Why I may not go again

Raxel7851

Also, with phone calls you never have the time to always say what you want, it's easy for the well trained CM at the other end to distract you with waffle, which is why I refused a phone call from Disney in response to my original email.
This is just one reason why I enjoy this forum. I get the opportunity to learn UK slang words. I learned a new one earlier this week in another thread. @Diamond Dot , what’s a “Waffle”? Please keep them coming. When we’re on vacation at WDW, we look forward to conversations with our UK Friends!

Big T 1963

Yes it's expensive but so is everywhere else. . I went to WDW becasue I could go on line, get the hotel I wanted on the dates I wanted, pick my tickets, add things like Park hopper (yes you can still do all those things). But now I have to book my own flights and transportation somewhere else. I loved just walking down to the first floor at the airport and getting on a bus. In other words once I drove to my departing airport I was taken care of. Then there was checking in to your return flight at the resort. Loved it, I didn't have to think or worry about it I was taken care of. With all this it's still not the main reason I may not go again. I could handle these changes. It's GOTTEN TOO DIFFICULT. I don't want to pick my park months in advance and knowing if I want to change it later I could lose out all together. I don't want to get up early in the morning and try to get my "fastpasses" and pay for it too (I'm older and not that savey on a phone). I don't want to, at pretty much the same time as getting fastpasses because if you don't you won't get it, try to get on one of the rides that is not include in Genie+. Nope that's not how I want to relax and have a good time with no worries.
Couldn't agree with you more on everything you pointed out. Many "Guests" like myself save for months even years to go to WDW. Some of us don't have the extra money to pay for Genie + and who really wants to get up early to make reservations as this is the last thing I want to do is be on my phone on vacation before 7am each morning. Vacation is for relaxation not frustration. Boy I wish it was 2018 again , fastpass, Disney Dining plan, Disney Magical Bus transportation the list goes on and on and on... I plan on changing my plans for my 60th birthday in 2023

Pepper's Ghost

This is just one reason why I enjoy this forum. I get the opportunity to learn UK slang words. I learned a new one earlier this week in another thread. @Diamond Dot , what’s a “Waffle”? Please keep them coming. When we’re on vacation at WDW, we look forward to conversations with our UK Friends!
"Waffling" isn't a UK term. It just means to flip flop, or to speaking meaninglessly to avoid discussing the important points in a conversation.

Roy G. Dis

People who are OK with the changes and/or aren't bothered or even like the changes aren't making new threads called "Why I Will Definitely Go Again". Just like anything else in America these days, the tiny percentage who take issue with something find their voices amplified when they post about it on the internet. Everyone likes to dogpile! Even doggies!

dogs dogpile GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

kalel8145

People who are OK with the changes and/or aren't bothered or even like the changes aren't making new threads called "Why I Will Definitely Go Again". Just like anything else in America these days, the tiny percentage who take issue with something find their voices amplified when they post about it on the internet.
Great idea for a thread. Talk about all the reasons we want to go again.

Diamond Dot

I got a really quick response back from the second reply I sent to Ms Vega, it makes me wonder if they read these boards and spotted the email from her.

To be honest, I will continue to go because it's not at the point where it's beyond a joke. I did some thinking about what I found wrong with this trip regarding Disney and it was the room checks,poor quality mousekeeping and Genie+ that were the most unacceptable. I actually didn't find the crowds too bad, but, that was probably because everyone was in line for attractions. I didn't mind the characters not having meet n greets because I thought the way they came for photo ops made it fairer and quicker than the 45-60 minute lines for characters like Pooh and Tigger. to be fair, the restrooms were hit and miss, some were spotless, others were disgraceful. Transportation was better than I expected, the Skyliner is wonderful and even the buses didn't feel as crowded or as few and far between as usual, the line for MK first thing in the morning was horrendous at Pop, but, once they buses started coming the line shifted really quickly with the same at night. At the end of the day, it's the cost that will stop me going, but, I've got nothing better to spend my money on at the moment.
WDW March 2022 (1010).jpg
WDW March 2022 (104).JPG
WDW March 2022 (873).jpg

Pepper's Ghost

People who are OK with the changes and/or aren't bothered or even like the changes aren't making new threads called "Why I Will Definitely Go Again". Just like anything else in America these days, the tiny percentage who take issue with something find their voices amplified when they post about it on the internet. Everyone likes to dogpile! Even doggies!

dogs dogpile GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos
I agree with the first part of your post. Someone definitely should post a thread emphasizing what they love about the parks in their current state. This absolutely should happen. Honestly, there are absolutely several parts of the parks that I still absolutely love and wish I could visit for those reasons tomorrow, but there are so many recent changes which are awful that make the parks considerably less enjoyable for me. If I went for my first time ever tomorrow, I wouldn't know what I was missing and would probably love it, but unfortunately so many people on these forums know what they're missing.

That said, I don't think that your comment about "the tiny percentage who take issue" is accurate here. There are threads with polls that prove that a very large percentage on this forum are unhappy with the recent changes. I recommend posting a poll to find out yes/no if people are happy about recent changes. It won't be representative of the general public, but it should be a good representation of WDW fanatics. If I'm proven wrong, of course I'd accept it. It wouldn't change my mind based on my own experience, but I don't begrudge others for continuing to enjoy themselves at the parks.

Love the gif about the dogs BTW. 🤣

MickeyLuv'r

I don't know the Disney fanatics are who helped drive up prices. There aren't enough fanatics to sway them away from some terrible decisions. I don't think there are enough (at least not hard core) fanatics to jack up the prices. I think it's the general public. People say on here that for every fanatic who decides not to go, 4 more from the GP will fill that spot. While I don't really agree with that either, fanatics are just so much smaller a number to make a dent either way. JMO anyway.

For those who notice, sorry for repeating myself, but it's simply supply and demand. As long as there are massive crowds, prices will increase. One cannot complain about huge price increases, and huge crowds at the same time. If you think the crowds are too big now, imagine if they reduced prices. If you want smaller crowds, you should be lauding the price increases and hope for more to think out the crowds. If you want lower prices, you should be hoping for such big prices to get people to not go because that's the only way Disney will reduce prices. The only way to get lower prices is when the balance between revenue and crowds starts to tip the other direction. Once the attendance falls to a point where revenue is lower than before the prices increases, those prices will be scaled back with coupons. With crowds continuing to increase year over year, so will prices.

Oh, and Phil, I'm with you on getting rid of queue skipping systems all together. Disney created a monster with FP. Now it's a monster that is no longer beneficial to the customer in any way. It gots to go! 😁
I would like to think we have all learned something form the last 5 years of history, but maybe not. Pundits have repeatedly said, "X will not happen," and then X happened. Or we were told, "Politician Z cannot do X!" Then Politician Z did exactly X. So yes, it is entirely possible to complain about BOTH price increases and crowds.

Not only possible, but also possibly legitimate.

Disney has long had the ability to wildly manipulate crowd flow rate, or what I'll call CFR for short.
When you try to enter MK, you might find 3 gates open, or 15 gates open.
You try to buy a magnet and there are 1, 2, or 5 registers open in the gift shop.
Do you wait 5, 10, or 50 minutes for a bus back to your hotel?

IN VERY SIMPLISTIC TERMS: The number of people in MK is only a portion of the total equation. If only one turn-style is open, then the CFR would be very low and a group of 100 would have to wait in line. Conversely, if 20 turn-styles are open, the CFR will be much higher, 500 people might be able to enter without any wait at all. (Okay, so not quite 0 wait, but seconds instead of minutes.)

Short waits are not good for Disney.

What they want is an acceptable CFR. The more data WDW collects, the more they are able to control CFR.

The problem is that Disney has now decided a much lower crowd flow rate is acceptable. Lower CFR = more $/customer

But if you look at my random example above, it is perfectly possible that the purple 500 group paid more than the blue 100 group did. Price paid may well be somewhat independent from flow rates.

Disney is very good at advertising and offering 'sales' on Disney vacation packages. WDW prices Pop at $300 for Jan 10th, but then they offer 40% off that rate. It LOOKS like people are getting a 'discount,' but the whole ploy is nothing more than a tool to INCREASE the Jan 10th crowd.

Now if the Jan 10 crowd THINKS Jan 10 is going to be a 'slow' time of year to visit WDW, they will readily tolerate all sorts of CFR reductions, like shorter park hours.

G+ is also just another tool to manipulate us into tolerating a lower flow rate. It is a bit like winning a slot machine. The parkgoer that 'wins' a short attraction wait will happily tolerate a 45minute wait for a bus back to their hotel.

Yes, I am just throwing out random numbers that do not correlate to the real world.

I would counter your last point a little. Americans are complete suckers when it comes to the idea of 'winning.' As long as we think we have won, we are happy, and Disney is an expert in making us think we have won something.

MickeyLuv'r

Another oddity of vacations is that many people tend to pay more attention to some expenses than they do to other expenses. Forum members complain about hotel and ticket prices.

How often do forum members complain about the price of WDW margaritas?

MickeyLuv'r

I replied to the initial email I was sent after writing to the email for Bob Chapek. Here it the second reply from Claire V. As to how the cursory glance around the room that is done, most often from the doorway, can achieve what she claims these checks are for is beyound me, it's just placating waffle. Besides the return of adequate daily housekeeping would achieve that and at least you get your bed made as well. Let's be honest, what she says in the email is nonsense.
Take note of the last paragraph regarding imput from their guests. So drop Bob Chapek a line at Robert.Chapek@disney.com or contact guestservices directly. If we say nothing then nothing is changed.

Claire Vega (Disney Parks)
May 3, 2022, 8:01 AM EDT

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond back to my email.
In all seriousness, it feels like a majority of large companies now treat us this way, not just WDW.

Weather_Lady

I agree with the first part of your post. Someone definitely should post a thread emphasizing what they love about the parks in their current state. This absolutely should happen. Honestly, there are absolutely several parts of the parks that I still absolutely love and wish I could visit for those reasons tomorrow, but there are so many recent changes which are awful that make the parks considerably less enjoyable for me. If I went for my first time ever tomorrow, I wouldn't know what I was missing and would probably love it, but unfortunately so many people on these forums know what they're missing.

That said, I don't think that your comment about "the tiny percentage who take issue" is accurate here. There are threads with polls that prove that a very large percentage on this forum are unhappy with the recent changes. I recommend posting a poll to find out yes/no if people are happy about recent changes. It won't be representative of the general public, but it should be a good representation of WDW fanatics. If I'm proven wrong, of course I'd accept it. It wouldn't change my mind based on my own experience, but I don't begrudge others for continuing to enjoy themselves at the parks.

Love the gif about the dogs BTW. 🤣

You're right.

I think people sometimes miss the fact that those of us who complain are mainly doing so because we love WDW. We're so emotionally invested in it, that when we see a place that is so special and has meant so much to us (for many of us, over our entire lives) casting off the things that made it so special and meaningful, we go through all the predictable stages of mourning that loss.

We're feeling disbelief, anger, sadness, betrayal, and resignation, sometimes all at the same time, and naturally, we're going to post about it. It doesn't mean we can't still enjoy WDW, that we're blind to its good points, or that we're just a clutch of Debbie Downers who want to ruin everybody else's good time. It just means we're processing -- with the help of others on this forum who "get it" because they're going through the same emotions -- how Disney's changes over the past few years have made us feel. The fact that Disney still has some amazing things to offer isn't mentioned as much, not because it isn't true, but because on a WDW fan forum, we implicitly assume that everybody already knows that, since it's what brought us all here in the first place. At least, I know I do.

Dear Prudence

The way I see it, if somebody says they are "done" with WDW, but are hanging around WDW forums regularly, they are not truly DONE with WDW. Maybe taking a hiatus, but not fully done. Like a person saying they are DONE with sweets but still lingering around a bakery window, seeing what's going on and what's new... wondering if just one more bite will harm their waistline.

View attachment 635792

Like most of you reading, I too am "done" with Disney... until my next trip. ;)
exactly. stop saying you're not going to go, and just not go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom