News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Casper Gutman

YOU being unintelligent is not MY problem, don't apologize to me.

My whole point was that you shouldn't take early concept art as a final product. This goes for everything, even outside of Disney and theme parks in general. A concept is just that, a concept. I don't know of any instance in which the final product was 100% accurate to the concept art. Extremely close to it? Sure, but never 100%.

Ideally, additional concept art is released over time to show an updated vision. Most recent example would be the new EPCOT art. That shows what the current concept is as of early 2022. This is why they don't like releasing blue-sky concept art because people like you will take it and run with it.
It is never the multi-billion dollar entertainment conglomerate’s fault, regardless of intent or patterns of behavior over several years. It is always the fault of ungrateful consumers.

eliza61nyc

As you point out, your example is in no way comparable to the one being discussed. Disney spent years leaning on a single piece of concept art that promised attraction elements - AAs and a high-quality pre-show - that they did not actually build. At some point they used this art knowing full well it misrepresented the attraction in a very significant way. What was cut wasn’t some minor thematic detail, it was essentially half of the promised attraction experience. The depicted element was cut not because Disney is a small, limited entity struggling in good faith on a limited budget, but because they are a horribly mismanaged corporation that is broken on multiple levels and seek to invest as little into their theme parks as possible.
Thank you,
I missed the announcement from Disney that said every single element would be included in the final attraction. all I remember was them saying Guardians of the galaxy was coming.

James Alucobond

As you point out, your example is in no way comparable to the one being discussed. Disney spent years leaning on a single piece of concept art that promised attraction elements - AAs and a high-quality pre-show - that they did not actually build. At some point they used this art knowing full well it misrepresented the attraction in a very significant way. What was cut wasn’t some minor thematic detail, it was essentially half of the promised attraction experience. The depicted element was cut not because Disney is a small, limited entity struggling in good faith on a limited budget, but because they are a horribly mismanaged corporation that is broken on multiple levels and seek to invest as little into their theme parks as possible.
I think everyone laments the lack of animatronics, but holy exaggeration.

Casper Gutman

Thank you,
I missed the announcement from Disney that said every single element would be included in the final attraction. all I remember was them saying Guardians of the galaxy was coming.
So your theory is that the concept art was smuggled out of Disney against the company’s will and used in PR materials for years despite Disney’s best efforts to suppress it?

eliza61nyc

It is never the multi-billion dollar entertainment conglomerate’s fault, regardless of intent or patterns of behavior over several years. It is always the fault of ungrateful consumers.
why is there any "fault", from what I understand the ride is extremely nice. Because it doesn't have AA??

Casper Gutman

I think everyone laments the lack of animatronics, but holy exaggeration.
Nope. The Rewind ride may be fantastic. The heavily emphasized pre-show that is longer then the ride itself is garbage, monotonous nonsense on a bunch of TV screens. Even the rides greatest champions spend little time defending it. The promised pre-show, featuring a life-sized, three-dimensional Milano and several AAs of beloved characters, would have added a great deal to the attraction. It would also have made what is barely a Guardians attraction an actual Guardians attraction. It’s a huge change.

eliza61nyc

So your theory is that the concept art was smuggled out of Disney against the company’s will and used in PR materials for years despite Disney’s best efforts to suppress it?

What??
Okay I'm not sure I understand how we got there but no, someone was lamenting that the general public was not informed of every change in design that occurred between conception and final product and I was pointing out that there is a lot of changes that happened between the two (based on my ONE and only ONE experience) and that the company had absolutely no obligation of letting it's fanbase know of it's decision .

just for giggles I did a quick search on what the object of conception art is

What is the purpose of concept art?

Concept art helps to convey the look, feel and mood of a design idea. It is used to capture and convey the overall design vision of a project before anything goes into production, versus trying to express everything in specific terms at the very beginning of design development

Casper Gutman

why is there any "fault", from what I understand the ride is extremely nice. Because it doesn't have AA??
The “fault” is in Disney’s deceptive promotional practices, particularly the use of deliberately misleading PR materials. The ride itself is, by all accounts, a thrilling, strong addition to EPCOT. The queue and pre-show are lightly-themed, badly written, cheap looking disappointments that make the wonderful Guardians IP an afterthought in the attraction. All of which the concept art was used to hide.

eliza61nyc

The “fault” is in Disney’s deceptive promotional practices, particularly the use of deliberately misleading PR materials. The ride itself is, by all accounts, a thrilling, strong addition to EPCOT. The queue and pre-show are lightly-themed, badly written, cheap looking disappointments that make the wonderful Guardians IP an afterthought in the attraction. All of which the concept art was used to hide.
in your opinion. fixed it

lazyboy97o

Yes we did but we did get a lot of the same criticism that floats around here. Now I knew Disney has scaled down every project they announce I had no idea they were totally doing away with the projects. It seems they still build what they announce it just doesn't match the initial renderings.
and yes that's what the poster said, that disney should be forthcoming with it's changes.
I thought the complaint was basically it was not the same, for example I know people complain that 7 dwarfs mine train ride was drastically cut. Was it supposed to not be a ride? They aren't announcing Tiana's bayou whatever and then building a restaurant or a mall, it will still be a flume ride correct?
How many times must it be said that renders aren’t made just at the very beginning of a project? Most projects are past the concept design phase when they are announced. Making accurate renderings has become easier than ever which is how some “concept art” is the actual blueprints.

And yes, Disney has completely done away with projects despite being announced. Main Street Theater, Reflections and EPCOT Festival Center were all announced.

Casper Gutman

What??
Okay I'm not sure I understand how we got there but no, someone was lamenting that the general public was not informed of every change in design that occurred between conception and final product and I was pointing out that there is a lot of changes that happened between the two (based on my ONE and only ONE experience) and that the company had absolutely no obligation of letting it's fanbase know of it's decision .

just for giggles I did a quick search on what the object of conception art is

What is the purpose of concept art?

Concept art helps to convey the look, feel and mood of a design idea. It is used to capture and convey the overall design vision of a project before anything goes into production, versus trying to express everything in specific terms at the very beginning of design development
You understand that the concept art in question was not just used for internal purposes, as such art often is, right? It was used, over many years, as PR material to create a false impression in the general public.

James Alucobond

Nope. The Rewind ride may be fantastic. The heavily emphasized pre-show that is longer then the ride itself is garbage, monotonous nonsense on a bunch of TV screens. Even the rides greatest champions spend little time defending it. The promised pre-show, featuring a life-sized, three-dimensional Milano and several AAs of beloved characters, would have added a great deal to the attraction. It would also have made what is barely a Guardians attraction an actual Guardians attraction. It’s a huge change.
'Kay. I still can't fathom what metric you're using to establish that they delivered half of what they promised. You're missing pre-show elements from one piece of concept art, and the Nova Corps ship has a stand not present in another piece that they resorted to using instead of going off-model for a better visual effect. All other art is basically 1:1.

Casper Gutman

in your opinion. fixed it
I’ve read a lot of reviews praising the coaster section of Rewind. I have read very, very few saying anything good about the queue and pre-show - in fact, a more common approach is to, again, try and blame guests for the lackluster theming and overall design. If we accept the parts of first-hand accounts we like, it’s honest to accept the parts of those accounts we don’t.

Casper Gutman

'Kay. I still can't fathom what metric you're using to establish that they delivered half of what they promised. You're missing pre-show elements from one piece of concept art, and the Nova Corps ship has a stand not present in another piece that they resorted to using instead of going off-model for a better visual effect. All other art is basically 1:1.
The accurate queue art was released very, very late in the projects development and Disney made little effort to spread it widely. The piece of art under discussion received heavy PR emphasis for years.

And for a modern Uni or Disney ride, yes, the queue and pre-show are half the attraction.

James Alucobond

The accurate queue art was released very, very late in the projects development and Disney made little effort to spread it widely. The piece of art under discussion received heavy PR emphasis for years.
I recall pieces like the Galaxarium, ride vehicle, basic premise art, etc. being shown quite early and often as well, all of which they delivered on. I might agree with you if the pre-show simply didn't exist; instead, it's altered from what was shown. Even if you consider it significantly diminished from what you felt was promised, in no galaxy have they delivered half of the experience. Maybe half of what you think should be there based on the price tag, but not half of what was in the artwork.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Why was the piece of “concept art” under discussion released to the public? What was the intent behind its release? Why was more accurate art not released until the project was almost ready to open?
I find it fascinating, if not downright amusing that you feel so personally offended by the fact that Disney didn't provide you with regular progress reports and keep you updated on the evolution of the attraction throughout it's development and construction. They have absolutely no obligation of any kind to do anything like that, and getting all angry because they didn't is your personal choice and not a result of anything Disney did wrong. They shared an early concept of what they were thinking to set the mood, the provided multiple updates along the final stages of construction including showing the new 'to Disney' ride system they were going to use along with the ride vehicles. Seems they just should have said they were building a popcorn stand and left it like that until it opened.You could have made up the whole thing then and been totally disappointed by all of it.

Bottom line, this is your issue, not anything Disney has done wrong.

celluloid

I find it fascinating, if not downright amusing that you feel so personally offended by the fact that Disney didn't provide you with regular progress reports and keep you updated on the evolution of the attraction throughout it's development and construction. They have absolutely no obligation of any kind to do anything like that, and getting all angry because they didn't is your personal choice and not a result of anything Disney did wrong. They shared an early concept of what they were thinking to set the mood, the provided multiple updates along the final stages of construction including showing the new 'to Disney' ride system they were going to use along with the ride vehicles. Seems they just should have said they were building a popcorn stand and left it like that until it opened.You could have made up the whole thing then and been totally disappointed by all of it.

Bottom line, this is your issue, not anything Disney has done wrong.

Now you are just attacking people, with terrible hyperbole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom