to go for dinosaurs that are more scientifically accurate, which would differentiate them from JP. The JP dinosaurs don't look like real dinosaurs, and are more like movie monsters than anything else at this point.
Every one is so focused on the movie monster angle that they completely miss the aspect of just seeing dinosaurs. A simple family ride that is just seeing the dinosaurs could be an easy win, something like the beginning of Jurassic Park River Adventure. People go see static dinosaur figures set up in gardens and other amusement parks, they’d definitely do a family ride with full size animated figures.

UNCgolf

Every one is so focused on the movie monster angle that they completely miss the aspect of just seeing dinosaurs. A simple family ride that is just seeing the dinosaurs could be an easy win, something like the beginning of Jurassic Park River Adventure. People go see static dinosaur figures set up in gardens and other amusement parks, they’d definitely do a family ride with full size animated figures.

Definitely. The early part of Jurassic Park River Adventure is part of the reason I think the ride is one of the best at Universal.

There's also a traveling exhibit of animatronic dinosaurs (I think) that does exceptionally well.

CaptainAmerica

He’s done too much damage already.
In all seriousness, I think Chapek's legacy is far from set in stone. When we look back on this period ten years from now, I think pretty much everything that's happened from 2020 to 2022 is going to be obscured by the COVID-19 fog in our collective memories. I think people are eventually going to come to see 2023 as a clean slate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In all seriousness, I think Chapek's legacy is far from set in stone. When we look back on this period ten years from now, I think pretty much everything that's happened from 2020 to 2022 is going to be obscured by the COVID-19 fog in our collective memories. I think people are eventually going to come to see 2023 as a clean slate.
He’s a consumer businessman. He’s in over his head.

TWDC was always different and needed someone who understood that at the top.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Who understands TWDC better than him, factoring in all components? I can think of two, maybe. One is a weapons-grade a-hole and the other is a creative genius who got a little too huggy at the worst time in human history for creative geniuses to be a little too huggy.

He knows merchandising.

Of course, I thought these guys did, as well...

OIP.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm building out a D23 Odds workbook.

Here are some examples:

New Attractions Announcements:
Animal Kingdom10 to 1
EPCOT90 to 1
Magic Kingdom125 to 1
Hollywood Studios600 to 1

Classics Returning (Announcements) :
Fantasmic! Opening Date3 to 1
Happily Ever After will return4 to 1
Enchanted Tales with Belle60 to 1
Restaurant Reopens (anywhere)100 to 1
Citizens of Hollywood Return200 to 1
Citizens of Main Street Return200 to 1
Villains After Hours returns200 to 1
Jedi Training Trials250 to 1
Main Street Electrical Parade at MK300 to 1
Voyage of the Little Mermaid returns450 to 1
Paint the Night arrives anywhere1200 to 1

Much much more, where you sticking your $10 bet?

At 300-1, I'd drop $100 on MSEP returning to MK. That would pay for a couple of great cruises... on RC or NCL. ;)

doctornick

It's hard to shake a first impression and pretty much everything Chapek has done related to the parks - started from when he was in his previous role - is generally disliked. So, he's trying to climb out of a big hole.

That said, I would agree that if he goes splashy and actually builds a bunch of stuff that is popular, it would go a long way to rehabilitating his image among a good segment of the parks fans. I think people would be willing to give him a pass for the pandemic timeframe if the parks improve significantly in upcoming years.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Jrb1979

A lot of what they have done is things they have always wanted to do. Splashy new attractions isn't going to make Genie+, getting rid of Magic Express, the treatment of AP holders and the reservation system be forgotten about.

doctornick

A lot of what they have done is things they have always wanted to do. Splashy new attractions isn't going to make Genie+, getting rid of Magic Express, the treatment of AP holders and the reservation system be forgotten about.
If they actually expanding ride capacity at WDW to make Genie+ more user friendly and valuable, I think it would help to softening the hatred of it.

CaptainAmerica

It's hard to shake a first impression and pretty much everything Chapek has done related to the parks - started from when he was in his previous role - is generally disliked. So, he's trying to climb out of a big hole.

That said, I would agree that if he goes splashy and actually builds a bunch of stuff that is popular, it would go a long way to rehabilitating his image among a good segment of the parks fans. I think people would be willing to give him a pass for the pandemic timeframe if the parks improve significantly in upcoming years.

I'm not holding my breath though.
My gut tells me we're heading to the land of cool new awesome stuff... with accompanying insane pricing (and pricing schemes).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom