News Disney World Earmarks 80 Acres for Affordable Housing

lazyboy97o

This is slightly off topic, but I wonder why Disney chose Lake Nona to be the home of their new offices. Looking at the land map, it seems they have space north of these new apartments, still on Western Way.
To be crude, Flamingo Crossing is for the poors, not the respectable office workers. That’s part of the problem, we don’t integrate varieties of housing in the US, we segregate and isolate.

DisneyRoxMySox

To be crude, Flamingo Crossing is for the poors, not the respectable office workers. That’s part of the problem, we don’t integrate varieties of housing in the US, we segregate and isolate.
Ha. That seems to be the case.
I suppose I was naive for thinking that would be a nice way to build a community.

castlecake2.0

Ha. That seems to be the case.
I suppose I was naive for thinking that would be a nice way to build a community.
I think there is also a plan to to build housing near lake Nona. As for building the campus there, I think part of the reason is there is a lot of other businesses moving in there and might make it easier to “network” possibly.

MagicHappens1971

Yep. Aprtments are getting hard to find and are absurdly expensive in some cases. It's not uncommon for Cast members to share an apartment with multiple cast members just to keep their cost of living down.

Well lets hope its nothing like the observed prices they are charging College Program students. In some cases they are getting $3600+ a month in rent from a 3 bedroom unit with 6 CP's in it. That number should be well under $2000 a month.
There are no 3 BR units at FCV nor are there 6 CPs living in any of the housing. All of the units are for 4 people. The rent is still outrageous but just wanted to point that out

thomas998

Hmmm... I could see them building affordable housing... then allowing workers to rent it from Disney so long as the workers did what they were told and didn't ask for any raises or anything else... and if a worker did something Disney didn't like I could seem them not only fired, but out of a house as well.

Company towns were bad things generations ago and they aren't going to be better with Disney running them now.

CAV

As they boast with a straight-face the majority of their CM's are eligible for "affordable" housing...Do they not have anyone double-checking these PR statements before they are released?
Did you not hear, they just hired an expert in communications!

lazyboy97o

Hmmm... I could see them building affordable housing... then allowing workers to rent it from Disney so long as the workers did what they were told and didn't ask for any raises or anything else... and if a worker did something Disney didn't like I could seem them not only fired, but out of a house as well.

Company towns were bad things generations ago and they aren't going to be better with Disney running them now.
This project isn’t restricted to Cast Members. Evicting someone is also not a simple process.

Lilofan

They should be glad they don't have CP housing curfew of only occupants allowed in the residence after 2am.

TikibirdLand

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on how single family zoning laws, and urban sprawl, are bankrupting cities because of all the infrastructure it requires. Fascinating subject.

The vast majority of American cities just aren’t designed with the density required for mass transit to be effective. I watched an interesting video about urban islands, dense housing areas surrounding the suburban business areas, that made a lot of sense though, basically very localized mass transit that stays within its neighborhood and only connects to the rest of the city via the islands.
I think Chicago’s Cabrini-Green is an example of the failure of high rises to address affordable housing. I know there's nothing this dramatic on the table for central Florida. But, it could be if the trends continue. It's sad to read how lack of maintenance and active vandalism of public housing have made them places where people would rather live in their cars than face what's going on in them. How do you prevent this from happening as density increases?

To tie this to WDW, as density of guests in the parks have increased, has there been a corresponding increase in the capacity of the parks? I think we all know that answer.

wishiwere@wdw

I’m not going to bother diving into the timing, the press release, the location, etc…. It’s needed and probably a good thing regardless of all of these other motives. That being said, if only this company was familiar with alternate forms of transportation and had the ability to move people without causing congestion and traffic jams. It’s beyond frustrating to see how things are just plopped down without a second thought. That entire western way corridor is a complete youknowwhat show anymore; especially at certain times of the day. That entire infrastructure can’t handle more cars and yet there aren’t really any other options. Hopefully something is already in the planning stages to smooth some of this out but as usual, I’m afraid it’s just going to get worse. I miss the good ol’ days way back in 2017 when the double Marriott property was the only thing at Flamingo Crossings 😂.

Joffrey

They should be doing this, but urban sprawl is bad. By building Flamingo Crossings and this proposed development where they have, they’re going to continue the destruction of open space without tackling the central issue that’s been driving the affordability crisis, the preponderance of car reliant single family subdivisions.

Wake me up when they buy up and tear down a subdivision closer to civilization to build a project like this.

Some people enjoy the smell of fresh air when they walk out their front door.
Some people enjoy the smell of urine when they walk out their front door.

Who are we to say which is bad and which is good.

thomas998

This project isn’t restricted to Cast Members. Evicting someone is also not a simple process.
Nothing had been completed yet. Disney can do all sorts of thing between now and the time any housing is completed. And while eviction is normally difficult, the proper contracts and you could easily tie a lease to employment that would make eviction easier. I would never trust Disney to do something like this without an alterior motive.

roj2323

Had to do this in late 70's working at Disneyland. It's called having an entry level job. Your point is?

The people I'm talking about in particular are trainers and coordinators. This isn't just in your words"entry level" jobs. There's people who work in the parks that have been there for 10+ years. It's their career. Regardless, ANYONE who works 40+ hours a week regardless of their job should not have to rely on other people to have a roof over their head. It's called a Living wage.

raymusiccity

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on how single family zoning laws, and urban sprawl, are bankrupting cities because of all the infrastructure it requires. Fascinating subject.

The vast majority of American cities just aren’t designed with the density required for mass transit to be effective. I watched an interesting video about urban islands, dense housing areas surrounding the suburban business areas, that made a lot of sense though, basically very localized mass transit that stays within its neighborhood and only connects to the rest of the city via the islands.
'Urban Islands' sounds just like Walt's original plans for EPCOT.

WDWJoeG

The people I'm talking about in particular are trainers and coordinators. This isn't just in your words"entry level" jobs. There's people who work in the parks that have been there for 10+ years. It's their career. Regardless, ANYONE who works 40+ hours a week regardless of their job should not have to rely on other people to have a roof over their head. It's called a Living wage.
Oh yes, we've gone down the "living wage" rabbit hole on these boards many times before.

Always comes to the same place - the market pays you for the skills/value you provide.

If your employer is not paying you that, leave for a job who will. Problem solved.

If another job also won't pay you the wage you seek, it just proves your current wage is the market value for your skills. Problem solved.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think Chicago’s Cabrini-Green is an example of the failure of high rises to address affordable housing. I know there's nothing this dramatic on the table for central Florida. But, it could be if the trends continue. It's sad to read how lack of maintenance and active vandalism of public housing have made them places where people would rather live in their cars than face what's going on in them. How do you prevent this from happening as density increases?

To tie this to WDW, as density of guests in the parks have increased, has there been a corresponding increase in the capacity of the parks? I think we all know that answer.
They weren’t talking about super high density like high rises, they’re talking more about townhomes, duplexes, fourplexes, condos, apartments… basically anything that’s not a standalone single family homes that averages a couple people on a 1/8 acre of land.

TikibirdLand

They weren’t talking about super high density like high rises, they’re talking more about townhomes, duplexes, fourplexes, condos, apartments… basically anything that’s not a standalone single family homes that averages a couple people on a 1/8 acre of land.
I think it still applies. Unless this will be mixed residential (owned, rented, public housing), I think my comments above still apply.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom