News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MrPromey

No, Disney often makes their initial announcement and marketing rather early during the design process.

Sort of like the Princess and the Frog overlay where it's become clear they basically had nothing finalized but the decision to make a change when they came forward with that one.

Cmdr_Crimson

Sort of like the Princess and the Frog overlay where it's become clear they basically had nothing finalized but the decision to make a change when they came forward with that one.
Or when Phineas and Ferb took over Imagination plaza..
Image from Theme Park Conection
image_zps9b01c15e.jpg

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just curious..Was there any plans to have Star Lord, Gamora or Groot doing M&G's outside of the pavillion at one point?
Seems like the fact they weren't even there for the opening day isn't a good sign. WDW's entertainment is being run on a shoestring budget right now, so maybe one day, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

MagicHappens1971

Seems like the fact they weren't even there for the opening day isn't a good sign. WDW's entertainment is being run on a shoestring budget right now, so maybe one day, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Just for conversational purposes, is there a walk around Groot character developed? I feel like I’ve only seen Star Lord & Gamora.

MrPromey

I swear these boards are insane. You can say "I like pancakes" and someone is gonna reply with "so you hate waffles?"

Like no that's a whole new sentence what the hell are you talking about?

Sorry I apparently did not understand your pithy wisdom.

My bad.

Please feel free to elaborate on your point since you were refuting my point that of course people are going to expect to see what they've been shown, especially when Disney advertises that as what's coming and doesn't show them anything else that would suggest the final experience is otherwise.

I gathered from your literal words...

I think the point is that people need to learn to not do that and always take the concept art as an early vision of the project.

... that what needs to be fixed is people's expectations after viewing what Disney shows them.

Please point out to me, the error in my ways, so that we can come to a better understanding.

Again, my point is Disney needs to stop hyping crap they aren't going to deliver and if they don't want to do that, they should at least be forthcoming when plans change.

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

YOU being unintelligent is not MY problem, don't apologize to me.

My whole point was that you shouldn't take early concept art as a final product. This goes for everything, even outside of Disney and theme parks in general. A concept is just that, a concept. I don't know of any instance in which the final product was 100% accurate to the concept art. Extremely close to it? Sure, but never 100%.

Ideally, additional concept art is released over time to show an updated vision. Most recent example would be the new EPCOT art. That shows what the current concept is as of early 2022. This is why they don't like releasing blue-sky concept art because people like you will take it and run with it.

eliza61nyc

My bad.

Please feel free to elaborate on your point since you were refuting my point that of course people are going to expect to see what they've been shown, especially when Disney advertises that as what's coming and doesn't show them anything else that would suggest the final experience is otherwise.

I gathered from your literal words...

... that what needs to be fixed is people's expectations after viewing what Disney shows them.

Please point out to me, the error in my ways, so that we can come to a better understanding.

Again, my point is Disney needs to stop hyping crap they aren't going to deliver and if they don't want to do that, they should at least be forthcoming when plans change.
Why? Serious question.
A bit off topic. So I was on the building committee for my church, a two year project for a new 20,000 seat building. Yes, we presented the plans at the beginning of the project and tried really hard to keep our congregation involved but over the two year project so much crap occurred. Zoning issues, town hall, noisy seniors, township officials changes, endangered bird nesting etc etc just trying to keep up to date was extensive. After about a year we decided not to give out specifics, now I will say, with a church many of the folks we're volunteering so it is different that a major corporation but I will say it's sometimes impossible to please everyone and there is a lot of sense in not publishing your every change.

Lol I do know this is apples to oranges but having to broadcast every change that comes down the pipeline especially on a long term project, whew can get out of hand.

So for example with the Tron Rollercoaster I'm sure there have been a ton of changes since the original conception announcement, what purpose works announcing every change serve?

lazyboy97o

YOU being unintelligent is not MY problem, don't apologize to me.

My whole point was that you shouldn't take early concept art as a final product. This goes for everything, even outside of Disney and theme parks in general. A concept is just that, a concept. I don't know of any instance in which the final product was 100% accurate to the concept art. Extremely close to it? Sure, but never 100%.

Ideally, additional concept art is released over time to show an updated vision. Most recent example would be the new EPCOT art. That shows what the current concept is as of early 2022. This is why they don't like releasing blue-sky concept art because people like you will take it and run with it.
Once again, concept art is a misnomer. It is not just concepts, sometimes even being the blueprints. Even then, the issue wasn’t a lack of 100% accuracy. If you’re going to accuse others of being stupid then maybe don’t go chasing a strawman.

lazyboy97o

Why? Serious question.
A bit off topic. So I was on the building committee for my church, a two year project for a new 20,000 seat building. Yes, we presented the plans at the beginning of the project and tried really hard to keep our congregation involved but over the two year project so much crap occurred. Zoning issues, town hall, noisy seniors, township officials changes, endangered bird nesting etc etc just trying to keep up to date was extensive. After about a year we decided not to give out specifics, now I will say, with a church many of the folks we're volunteering so it is different that a major corporation but I will say it's sometimes impossible to please everyone and there is a lot of sense in not publishing your every change.

Lol I do know this is apples to oranges but having to broadcast every change that comes down the pipeline especially on a long term project, whew can get out of hand.

So for example with the Tron Rollercoaster I'm sure there have been a ton of changes since the original conception announcement, what purpose works announcing every change serve?
You still built a new church, right? You didn’t keep showing people old renderings of a church but instead build a strip mall? Nobody has said they should announce every change.

eliza61nyc

You still built a new church, right? You didn’t keep showing people old renderings of a church but instead build a strip mall? Nobody has said they should announce every change.
Yes we did but we did get a lot of the same criticism that floats around here. Now I knew Disney has scaled down every project they announce I had no idea they were totally doing away with the projects. It seems they still build what they announce it just doesn't match the initial renderings.
and yes that's what the poster said, that disney should be forthcoming with it's changes.
I thought the complaint was basically it was not the same, for example I know people complain that 7 dwarfs mine train ride was drastically cut. Was it supposed to not be a ride? They aren't announcing Tiana's bayou whatever and then building a restaurant or a mall, it will still be a flume ride correct?

Casper Gutman

Why? Serious question.

As you point out, your example is in no way comparable to the one being discussed. Disney spent years leaning on a single piece of concept art that promised attraction elements - AAs and a high-quality pre-show - that they did not actually build. At some point they used this art knowing full well it misrepresented the attraction in a very significant way. What was cut wasn’t some minor thematic detail, it was essentially half of the promised attraction experience. The depicted element was cut not because Disney is a small, limited entity struggling in good faith on a limited budget, but because they are a horribly mismanaged corporation that is broken on multiple levels and seek to invest as little into their theme parks as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom