The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

truecoat

I received my new sticker from ShopDisney.com today.

Attachments

• wd sticker.jpg
    wd sticker.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 38

Rich T

Yep. This is what I'm realizing as I watch even the broken WDW ridethroughs. There's a little critter that's playing the harmonica (How Do You Do) and it's so obvious yet adorable. Or the birds nest outside which sings along.
Then you have the more technical ones like Zip being in the key of C, but it's raised to E Flat in the finale, giving an uplifting feel. Also WDW's finale has a sick harmonica solo.
I know it's just a ride, but man, to me it's like a piece of art that's about to be destroyed :(
Disney fans should be used to change by now. At least Tiana’s ride looks promising (and has the potential to be as great musically as Splash 1.0).

But…you wanna talk about art being destroyed? This is nothing compared to what has been bulldozed, trashed and spat on in Epcot’s dismal, continuing transformation from Inspirational Masterpiece to Moronland.

Midwest Elitist

Disney fans should be used to change by now. At least Tiana’s ride looks promising (and has the potential to be as great musically as Splash 1.0).

But…you wanna talk about art being destroyed? This is nothing compared to what has been bulldozed, trashed and spat on in Epcot’s dismal, continuing transformation from Inspirational Masterpiece to Moronland.
I don't think a single song fromPatF rises to any of those in current Splash. They get close though.

The "hub" of Epcot was always cool to me. Shame it's becoming garbage.

lazyboy97o

Maybe one day we’ll get a coffee table book dedicated to the Table that could have been, that is itself a coffee table that looks like the Table.

Dear Prudence

In the mural of Never Land in the queue, they changed the label for the tribe area from "Indian Camp" to "Never Land Tribe".
Just as an FYI this doesn't actually fix anything. They are still on an island with imaginary creatures as an extension of 19th century child fantasies. If anything, Disney is probably trying to rebrand it as "representation" they way they're doing with Pocahontas, even though Native people have repeatedly asked them to stop. It's still very much Not Good.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just as an FYI this doesn't actually fix anything. They are still on an island with imaginary creatures as an extension of 19th century child fantasies. If anything, Disney is probably trying to rebrand it as "representation" they way they're doing with Pocahontas, even though Native people have repeatedly asked them to stop. It's still very much Not Good.

You're preaching to the choir here, I just responded to someone who asked what was done. I provided no commentary on it.

Vegas Disney Fan

Shocked they're still in the ride. I thought they would be one of the first things to go as they've been controversial since well before today's PC era.

The priorities do seem a bit off, I’d place the stereotypical red faced Peter Pan Indians on par with the head hunter natives on jungle cruise for their level of offensiveness. Way ahead of Red in pirates, the people escaping the rhino on JC, or Splash.

Whether they need to be removed is debatable but some normal skin tone paint, rather than caricature red, would go a long way to making the scene less offensive and would take maintenance a day or two to complete. It seems like a quick fix that should have happened years ago.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It probably varies by year, but I was expecting a D23 bump at the parks in summer 2017, and it largely didn't materialize. The parks were shockingly dead most of the time, lines were short, and there were tons of characters out, some of whom I had never seen before and haven't seen since. It seemed like the Expo cannibalized the attendance of a lot of the hardcore fans.

The one exception was the final night, when they had a "surprise" (that leaked online) early premiere of Fantasmic 2.0. That brought over a huge contingent of D23-ers to the park.

Thanks! I'll hope for the cannibalization of attendance but will plan for the dreaded huge contingent.

I (foolishly?) grabbed an Enchant Key back in April; after being blocked out for the summer, it's looking like the weekend of D23 might be my only chance to hit the park during fall.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Random thought.

The opening moment of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is pretty meta. You enter the library and then immediately, unexpectedly burst back out into the queue area through the fireplace -- subverting your expectations of what a dark ride can and will do within the first 7 seconds. Those 1980s Imagineers were pretty clever.

tcool123

On the topic of characters, is Raya still at California Adventure? I'm heading there for my first time in a few days, and would love to see her

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom