The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

wdwfan4ver

We don't automatically ban things I'm allergic to, but basically, it has to not cross contaminate with my food. If it cross contaminates or otherwise cause a problem, then it gets banned.
I know that feeling due to my dad. Dad developed fish allergies in his 50s. He discovered it by having a Friday Fish fry at a restaurant and good thing mom had benadryl on her because he was starting to break out like a puffer fish. He also had to take benadryl a few years ago because the staff at a restaurant messed up on his salad order with them adding fish. The waitress noticed it and take it away from the plate, but the salad was contaminated with fish already.

Dad is careful where he eats on Fridays because he doesn't want any cross contamination. Friday Fish Fry is a Wisconsin Tradition. In Door county, we go to Casey's BBQ and Smokehouse before their Friday Fish Fry starts. Friday Fish fry starts at 5 there.

donaldtoo

Still wayyy too complicated and dirty for me. I pay somebody else to do it:angelic:
I’ve replaced many a car engine air filter over the years, but, never a cabin air filter…just never thought about it, and how long have those actually been a thing…?! 🤔
Replacing a car engine air filter takes all of 10 secs., as does the filter for our home central heat and air.

Just Googled car cabin filters…

26207ECD-6FC0-4004-8D7C-76C7D6595DDE.jpeg

donaldtoo

My jeep renegade is much harder. Have to remove tons of screws, remove light connection, glove box, then more screws then the filter. It takes awhile.
My old Cavalier was much easier!

Yep, so many differences between makes and models. My BIL in Houston once owned a Chrysler Sebring convertible. The battery was located just in front of the wheel well in front of the drivers side wheel. According to my BIL, and the screenshot from a video below, you had to remove the front wheel to get to it. Although, I did run across an article that said all you need to do is turn the front wheels to the right until they lock, and you can access the battery without removing the drivers side wheel.
Not as easy access, but, still doable, and you don’t have to go through the trouble of removing the wheel.
Either way, sounds like a PITA.

1E300CCC-F0D8-49D2-9A55-16365C440882.jpeg

Lilofan

I’ve replaced many a car engine air filter over the years, but, never a cabin air filter…just never thought about it, and how long have those actually been a thing…?! 🤔
Replacing a car engine air filter takes all of 10 secs., as does the filter for our home central heat and air.

Just Googled car cabin filters…

View attachment 640698
After about a year, every year , my cabin air filters are black and I change them. If you've never replaced a cabin air filter in the last several years in your car, surprised your AC is still running efficiently and or what you are breathing in through the dashboard vents is not good for your lungs .

Songbird76

My grandma spent the night one time and was very shocked to find we have no peanut butter in the house. When we go stay with my aunt, my aunt purges her house of all the stuff I'm allergic to (she has a grandson who lives next door and comes over to eat...and he definitely wouldn't be careful about cross contaminating) so my grandma has to go next door for her peanut butter if she wants it that badly.

We don't automatically ban things I'm allergic to, but basically, it has to not cross contaminate with my food. If it cross contaminates or otherwise cause a problem, then it gets banned. Peanut butter got banned after my dad kept sticking the knife he uses for peanut butter in the grape jelly (which I eat). Mom finally decided that was it for the peanut butter. If my brother wants a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, he gets an uncrustable, throws away the wrapper, and immediately puts his plate in the dishwasher.

Fresh pineapple is also banned; my mom only gets is precut and seals it in a container, and she only eats it when I'm not around. My dad was buying this pineapple pancake mix in Hawaii. That was banned when he used the same spatula for the pineapple pancakes on the regular pancakes.

My dad can have candy with nuts in it, but he has to keep it in his office. My mom buys pecans sometimes but eats them outside and keeps them sealed inside.
I have a question about this....(very smart of your mom to be so vigilent) I've seen things from the states about kids not being allowed to take PBJ sandwiches to school for lunch because of kids with allergies. But as a kid, that's the only kind of sandwich I would eat. I would have had to starve at school. I was very picky and wouldn't eat most of the things they served in the cafeteria, so I always brought my own lunch up until I got into high school where they had a salad bar. Is sitting in the same room with a person with a PBJ sandwich a huge trigger? And if you can't be around it, how do you control the environment outside of your house? You can't realistically tell people at work that they can't eat what they like, or tell a restaurant that they can't cook food with allergins while you're there. Like, if you go to 'Ohana, you can't tell them they can't serve the pineapple bread. So how do you deal with that? If you have to go into the office, do you have an isolated place to eat? Do you avoid restaurants that serve food with peanuts or pineapple? I know you said something once about eating at Satuli Canteen and your dad was mad because you didn't go with them wherever they ate, but it wasn't safe for you. Is eating an issue for you in Disney?

Figgy1

Premium Member
After about a year, every year , my cabin air filters are black and I change them. If you've never replaced a cabin air filter in the last several years in your car, surprised your AC is still running efficiently and or what you are breathing in through the dashboard vents is not good for your lungs .
We get ours changed at the beginning of allergy season and sometimes again before Labor Day depending on how bad the spring season was. This year they'll be done again before ragweed season

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have a question about this....(very smart of your mom to be so vigilent) I've seen things from the states about kids not being allowed to take PBJ sandwiches to school for lunch because of kids with allergies. But as a kid, that's the only kind of sandwich I would eat. I would have had to starve at school. I was very picky and wouldn't eat most of the things they served in the cafeteria, so I always brought my own lunch up until I got into high school where they had a salad bar. Is sitting in the same room with a person with a PBJ sandwich a huge trigger? And if you can't be around it, how do you control the environment outside of your house? You can't realistically tell people at work that they can't eat what they like, or tell a restaurant that they can't cook food with allergins while you're there. Like, if you go to 'Ohana, you can't tell them they can't serve the pineapple bread. So how do you deal with that? If you have to go into the office, do you have an isolated place to eat? Do you avoid restaurants that serve food with peanuts or pineapple? I know you said something once about eating at Satuli Canteen and your dad was mad because you didn't go with them wherever they ate, but it wasn't safe for you. Is eating an issue for you in Disney?
Disney does an excellent job of dealing with allergies for the most part. We've had a chef come to our table because we have several people with allergies and they're all a bit different and you can have items left off the table but not out of the entire restaurant, for example CHH has a sign warning about seafood allergies
In our district they have a peanut free zone in every lunch room

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom