News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

UNCgolf

Most people don't want it back.

*citation needed

Considering the vast majority of people seem to think EPCOT was better 25-30 years ago, that claim doesn't seem like it holds up to any scrutiny.

This overhaul is obviously better than what existed before, because it was basically an abandoned dead zone before. That doesn't mean they've done a great job with it, though. They're not even doing literally half of what they originally announced.

SCOTLORR

I don't blame Disney for EPCOT's original theme dying, I blame society. People just simply don't care as much about progress in technology. EPCOT fans still do I'm sure but I'm not making any bets on EPCOT fans making up any significant portion of the global population. The 80's was overall a time where people were more optimistic about the future ahead. Now that that future has already come (in a way) and people don't seem to care as much anymore about the future ahead, I doubt the theme would thrive today like it did back then. Disney was on to something with the whole Millenium celebration era, not sure why that ended. Maybe it was just meant to be short-lived.

I'd say that my generation (and yes I'm going to just say my generation because we are at some point going to be the majority of the market in the coming decades) is somewhat optimistic about future scenarios, just not the type of scenarios EPCOT would talk about. Is there plenty of "progress" to be talked about in EPCOT? Yes! But in the end it won't matter because unfortunately so far, my generation does not care about Edutainment. 80's EPCOT is what would be nice, but 2023-onward EPCOT is going to be what's preferred by most.
I agree with this sentiment. Im not sure if it's because of how quickly tech develops nowadays compared to the past or something else, but there's a general apathy about the "promise" of upcoming tech until it's actually consumable and able to be utilized by the public. It's not so much about, "wow, imagine what society will be like in 30 years!" anymore and more about, "How can I make my life better at this current moment?"

kalel8145

*citation needed

Considering the vast majority of people seem to think EPCOT was better 25-30 years ago (and attendance reflected that), that claim doesn't seem like it holds up to any scrutiny.

This overhaul is obviously better than what existed before, because it was basically an abandoned dead zone before. That doesn't mean they've done a great job with it, though.
Simply a matter of opinion. I will reserve mine for when everything is completed.

UNCgolf

Simply a matter of opinion. I will reserve mine for when everything is completed.

We already know everything they're doing, though. It's not like they have three new attractions that they're building in secret.

Even the central plaza, which will mostly be a major improvement over the previous misguided concrete expanse, is going to be lacking a large show fountain (despite announcing they would have one to replace the Fountain of Nations). It's basically one step forward, one step back.

kalel8145

We already know everything they're doing, though. It's not like they have three new attractions that they're building in secret.

Even the central plaza, which will mostly be a major improvement over the previous misguided concrete expanse, is going to be lacking a large show fountain (despite announcing they would have one to replace the Fountain of Nations). It's basically one step forward, one step back.
Concept vs reality can be very different as we have seen. Either way it is still a matter of one's individual opinion.

lazyboy97o

*citation needed

Considering the vast majority of people seem to think EPCOT was better 25-30 years ago, that claim doesn't seem like it holds up to any scrutiny.

This overhaul is obviously better than what existed before, because it was basically an abandoned dead zone before. That doesn't mean they've done a great job with it, though. They're not even doing literally half of what they originally announced.
If the old stuff didn’t have strong appeal they wouldn’t be wrapping everything in its image.

FigmentForever96

I'll take a stab at a new theme.

Celebrating the World. The people, the cultures, the land, the water, the future, the universe and all that was and all that can be.

EPCOT - Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow
Where the real is fantastic and the fantastic becomes real. It’s fairly easy to see what they are aiming for in overall theme most just don’t want too

James Alucobond

Where the real is fantastic and the fantastic becomes real. It’s fairly easy to see what they are aiming for in overall theme most just don’t want too
Again, I think the issue is that it's unevenly applied. World Discovery, for instance ... It could actually be interesting if the central conceit of the neighborhood were, "What if some of the highly advanced races of our stories showed up to a World's Fair? What would they bring to showcase to Terrans?" You could have Xandarians, Celestials, Eternals, Asgardians, etc. giving demos of various fantastical tech like hyperjump-capable ships, multiverse traversal, time travel, etc. Instead, you have three completely disparate experiences that clearly come from different eras of EPCOT.

aladdin2007

I think the whole neighborhood names thing is not working well, it just simply should have been Discovery World and World Showcase. Its too much mumbo jumbo that no one is going to follow or care about. It does look like they have been trying to condense things a bit in this revised plan for little better outcome. but I thought I heard rumblings the neighborhood concept was going to get changed as well.

UNCgolf

Again, I think the issue is that it's unevenly applied. World Discovery, for instance ... It could actually be interesting if the central conceit of the neighborhood were, "What if some of the highly advanced races of our stories showed up to a World's Fair? What would they bring to showcase to Terrans?" You could have Xandarians, Celestials, Eternals, Asgardians, etc. giving demos of various fantastical tech like hyperjump-capable ships, multiverse traversal, time travel, etc. Instead, you have three completely disparate experiences that clearly come from different eras of EPCOT.

And even then, it doesn't seem like there's much (if any?) of that concept in Cosmic Rewind.

James Alucobond

And even then, it doesn't seem like there's much (if any?) of that concept in Cosmic Rewind.
Not in the ride itself, no, but it’s the story of the first half of the pre-show. The ride is just things going wrong after they do their demonstration. Obviously, I wish more of the filler dialogue were comparing their tech to actual concepts like wormholes or space-time folding, but alas.

UNCgolf

Not in the ride itself, no, but it’s the story of the first half of the pre-show. The ride is just things going wrong after they do their demonstration. Obviously, I wish more of the filler dialogue were comparing their tech to actual concepts like wormholes or space-time folding, but alas.

I didn't watch the whole pre-show, but yeah, I got the impression it was more about Marvel mumbo jumbo than anything related to actual scientific concepts.

The other issue is the lack of any kind of pavilion. Even the Wonders of Xandar gift shop looks exceptionally bland, but it would have been nice to see a post-ride area with some other "Xandar" exhibits instead of solely having a few scattered in the queue. Especially since people using an ILL won't even get to see those.

EDIT: It would have been really great if the ride itself was just a Xandarian technological space travel demonstration instead of the "something goes wrong" trope, but I guess that wouldn't have allowed them to use the Guardians the way they wanted. I don't mean to be too critical, though, because it's still such a vast improvement over rides like Slinky and TRON.

James Alucobond

I didn't watch the whole pre-show, but yeah, I got the impression it was more about Marvel mumbo jumbo than anything related to actual scientific concepts.
Nova Prime's speech actually approaches what I would like out of the attraction. She talks about how we're all connected through the big bang and rattles off some pseudo-facts about how long it would take to reach Xandar even if you could travel at the speed of light. She then says they've circumvented this issue by creating "jump points" to connect various points in space. Here, I wish she likened their technology to "Terran concepts" like wormholes, but she doesn't. Either way, she concludes the talk in a somewhat EPCOT-like fashion by saying that she hopes this technology that they plan to share with us helps us explore the galaxy together and create a better tomorrow.

I'm with you, though. I wish that they just followed through on the demo you're supposed to get of the tech after getting teleported to their ship instead of interjecting all of the Eson stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom