Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Viruses can survive just fine by killing the host, as long as death occurs after the infectious period ends. If a host infects new people on days 5-15, why would a virus care if the host dies on Day 25?
Welcome to the world of deadly diseases which cause hacking coughs and pustules.

GimpYancIent

I wonder how many of the people vacationing in Florida brought Covid with them from other, high case #, areas? It's 2020 all over again.

One mitigation effort might involve people just staying home and not traveling for pleasure.
Aww Mom don't start off the New Year throwing a wet blanket on it. If there has been one place I have yet to read about or hear about being some kind of spreader event are theme parks. As far as travel goes unless security check points are established at every state border crossing, port and airfield with detention camps for the non-rule followers, simply put, folks are going to travel. The number of disease carriers? well, I don't believe there will be a way to figure that out. There are mitigations in place it would be very beneficial if everyone simply followed them.

mmascari

More mild in this case means it won't kill as many people. It doesn't mean people won't be affected at all.
Has anyone posted the definition of “mild” and I missed it?

Do we know what it really means beyond “not death” and perhaps “not in ICU”?

That would put the reporting in a better perspective.

Since there’s “mild” and there’s “mild”. Maybe we should be calling this “medium” COVID.

Sort of like the definition of a “short” line.

Ayla

Since there’s “mild” and there’s “mild”. Maybe we should be calling this “medium” COVID.

I think a lot of people believe if you're vaccinated and boosted and you get the omicron variant, it's nothing more than the sniffles and a little headache.

dreday3

If I'm not hospitalized and can deal with what I have at home? Yeah, I'd call it mild.

I had an infection (not covid) that lasted for weeks after our trip to Disney. Stuffed head, nasal drip and off/on cough. For me, it was still mild as I could still do my day to day activities.

I don't get it, why are we downplaying the idea that yes, if you are vaccinated, most likely your case will be more mild and not require hospitalization?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Severity of symptoms can be somewhat subjective, so "milder" is being measured by the medical interventions that are needed, are less people being hospitalized, if they are hospitalized are less needing ICU care, are less needing ventilators and are less dying.

hopemax

If I'm not hospitalized and can deal with what I have at home? Yeah, I'd call it mild.

I had an infection (not covid) that lasted for weeks after our trip to Disney. Stuffed head, nasal drip and off/on cough. For me, it was still mild as I could still do my day to day activities.

I don't get it, why are we downplaying the idea that yes, if you are vaccinated, most likely your case will be more mild and not require hospitalization?
Long COVID complicates things, as not being able to work for a significant period of time, can't participate in their hobbies that require exertion, or needing to pay for an inhaler for 6 months are not outcomes people consider "mild" even though the original illness didn't require hospitalization and was designated as "mild." We need to adequately convey that even if you are able to recuperate at home you might be dealing with COVID effects for a long time. I just tried to Google what the current understanding of incident rates is for extended illness. The top result was a Penn State October 2021 article that said it's 50% that have some level of manifestation after 6 months. That's a potential pretty long tail that most people are completely unprepared for.

mmascari

I think a lot of people believe if you're vaccinated and boosted and you get the omicron variant, it's nothing more than the sniffles and a little headache.
That’s definitely the perception I think most people have of what “mild” means in the reporting. It may even be mostly true for vaccinated people. But, I don't think that’s what the reporting on Omicron actually means.

Severity of symptoms can be somewhat subjective, so "milder" is being measured by the medical interventions that are needed, are less people being hospitalized, if they are hospitalized are less needing ICU care, are less needing ventilators and are less dying.
This feels more in line with what I’ve seen when looking deeper in articles. There’s a long way between this and sniffles for a few days.

For instance, loss of smell for a month, 6 months, forever? I think all of those fall into the technical “mild” category. Along with lots of other things I would never personally think of as mild.

Have to be careful reading the reporting about which “mild” it really is.

seascape

You keep bringing that up, but without and evidence or data to confirm your theory.

From the beginning of September to the beginning of December, Florida's rate of cases plummeted and stayed bottomed out. All the while people from higher rate areas were descending on Florida. Why didn't all those COVID-y tourists keep Florida's rate up, then?

View attachment 610127

Many times FL's rural counties, to which tourists do not flock, were COVID hot spots.

And do not Floridians ever leave their state, travel to a hot spot, and come back home with the COVID they picked up elsewhere?

Florida is infamously doing very little to stop community spread. Blaming it on outsiders is.... an unlikely proposition.
Follow the cases. They started in Wuhan China. From there it went to m
Milan Italy and fron their to New York City. Why? Wuhan has manufacturing plants for the Italian Fashion Industry and then to NYC. Where did the cases in Florida start? Palm Beach and Miami Dade Counties. What does that have to do with New York? New Yorkers have homes in both areas and it happened just after Mayor DeBlasio threatened to close down NYC and keep people from coming or going. So yes, the cases if Florida originally came from other states and specifically New York. These are the facts of the Covid19 movement around the world.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Data released today from the Florida Hospital Association -

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 4.05.19 PM.png

Full release is linked below (and they've announced they will be publishing a hospitalization and case data dashboard on Twitter every weekday by 3pm).

nickys

Premium Member
To share a friend's baby has now had covid 2x. Obviously unable to vaccinate. Got it from a daycare worker who infected a handful of kids (all sub 1). Friend did not test positive last time though vaccinated spouse did (summer time, no boosters both vaccinated super duper mild case). I'm at a loss on what to do to get people to vaccinate. Friend is justifiably angry at the unvaccinated worker. (Shared with permission)
Sorry to hear that. ☹️ I can understand your friend being angry at the unvaccinated worker, but as you said the Dad also got it, albeit mild. So equally it could have been a vaccinated childcare worker who passed it on. That’s the biggest issue with this IMO, anyone can get it and pass it on. Unless people know they have it and then isolate, they won’t realise they’re spreading it either.

Equally you can be sicker than you’ve ever felt before, but at home and barely able to get out of bed for 3 weeks or more. Yes, you’re not hospitalised but not necessarily what I’d call mild. Your chances of being that sick may be less if double vaccinated and boosted, but that is of very little comfort if it’s you or a loved one who’s sick.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That’s definitely the perception I think most people have of what “mild” means in the reporting. It may even be mostly true for vaccinated people. But, I don't think that’s what the reporting on Omicron actually means.

This feels more in line with what I’ve seen when looking deeper in articles. There’s a long way between this and sniffles for a few days.

For instance, loss of smell for a month, 6 months, forever? I think all of those fall into the technical “mild” category. Along with lots of other things I would never personally think of as mild.

Have to be careful reading the reporting about which “mild” it really is.

It seems that loss of smell is not as common with Omicron as it was with other variants.

jlhwdw

My question is when do we go back to some sort of stay at home suggestion? Does Broadway go fully dark for 6-8 weeks? Do the late night shows drop audiences again? Do the theme parks (gasp) close for a month starting next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom