Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

A very unbiased article with no agenda. [/Sarcasm].

Nice that it warns people to watch the news before vacationing in FL but doesn't mention the places they are likely to be coming from have even more cases per 100k population.

The Mom

Premium Member
A very unbiased article with no agenda. [/Sarcasm].

Nice that it warns people to watch the news before vacationing in FL but doesn't mention the places they are likely to be coming from have even more cases per 100k population.
I wonder how many of the people vacationing in Florida brought Covid with them from other, high case #, areas? It's 2020 all over again.

One mitigation effort might involve people just staying home and not traveling for pleasure.

dreday3

From what I've read, hospitalizations are much lower with this variant, even with those astronomical positive case numbers.
Which if that holds, this is good. (but still bad because they are all showing up at the hospital at once!)

And once again, this variant is a disease of the unvaccinated. To be honest, if I was going to be someone who didn't give a rip about those who decided against vaccination (which I'm not), I would have zero qualms about traveling. Everyone I know who has now been diagnosed with this variant, which is a few people, are all vaccinated and all have no symptoms. They only tested to be safe.
Too bad WDW can't require vaccinations for it's guests.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder how many of the people vacationing in Florida brought Covid with them from other, high case #, areas? It's 2020 all over again.

One mitigation effort might involve people just staying home and not traveling for pleasure.
You keep bringing that up, but without and evidence or data to confirm your theory.

From the beginning of September to the beginning of December, Florida's rate of cases plummeted and stayed bottomed out. All the while people from higher rate areas were descending on Florida. Why didn't all those COVID-y tourists keep Florida's rate up, then?

1640632143638.png

Many times FL's rural counties, to which tourists do not flock, were COVID hot spots.

And do not Floridians ever leave their state, travel to a hot spot, and come back home with the COVID they picked up elsewhere?

Florida is infamously doing very little to stop community spread. Blaming it on outsiders is.... an unlikely proposition.

Vegas Disney Fan

Florida is infamously doing very little to stop community spread. Blaming it on outsiders is.... an unlikely proposition.

New York is infamously doing everything possible to stop community spread and it’s seemingly doing nothing to prevent it.

Maybe it’s time we realize there’s nothing the government can do to protect us from this virus. Get vaccinated and let nature run its course.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Anecdotal, but we were looking at DVC room availability recently. There are rooms available in the next month or two when even 2 months ago when we looked DVC was booked solid in January and February.

To everyone else: Vaccines will prevent you from dying in most cases, but they won't stop the spread. Remember that.

dreday3

Anecdotal, but we were looking at DVC room availability recently. There are rooms available in the next month or two when even 2 months ago when we looked DVC was booked solid in January and February.

To everyone else: Vaccines will prevent you from dying in most cases, but they won't stop the spread. Remember that.

And if everyone would have just gotten vaccinated, this variant would been very mild. Remember that!

DisneyCane

Back a few weeks ago when the FL cases were hitting the low point I said that I expected some kind of increase when people started coming from the northeast where cases were increasing. I didn't expect Omicron and how transmissible and immunity evading it is but I'd be surprised if the travel wasn't a factor.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And if (most) everyone was vaccinated, we'd just be dealing with a traditional virus pattern. Not implementing more mitigations. Not worrying about the unvaccinated overloading the hospitals. Again.

Johns Hopkins reported for last week that in the US there were:

80,708 ICU beds total
45,473 ICU beds occupied by non-Covid patients
16.570 ICU beds occupied by Covid patients
18.665 ICU beds unoccupied

Tell us again that the hospitals are overloaded with unvaccinated omicron Covid patients using actual data and not government/media talking points.

Vegas Disney Fan

What rules are put in place by governments and private businesses and what people actually do are often two very different things.
That’s kind of my point, there’s nothing the government can do to stop this.

Vaccines are the one and only thing that has worked. Get vaccinated and let nature run its course.

DisneyCane

You keep bringing that up, but without and evidence or data to confirm your theory.

From the beginning of September to the beginning of December, Florida's rate of cases plummeted and stayed bottomed out. All the while people from higher rate areas were descending on Florida. Why didn't all those COVID-y tourists keep Florida's rate up, then?

View attachment 610127

Many times FL's rural counties, to which tourists do not flock, were COVID hot spots.

And do not Floridians ever leave their state, travel to a hot spot, and come back home with the COVID they picked up elsewhere?

In the most recent data, the rural counties were not the hot spots in FL. The hot spots are the tourist counties this time so far.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Seriously?

If you don't know by now the issues the unvaccinated are (mostly) causing, you don't care and I'm not the one to try and convince you. Maybe someone else can?

I know many health care workers who have had to work long hours and work in less than ideal conditions over the past 20 months because of Covid. I had Covid, and knew people who have died from it, one less than 2 weeks ago. But please, try to tell me I don't care. Maybe look past the propaganda and figure out what worked to lower the numbers a year ago. It wasn't a vaccine. And miraculously, what worked to lower Covid numbers a year ago also somehow lowered the number of cases of the flu and other illnesses often seen in hospitals in the winter months. Hmmm...

correcaminos

SA stopped testing asymptomatic people
Where are you reading this? They stopped quarantining asymptomatic last week. I see zero news about testing. Unless you are referring to asymptomatic not testing if close contact... which tbh we don't do much here either. We had one instance where we tested my kid for close contact but subsequent times we did not.

This doesn't mean no asymptomatic test.

To share a friend's baby has now had covid 2x. Obviously unable to vaccinate. Got it from a daycare worker who infected a handful of kids (all sub 1). Friend did not test positive last time though vaccinated spouse did (summer time, no boosters both vaccinated super duper mild case). Editing to clairfy: this time neither is positive. I'm at a loss on what to do to get people to vaccinate. Friend is justifiably angry at the unvaccinated worker. (Shared with permission)

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Except "traditional viruses" (whatever that is supposed to mean) aren't nearly so contagious.
Less virulent but more contagious. A virus can't survive if it kills the hosts. :) The common cold, for example, is a coronavirus that travels rather easily but is rather contagious at the same time, all while not killing the host.

Last edited by a moderator:

hopemax

Less virulent but more contagious. A virus can't survive if it kills the hosts. :) The common cold, for example, is a coronavirus that travels rather easily but is rather contagious at the same time, all while not killing the host.
Viruses can survive just fine by killing the host, as long as death occurs after the infectious period ends. If a host infects new people on days 5-15, why would a virus care if the host dies on Day 25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom