News Disney World Earmarks 80 Acres for Affordable Housing

roj2323

They're building dorms for their frontline CMs.
Yep. Aprtments are getting hard to find and are absurdly expensive in some cases. It's not uncommon for Cast members to share an apartment with multiple cast members just to keep their cost of living down.

"affordable".... i'll believe that when I see it.
Well lets hope its nothing like the observed prices they are charging College Program students. In some cases they are getting $3600+ a month in rent from a 3 bedroom unit with 6 CP's in it. That number should be well under $2000 a month.

Lilofan

Yup.
A Disney castmember works at WDW
Disney pays the castmember.
Then Disney rents the same castmember a place to sleep (taking back most of the money they paid them) so they are rested to get up and work at WDW.

It's the circle of life.
The article said the affordable housing area is for Central FL residents, not just for cast members.

Patcheslee

Yep. Aprtments are getting hard to find and are absurdly expensive in some cases. It's not uncommon for Cast members to share an apartment with multiple cast members just to keep their cost of living down.

Well lets hope its nothing like the observed prices they are charging College Program students. In some cases they are getting $3600+ a month in rent from a 3 bedroom unit with 6 CP's in it. That number should be well under $2000 a month.
I remember Cummins boasting about building affordable housing to "help". 1 bedroom apartment 838sqft started at 1300/month. For perspective apartments the same size go for around $550/month at other places in town. 3bd start at $2400. Starting pay for factory workers is $15/hr.

Lilofan

I remember Cummins boasting about building affordable housing to "help". 1 bedroom apartment 838sqft started at 1300/month. For perspective apartments the same size go for around $550/month at other places in town. 3bd start at $2400. Starting pay for factory workers is $15/hr.
$550 a month? Where? at crime ridden Pine ( Crime ) Hills near Universal or many parts of Orange Blossom Trail , Tangelo Park by tourist central International Drive etc not for the faint of heart.. One thing is for sure, the new affordable housing will not be in these parts of Orlando.

Piebald

Theres a moving to Orlando group on FB that appears to be created by some people from DIS mixed with realtors. I joined it for the lulz (although admittedly I need to purchase a house in Orlando this summer) and the group is largely people who want to move to Orlando to be as close to Disney as possible. I know this is a bit strange considering I've been a member of a Disney forum for almost 2 decades and I obviously enjoy Disney as a lifelong Floridian but the idea of moving here solely for Disney seems ...ludicrous.

But from what I can tell in that group it seems places previously known as nothing more than boring suburbs that are barely built up (Davenport, Auburndale, Clermont to an extent) are insanely overpriced now because being close to Disney at any cost means moving to these places and driving up prices. People are even going for Mt Dora, Eustis and Tavares because Orlando is unaffordable. I don't think the people also realize they're unironically pricing out the CMs who work at the place they're moving for (although that's obviously not their fault).

The market is wild out here. Theres people in that group buying homes via Zoom/Facetime. Then the juxtaposition of the WDW CM group where someone recently asked where they could live in their car is downright depressing.

CaptainAmerica

Theres a moving to Orlando group on FB that appears to be created by some people from DIS mixed with realtors. I joined it for the lulz (although admittedly I need to purchase a house in Orlando this summer) and the group is largely people who want to move to Orlando to be as close to Disney as possible. I know this is a bit strange considering I've been a member of a Disney forum for almost 2 decades and I obviously enjoy Disney as a lifelong Floridian but the idea of moving here solely for Disney seems ...ludicrous.

But from what I can tell in that group it seems places previously known as nothing more than boring suburbs that are barely built up (Davenport, Auburndale, Clermont to an extent) are insanely overpriced now because being close to Disney at any cost means moving to these places and driving up prices. People are even going for Mt Dora, Eustis and Tavares because Orlando is unaffordable. I don't think the people also realize they're unironically pricing out the CMs who work at the place they're moving for (although that's obviously not their fault).

The market is wild out here. Theres people in that group buying homes via Zoom/Facetime. Then the juxtaposition of the WDW CM group where someone recently asked where they could live in their car is downright depressing.
I bought a house in ChampionsGate in 2012 for $145,000. I sold it in 2014 for $170,000. It's now worth about $400,000.

Feelsbad.

Piebald

I bought a house in ChampionsGate in 2012 for $145,000. I sold it in 2014 for $170,000. It's now worth about $400,000.

Feelsbad.
I bought my condo for 40k. Units in my building are selling for 200k+. I kind of regret not buying in 2019 but we just werent ready. We are ready now, and houses have gone up like 100k+ than what we were originally looking at...and theres no inventory. Friend got a new build in winter garden for like 425k and I think he said someone in his neighborhood just sold for 750k.

CaptainAmerica

I bought my condo for 40k. Units in my building are selling for 200k+. I kind of regret not buying in 2019 but we just werent ready. We are ready now, and houses have gone up like 100k+ than what we were originally looking at...and theres no inventory. Friend got a new build in winter garden for like 425k and I think he said someone in his neighborhood just sold for 750k.
I'm sure they're on spacious lots of 1/8 acre, too.

Patcheslee

$550 a month? Where? at crime ridden Pine ( Crime ) Hills near Universal or many parts of Orange Blossom Trail , Tangelo Park by tourist central International Drive etc not for the faint of heart.. One thing is for sure, the new affordable housing will not be in these parts of Orlando.
Jackson Co. Indiana. I never trust when a company says "affordable housing" in general. It's still way outside the normal for the area, and would expect the Disney stamp comes with a premium.

denyuntilcaught

Ludicrous? More like lunacy. People really need to learn limits. ;)

lazyboy97o

No, they were talking about the grocery store/gas station/restaurant area that seems to end up at the center of most big suburbs.
Places not too unlike Flamingo Crossing. Imagine if these and the other residential units there were built over the stores. If they were built to easily walk between the shops, hotels, dorms and apartments it would be convenient and cheaper because people wouldn’t have to drive. Designing this isn’t hard or difficult. Changing the zoning can be hard, but not when you effectively control the zoning. Because of the pervasiveness of lousy zoning we see such mixing of uses as one offs and a luxury, not the default development pattern that makes sense.

Last edited:

WDWJoeG

Yep. Apartments are getting hard to find and are absurdly expensive in some cases. It's not uncommon for Cast members to share an apartment with multiple cast members just to keep their cost of living down.

Had to do this in late 70's working at Disneyland. It's called having an entry level job. Your point is?

Casper Gutman

I’m not saying it’s rational, but I always get a slightly sick feeling when Disney uses some of its land to build something that isn’t average-guest-facing, be it this or Golden Oaks. I know that a fifth park is wildly unlikely, and the hotels they’re building now are nothing to get excited about, but it feels like future possibilities are disappearing bit… by… bit.

I’m sure this is selfish. I’m sure this is necessary. It just seems like it could be done elsewhere, somewhere with a more pedestrian/ public transit bent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom